“Most GORGEOUS place I have ever stayed in!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Audubon Cottages

Save Saved
You added Audubon Cottages to your Saves list
Audubon Cottages
3.5 of 5 Cottage   |   509 Dauphine St., New Orleans, LA 70112 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
10% off Best Rates
Barnegat, New Jersey, United States
“Most GORGEOUS place I have ever stayed in!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I went online and looked at all the pictures of the cottages before getting to them and saw some absolutely beautiful images and expected that maybe the pics weren't going to live up to what I was expecting but once I walked into the cottages I was completely WOWed! My butler met me at the gate and helped me to my cottage and made sure I was settled in nicely. The cottages {I was able to see several because it was a group trip} all have their own charm and character, each is decorated with a rustic charm. The bathrooms were my fav- black marble like tiles all over and just so sleek and spa like. Even though you are so close to Bourbon St. you walk into the cottages and it's tranquil and quiet. I had a semi private courtyard which was gorgeous and well maintained as the whole property was. The pool was warm and perfect for lounging around. Breakfast was fabulous, it was set up for my friends and I as if we were at home. Fresh fruits, muffins and juice and coffee as well as cereal and yogurts. The entire stay was seamless and pleasant.

Room Tip: I stayed in cottage 5 and there are 2 rooms there.. I couldn't hear my roomate at all!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Greek first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We were there four two nights and were I. Cottage 7. It was perfect I every way. Beautiful and comfortable room, great linen, minibar. Loved breakfasting. The courtyard. The pool was perfect. Just wanted to hang out there. It was the perfect place fora New Orleans summer trip. It's pricey but way more reasonable during the summer.

Room Tip: Read the reviews to pick your cottage. Summer prices are very reasonable.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The Cottages are truly an oasis in the middle ( not quite the middle) of the French Quarter. The pictures on the website are quite accurate. The courtyard is lovely with the saltwater swimming pool, private entrance and tropical foliage. I stayed in Cottage #6 which shares a patio with the cottage beside it. Right outside my door is a huge banana tree with a bunch of bananas hanging from the branches. The room is small but well appointed. Service is very good - happy, helpful staff. If you are interested in staying the FQ but would like some quite time and some privacy, this is the place for you. As a solo female traveller I have to say that I felt completely safe.

Room Tip: Note that cottage 6 is connected to another room (not another cottage). You can hear staff through...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I am so happy that I stayed here. It is one of the most beautiful, secluded, and wonderful retreats that I have ever been to. Initially, we had booked cottage #7, but when we arrived, the toilet in that cottage was broken. They upgraded us to cottage #3 for the price of #7. Classy. After checking into the Dauphine, we walked a little down the street to a green door. Never did I imagine that door would literally open to paradise! As soon as you step through, you are no longer a block away from Bourbon Street, you are in a serene oasis. Tropical foliage and a glistening saltwater pool await you. Many of the cottages have their own courtyard that is also beautifully landscaped.
When staying there you also have access to a butler that can help you with recommendations, reservations, or just a local opinion. Ours was Stephanie and she was wonderful! In the morning a lovely continental breakfast is brought to your courtyard at a time that you request. Getting out of bed, walking outside in your PJ's and sitting down to a prepared breakfast is truly being spoiled!
The room and bathroom was spotless (and I am a clean freak)! The room we stayed in had two bedrooms and two baths, so it could easily accommodate two couples. Beautifully decorated to fit the era and area. Make sure you browse through the huge book of birds that Mr. Audubon wrote and illustrated. Interesting. Also, oddly enough, you are in the middle of all the action, but you cannot hear a thing. It is literally quiet. That's worth the price alone! The room was plenty spacious with a comfortable couch and dining table. Nicely appointed with a very chic drawer refrigerator full of water and cokes.
The pool was absolute heaven! I immensely enjoyed lounging by it and swimming in it!
Only stayed here two nights, but would have definitely stayed more. If I ever return to NOLA I will be staying here! Loved it!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

This place would have to be one of the most enjoyable stays we have ever experienced. I found these wonderful cottages on Trip Advisor, and to be honest I thought the reviews and pictures sounded too good to be true and was actually worried that it couldn't live up to the expectation. Not only was it true, it EXCEEDED our expectations well and truly!

All previous reviews have described the property in beautiful details I couldn't say anymore in that regard, but what I would like to say is what a pleasure it was to have the extra components of Cody our Butler (Thanks for the Tony's!!), Jeffrey who was so informative about New Orleans and the very sweet Lynelle (I hope I spelt that right?) she was so gorgeous I could have packed her up and taken her with me:)

New Orleans was wonderful and staying here was icing on the cake, it will be very hard to ever top this stay!

Thank you to all staff at Audubon Cottages, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Everything the previous reviewers have written about the Cottages is true. It’s a secluded hideaway in the heart of the Quarter, with private, guest-only access through an unassuming door on Dauphine Street to lush gardens, luxurious accommodations, private and semi-private courtyards, a lovely salt-water pool, and the feel of your very own French Quarter residence.

We stayed in Cottage 6, the smallest, but it’s well-appointed with an extremely comfortable king size bed, a nice, quiet ceiling fan, a small fridge replenished daily with complimentary soda and water, a lovely black-tiled bathroom with great water pressure and nice, fluffy towels. Breakfast was laid out daily in our courtyard at the time we’d requested (thank you so much, Cody!), which made for a lovely start to our day. The pool was wonderful and felt like our very own as we hardly ever saw the other guests.

AND NOW FOR THE CAVEAT. We found out – the hard way – that Cottages 5 and 6 share one thermostat. When we were shown to Cottage 6 upon arrival, we were told to keep the thermostat at 70ºF and NOT to touch the thermostat no matter what, no explanation given. Since the temperature in the room was just the way we liked it, we saw no problem with the butler’s admonition. Everything was fine until our last night there, when someone checked into Cottage 5. At around 10 pm, I noticed that the room and the en suite bathroom, had gotten rather warm. When I checked the thermostat, it read 73ºF (neither my husband nor I had touched it). A half hour later, it read 74ºF and it was now pretty uncomfortable inside our room. I called the front desk and spoke to Jamal, the night desk clerk. I explained the situation to him and he was the first staff member to mention something about the shared thermostat (a detail we were not made aware of when we checked in or at any time during the reservation process). Jamal called the ‘guest’ (and I use that word loosely) in Cottage 5 to see if he would kindly readjust the thermostat in his cottage, only to be screamed at by this individual, accusing Jamal of waking him up. It was now past 11 pm. Our room had gotten even warmer and staying there was now out of the question so Jamal sent someone over to move us to Cottage 7. Talk about packing up in a hurry.

The next morning, I spoke to the hotel manager, Shaun Gray, about the previous night’s incident. He was extremely apologetic and comped us one night’s stay. He explained that at one point Cottages 5 & 6 were advertised as a 3-bedroom cottage, but since hardly anyone needs a 3-bedroom cottage, management decided to advertise them as two separate cottages. He promised he would mention the incident at their next management meeting so that other guests wouldn’t have to experience what we did.

It’s a shame that that unfortunate incident colored our overall impression of the Cottages, because the staff truly is top notch (thank you so much Shaun, Jamal and Cody for all your hard work). But paying top dollar for the privilege of staying at the Audobon Cottages shouldn’t mean having to move in the middle of the night because two cottages share one thermostat.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Was in New Orleans with girlfriends celebrating 40th birthday. Stayed in Cottage #4 which was 2 floors with 2 bedrooms and a private courtyard.

We absolutely loved every moment in our private paradise. The cottage was beautifully decorated and very well appointed. Bathrooms are luxurious. We LOVED having breakfast in our private courtyard every morning. Beds were extremely comfortable.

The history and energy of the cottages was amazing. The pool was fabulous. We tried to spend some time daily hanging by the pool. Grounds were impeccably maintained and stunning. It truly felt like walking into a hidden paradise every time we walked off Dauphine Street into the cottages. A peaceful beautiful retreat in the middle of the hustle and bustle of the French Quarter. The location was fantastic. Steps away from dozens of great restaurants, pubs, bars, coffee shops, boutiques, etc. Was even a general store on the corner. Would highly recommend Bayona Restaurant which was just down the street. Also did a spa day at the Ritz which was a couple blocks away.

Service was impeccable. We were greeted with champagne on checkin. The housekeeping staff were awesome. Having a private butler was a nice touch as well.

Overall, we absolutely adored our time spent at the cottages. Would highly recommend. Would go back in a heartbeat and was sorry to leave.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Audubon Cottages? Share your experiences!