“Private courtyard in the French Quarter” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Audubon Cottages

Save Saved
You added Audubon Cottages to your Saves list
Audubon Cottages
3.5 of 5 Cottage   |   509 Dauphine St., New Orleans, LA 70112 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
10% off Best Rates
Auburn, Alabama
“Private courtyard in the French Quarter”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

What a wonderful surprise! I have already told many of my friends!
I am HAPPY to recommend the cottages to everyone!! I have stayed in all types of hotels, etc. all over the world--from the Ritz in Paris to B&B's in Turkey--your cottage was wonderful!
I liked the mix of antiques with the very modern baths. We especially enjoyed drinking wine in our private courtyard at dusk--listening to jazz being played somewhere in the quarter! The service was great.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Greek first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Love, Love this very elegant private quiet cottage! Our butler Jeff Friedland set up the VIP Historical tour for us. He gave us wonderful suggestions of where to dine since this was my first time in this city, not sure where to start. Definitely ask for Jeff to be your butler and of course our very sweet housekeeper lanette made us feel like family. I don't want to say too much because after all it is the best kept secret,

• Stayed February 2013
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

From the rustic yet modern accommodations to the delectable breakfast served in-room by the personal butler service, Audubon Cottages exceeded all of my family's expectations. The prime location enabled us to valet our vehicle for the duration of our stay and walk to all of our destinations. I can’t think of another place in The French Quarter that offers the privacy of the Audubon Cottages’ courtyards while being just steps away from the action and attractions that the Big Easy is known for. If you are considering a stay in New Orleans, this luxurious oasis is sure to impress.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with any of the seven cottages. I really loved the balcony of Cottage Four th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

With the frenetic energy of the French Quarter, Audubon Cottages are your own private heaven. Had an amazing stay with a great staff including our butlers Jeff and Jennifer. Due to a storm in the Northeast - we "unfortunately" had to stay an extra 2 nights - and management couldn't be more accommodating. Would definitely visit again. Thanks to all for a great stay!

Room Tip: Any room is a good room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

New Orleans is decidedly one of the funkiest, liveliest, and loveliest places we've ever encountered. Because our magazine's purview is the South--its literature, culture, music, and art--New Orleans serves as an important touchstone, and we're there often. The Quarter has been home to a bohemian artistic community for nearly a century, though it also boasts plenty of high-end businesses and institutions, as well as the abrasively over stimulating tourists traps on Bourbon Street.

The Quarter contains international chain hotels, condo timeshares, and local hotels and B&Bs, but nothing compares to the Audubon Cottages. Tucked away amidst the rollicking and bustle of the Quarter, the cottages allow you to reset and relax (if you wish) in a beautifully secluded area just a stone's throw away from the action. It's honestly eerie how you'll feel transported miles away from the Quarter--how does it suddenly smell nice? where's all the noise? the people?

Besides the fantastic location, the accommodations are fantastic in general. The rooms are charming and the history's intoxicating (Elizabeth Taylor frequented our cottage; Tennessee Williams stayed in the hotel and undoubtedly penned parts of A Streetcar Named Desire there). There's a heated pool that allowed us to take a dip in December (granted, it's New Orleans, so the outside temperature hovered around the 70s).

—The Oxford American crew

Room Tip: Ask for Jeffrey and Roderick…who took such good care of us and made us feel like we were “coming hom...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Sacramento
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

As a mature professional lady, I frequently travel solo for business and pleasure. It had been 35 years ago since I last visited New Orleans, and I eagerly anticipated an extended stay in the city after disembarking my Mississippi River cruise last December.

When I began searching for a lodging that that would meet my high standards , I was indeed fortunate to discover the newly renovated Audubon Cottages that are a part of the prestigious “New Orleans Hotel Collection.”

Hidden behind a high brick wall with its own private gate on Dauphine Street, the cottages are a secluded fantasy retreat in the heart of the French Quarter. They even have their own gracious butler, Roderick who gave me his cell phone number and encouraged me to contact him with any request. There was seemingly nothing Roderick couldn’t accomplish. It was apparent he had seen it all.

The antiques and vintage reproductions in the seven French Creole cottages reflect the charm of old New Orleans while offering modern amenities such as WiFi, flat screen tvs, and refrigerators. They share a central courtyard with a heated salt pool that is one of the oldest in the French Quarter.

My cozy cottage Number One with its original exposed brick walls and beams had two bedrooms and baths, a spacious living room, dining area and private patio. It had been Audubon’s home as he completed his Birds in America series in the early 19th century.

When I peeked out the living room window at the crack of dawn each morning, a vacuum pot of steaming hot coffee and a continental breakfast tray were waiting outside on my patio’s table.
As I turned the key in the gate each evening after a full day of exploring, I actually felt as though I were living in the French Quarter. Only a few blocks away, there was Jackson Square and the French Market.

Whatever your wish –quiet comfort during a business trip, a romantic weekend getaway, or Mardi Gras fun, in New Orleans it can’t get much better than this.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My wife, 25 year-old son, and I went down to New Orleans the day after Christmas to see old friends and explore the fantastic food and music culture of New Orleans. I have been to New Orleans more than a dozen times on business and pleasure, and I can say unequivocally that the Audubon Cottages was the best place I have ever stayed in New Orleans. The cottages are affiliated with the Dauphine Orleans Hotel, but they are about a block away from the hotel. To get to your cottage you open a door on the street and stroll down a brick walkway to find yourself in a courtyard with a heated swimming pool that's a mere steps from the fully renovated 19th century cottages. Our cottage, number 5, had two good-sized bedrooms, each with their own bathroom, and a living room with a mini-bar and sink. The bedrooms had no windows, but the ceilings were so high they didn't feel claustrophobic at all. What was truly great about staying at the Audubon Cottages was how quiet and secluded it felt, even though we were two blocks from Bourbon Street and the heart of the quarter. The wi-fi was powerful, there were three tvs in our cottage, and we even had a little sitting area in the courtyard where we had breakfast a couple of mornings. The breakfast itself was pretty lame, boxed cereals, commercial yogurt, and humdrum pastries, but New Orleans has so much good food it wasn't a problem. In fact, one of my favorite New Orleans breakfast spots, the Camellia Grill, opened a second branch two blocks from the Cottages, so I would advise anyone staying at the Cottages to have breakfast there at least once. The pecan waffles are great, and to eat something truly decadent there ask them to put a piece of chocolate pecan pie on the griddle, topped by vanilla ice cream of course. I would go back to the Audubon Cottages in a heartbeat. There's nothing like them in New Orleans that I know of.

Room Tip: I don't even know if they have room service at the Cottages, but they are very accommodating and...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Audubon Cottages? Share your experiences!