“Unassuming Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
10% off Best Rates
“Unassuming Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I am so happy that I stayed here. It is one of the most beautiful, secluded, and wonderful retreats that I have ever been to. Initially, we had booked cottage #7, but when we arrived, the toilet in that cottage was broken. They upgraded us to cottage #3 for the price of #7. Classy. After checking into the Dauphine, we walked a little down the street to a green door. Never did I imagine that door would literally open to paradise! As soon as you step through, you are no longer a block away from Bourbon Street, you are in a serene oasis. Tropical foliage and a glistening saltwater pool await you. Many of the cottages have their own courtyard that is also beautifully landscaped.
When staying there you also have access to a butler that can help you with recommendations, reservations, or just a local opinion. Ours was Stephanie and she was wonderful! In the morning a lovely continental breakfast is brought to your courtyard at a time that you request. Getting out of bed, walking outside in your PJ's and sitting down to a prepared breakfast is truly being spoiled!
The room and bathroom was spotless (and I am a clean freak)! The room we stayed in had two bedrooms and two baths, so it could easily accommodate two couples. Beautifully decorated to fit the era and area. Make sure you browse through the huge book of birds that Mr. Audubon wrote and illustrated. Interesting. Also, oddly enough, you are in the middle of all the action, but you cannot hear a thing. It is literally quiet. That's worth the price alone! The room was plenty spacious with a comfortable couch and dining table. Nicely appointed with a very chic drawer refrigerator full of water and cokes.
The pool was absolute heaven! I immensely enjoyed lounging by it and swimming in it!
Only stayed here two nights, but would have definitely stayed more. If I ever return to NOLA I will be staying here! Loved it!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

64 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Greek first
australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

This place would have to be one of the most enjoyable stays we have ever experienced. I found these wonderful cottages on Trip Advisor, and to be honest I thought the reviews and pictures sounded too good to be true and was actually worried that it couldn't live up to the expectation. Not only was it true, it EXCEEDED our expectations well and truly!

All previous reviews have described the property in beautiful details I couldn't say anymore in that regard, but what I would like to say is what a pleasure it was to have the extra components of Cody our Butler (Thanks for the Tony's!!), Jeffrey who was so informative about New Orleans and the very sweet Lynelle (I hope I spelt that right?) she was so gorgeous I could have packed her up and taken her with me:)

New Orleans was wonderful and staying here was icing on the cake, it will be very hard to ever top this stay!

Thank you to all staff at Audubon Cottages, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Everything the previous reviewers have written about the Cottages is true. It’s a secluded hideaway in the heart of the Quarter, with private, guest-only access through an unassuming door on Dauphine Street to lush gardens, luxurious accommodations, private and semi-private courtyards, a lovely salt-water pool, and the feel of your very own French Quarter residence.

We stayed in Cottage 6, the smallest, but it’s well-appointed with an extremely comfortable king size bed, a nice, quiet ceiling fan, a small fridge replenished daily with complimentary soda and water, a lovely black-tiled bathroom with great water pressure and nice, fluffy towels. Breakfast was laid out daily in our courtyard at the time we’d requested (thank you so much, Cody!), which made for a lovely start to our day. The pool was wonderful and felt like our very own as we hardly ever saw the other guests.

AND NOW FOR THE CAVEAT. We found out – the hard way – that Cottages 5 and 6 share one thermostat. When we were shown to Cottage 6 upon arrival, we were told to keep the thermostat at 70ºF and NOT to touch the thermostat no matter what, no explanation given. Since the temperature in the room was just the way we liked it, we saw no problem with the butler’s admonition. Everything was fine until our last night there, when someone checked into Cottage 5. At around 10 pm, I noticed that the room and the en suite bathroom, had gotten rather warm. When I checked the thermostat, it read 73ºF (neither my husband nor I had touched it). A half hour later, it read 74ºF and it was now pretty uncomfortable inside our room. I called the front desk and spoke to Jamal, the night desk clerk. I explained the situation to him and he was the first staff member to mention something about the shared thermostat (a detail we were not made aware of when we checked in or at any time during the reservation process). Jamal called the ‘guest’ (and I use that word loosely) in Cottage 5 to see if he would kindly readjust the thermostat in his cottage, only to be screamed at by this individual, accusing Jamal of waking him up. It was now past 11 pm. Our room had gotten even warmer and staying there was now out of the question so Jamal sent someone over to move us to Cottage 7. Talk about packing up in a hurry.

The next morning, I spoke to the hotel manager, Shaun Gray, about the previous night’s incident. He was extremely apologetic and comped us one night’s stay. He explained that at one point Cottages 5 & 6 were advertised as a 3-bedroom cottage, but since hardly anyone needs a 3-bedroom cottage, management decided to advertise them as two separate cottages. He promised he would mention the incident at their next management meeting so that other guests wouldn’t have to experience what we did.

It’s a shame that that unfortunate incident colored our overall impression of the Cottages, because the staff truly is top notch (thank you so much Shaun, Jamal and Cody for all your hard work). But paying top dollar for the privilege of staying at the Audobon Cottages shouldn’t mean having to move in the middle of the night because two cottages share one thermostat.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Was in New Orleans with girlfriends celebrating 40th birthday. Stayed in Cottage #4 which was 2 floors with 2 bedrooms and a private courtyard.

We absolutely loved every moment in our private paradise. The cottage was beautifully decorated and very well appointed. Bathrooms are luxurious. We LOVED having breakfast in our private courtyard every morning. Beds were extremely comfortable.

The history and energy of the cottages was amazing. The pool was fabulous. We tried to spend some time daily hanging by the pool. Grounds were impeccably maintained and stunning. It truly felt like walking into a hidden paradise every time we walked off Dauphine Street into the cottages. A peaceful beautiful retreat in the middle of the hustle and bustle of the French Quarter. The location was fantastic. Steps away from dozens of great restaurants, pubs, bars, coffee shops, boutiques, etc. Was even a general store on the corner. Would highly recommend Bayona Restaurant which was just down the street. Also did a spa day at the Ritz which was a couple blocks away.

Service was impeccable. We were greeted with champagne on checkin. The housekeeping staff were awesome. Having a private butler was a nice touch as well.

Overall, we absolutely adored our time spent at the cottages. Would highly recommend. Would go back in a heartbeat and was sorry to leave.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Southaven, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My recent stay at Audubon Cottages was very good! It is truly a hidden treasure near the Bourbon St. area and when you stay there, you do not feel like you are in New Orleans, or atleast I didn't. It was a nice escape from the hustle and bustle of Bourbon, which is only a few steps away. The private pool at the cottages is ideal for anyone who would like a bit more privacy, although I didn't get to enjoy the pool since it was cool while I was there. There is always a lovely courtyard that is ideal for socializing and relaxing or sitting outside on a lovely day to do some work if you are there on business.

When checking in, you have to go down the street. It's not at the cottages themselves, which was a bit confusing for those who are arriving for the first time, but it all worked out.

The decor was beautiful in our cottage and felt very welcoming and cozy. The linens were very comfortable and I felt like I was sleeping at home in my own bed rather than a hotel bed.

Everything overall was wonderful and I would absolutely return! The only 2 things I was not happy about were: 1. When we checked in it was going to be a bit before they got our bags to our room, so we told them we would go walk around for about 30 minutes or so. When we got to our cottage, we did not have to use our key to get in because the door was unlocked. We were not happy about this because our computers and other personal belongings were in there. 2. Each morning they brought their complimentary breakfast to our room. It was a nice selection and nice to have it brought to us. The day we were checking out, we expected breakfast delivered once again. We had called the night before to tell them what time we wanted it delivered to our room (like we were instructed to do) and that morning, our breakfast never showed up. We had to call to inquire about it and they said our butler was not there so we would have to come down to the main area for breakfast. This was a bit annoying since it was the day we were leaving and out of all days it was going to be more convenient to have our breakfast delivered rather than having to walk down to the office area to get it ourselves. But again, it worked out and the area where the breakfast was had everything set out very nicely!

But other than those 2 things, everything was wonderful and I look forward to returning to Audubon Cottages in the near future!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Audubon Cottages at the end of Feb/first weekend in March, and had a wonderful time. The property is magical; step through the unassuming door on Dauphine St and you find yourself in a narrow tree-lined passage leading to a beautiful pool and private, intimate courtyards.

Our cottage (#7) was utterly silent, even being only a block from Bourbon St it was a wonderfully silent retreat from the noise of the city. The room was perfectly clean and well appointed with painted brick and, of course, Audubon prints. The bed was incredibly comfortable, the fridge stocked with sodas and water, and great hot water pressure in the glossy black tiled shower.

The cottage shares it's courtyard with its neighbour, but we couldnt tell if it was occupied at the time (there wasnt a time when we ran into other guests, so it truly felt like we had the property to ourselves.) Gorgeous banana trees shade the entrance to the private courtyard, off the corner of the pool, and stunning red camellias from the next courtyard over hung over the brick wall. The Quarter, of course, is a fantastic and dizzying place, and having our own hidden secret retreat in the center of it all just made an already dreamy experience even better.

The staff were *amazing*... our butler, Stephanie, was wonderful and attentive, and if you're looking for restaurant recommendations, seek Jeffrey out; every single place he recommended was a 100% on-target win, exactly what we were looking for in stunning New Orleans dining (Bayona, just down Dauphine from the cottages, is WONDERFUL. Make sure you go at least once). Housekeeping staff was also wonderful and sweet, checking in a few times during our stay to see if there was anything at all we needed. Even Roderick, the previous butler (who now works for the property management company) stopped by and chatted with us for a bit... and, if anything was clearly obvious, he and ALL of the staff that we met had a clear and visible love for the property.

We will *definitely* be back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

When I have stayed here before, the Cottages were connected with the Maison de Ville. Now they are operated by something called the New Orleans Hotel Group. When I have stayed here before I stayed in Cottage #5 or #6. This trip was my first time in Cottage #7. Previously I could not have asked for better service in a secluded, relaxing, private cocoon of restfulness.

That was then... This is now... We arrived on Tuesday, March 19th, departed Saturday, March 23rd. I believe we arrived at the same time as the couple in a previous review who stayed in Cottage #6. There was much drama about those missing keys to their cottage, to the extent that the bellman & the butler would get us 3 or 4 steps down the street with our bags, then be distracted back to the key situation, then off we'd go again, then stop, the start, then stop...

But first, the good... History, beauty, lovely furnishings, historic gorgeous grounds... This place is a hidden jewel in the French Quarter. Like a geode, unassuming & plain on the outside, filled with astonishingly breath-taking crystals on the inside! Recently renovated baths, walk in showers & dual flush toilets (always good to conserve). Frig & ice maker in the room, restocked complimentary beverages each day. Free WiFi. Huge tall ceilings, original exposed brick walls & beams. Just what you think of when you think of a lovingly restored centuries old New Orleans cottage. Plus! An actual OPERATIONAL thermostat on the wall. When you turn it down, miracle of miracles, things get COLDER!!! No room occupancy sensors that return the room to 80°F when you are absent. Plus! Ceiling fans in the room! What a delightful relief.

But alas… this stay at The Cottages also brought many disappointments.

1. Supposed to have a "semi-private walled courtyard with fountain" shared with one other cottage. Shared with 1 other cottage, yes... but... the courtyard also had a "service entrance" and a "storage area" contained within it (unlike Cottages #5 and #6 which share a courtyard but do not contain service entrances & storage areas). The service entrance opened onto the street & was left open almost constantly while maintenance workers trouped back & forth through the courtyard ALL day long. The storage area turned out to be the housekeeping cart storage. By midday the housekeepers had amassed the linen from all 7 cottages contained in 10 or 12 clear plastic laundry bags, all stacked on the ground at one end of the courtyard, along with a couple of housekeeping carts. The housekeepers congregated in the end of the courtyard chattering among themselves or with the construction workers as they traversed the courtyard. The Cottages 'butlers' also came and went through the service entrance taking a path through our courtyard to deliver breakfast to other cottages when they could have used the main entrance and disturbed no one. We had breakfast delivered at 9:00am, but the used dishes and remnants of breakfast were often still on the table in the early afternoon. All this traffic made us feel like an interlopers if we tried to sit in the courtyard, resulting in us not using the area at all. This courtyard is the primary reason for choosing this property in the first place, but when you feel like you are invading the break room for the hotel staff & maintenance department when you attempt to use it, you quickly retreat to the confines of your room and close the door.

2. On previous stays, breakfast was coffee, juice & a basket of FRESH croissants & pastries. This breakfast was a fruit plate, most of which was not quite ripe melon & strawberries plus a banana, some pastries which were of the quality you might purchase at Sam's Club or GFS, and a few of the single serve sizes of Post Cereals. Breaks my heart to say it, but it was the sort of thing you might find on the breakfast bar at Shoney’s. So sad in a town with such a great food culture.

3. Each cottage has a "butler" who is there to, well, be a BUTLER... Purportedly from 7am to 7pm. First day ours left at 5pm. The only request we made was heavy cream for our coffee. There does not exist a kitchen in New Orleans that does not contain a quart of heavy cream, but this girl was flummoxed. To ask the kitchen to pour a little cream into a glass and bring it along was WAY outside the box for her. The best she could do was to say she'd "see what she could do". Seems that what she could do was a repeat of the handful of little plastic containers of half & half, which had comprised the initial offering, which was what prompted my request for the heavy cream, so I'm wondering if she bothered to ask the kitchen for anything that wasn't already sitting on the saran wrap covered tray marked "Cottage 7" in the first place. Finally obtained heavy cream from a wonderful waiter at NOLA who poured me a to-go cup full, put a lid on it and charged us nothing for his trouble.

3. The bed was hard as a rock. Decent (not great) pillows, lovely linen… but hard.

4. We left on a Saturday. Apparently our butler was a M-F girl. On Saturday we planned to enjoy our breakfast, then catch a cab and get to the airport in a leisurely fashion. Since our M-F butler was not there on Saturday morning, and we had not assumed the responsibility of calling the main desk to tell them we still wished breakfast at the same time on Saturday, our Saturday butler decided we didn't want any. As we were leaving the cottage with our bags he came over from where he had been chatting up the housekeepers in the corner of our semi-private courtyard and wondered if we might not like some coffee.

5. Under the heading of just not having a grip on the environment, the bellman thought it would be a good idea for us to take a rickshaw type bicycle-cab to a restaurant 3 miles away on Canal Street, which is a 6 lane divided, very busy street packed with buses, cars and trolleys... Seriously?

6. You can pay $350 to $1000 per night for a stay at the Audubon Cottages, and it ought to be worth it. Has been worth it in the past. Now... not so much. Considering we were deprived of the enjoyment of the courtyard by the presence of dirty dishes, piles of dirty laundry & throngs of service personnel, had only one request of the butler which seemed to go unaddressed, could have, and did, in fact obtain fresher pastries at the corner grocery, it certainly was not worth what we paid. We would have been much better off with room service at the Omni Royal.

7. One last thing... Not that we could have ever occupied the courtyard to enjoy it, but the fountain didn't work. I'm not sayin'.... I'm just sayin'... And that's all I'm sayin'...

Room Tip: Cottages #1 and #7 share a courtyard as I described above, with a heavily used service entrance onto...