“Oasis in the French Quarter” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Audubon Cottages

You added Audubon Cottages to your Saves list
Audubon Cottages
3.5 of 5 Cottage   |   509 Dauphine St., New Orleans, LA 70112 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
10% off room rate
New York City, New York
“Oasis in the French Quarter”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

With the frenetic energy of the French Quarter, Audubon Cottages are your own private heaven. Had an amazing stay with a great staff including our butlers Jeff and Jennifer. Due to a storm in the Northeast - we "unfortunately" had to stay an extra 2 nights - and management couldn't be more accommodating. Would definitely visit again. Thanks to all for a great stay!

Room Tip: Any room is a good room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Greek first
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

New Orleans is decidedly one of the funkiest, liveliest, and loveliest places we've ever encountered. Because our magazine's purview is the South--its literature, culture, music, and art--New Orleans serves as an important touchstone, and we're there often. The Quarter has been home to a bohemian artistic community for nearly a century, though it also boasts plenty of high-end businesses and institutions, as well as the abrasively over stimulating tourists traps on Bourbon Street.

The Quarter contains international chain hotels, condo timeshares, and local hotels and B&Bs, but nothing compares to the Audubon Cottages. Tucked away amidst the rollicking and bustle of the Quarter, the cottages allow you to reset and relax (if you wish) in a beautifully secluded area just a stone's throw away from the action. It's honestly eerie how you'll feel transported miles away from the Quarter--how does it suddenly smell nice? where's all the noise? the people?

Besides the fantastic location, the accommodations are fantastic in general. The rooms are charming and the history's intoxicating (Elizabeth Taylor frequented our cottage; Tennessee Williams stayed in the hotel and undoubtedly penned parts of A Streetcar Named Desire there). There's a heated pool that allowed us to take a dip in December (granted, it's New Orleans, so the outside temperature hovered around the 70s).

—The Oxford American crew

Room Tip: Ask for Jeffrey and Roderick…who took such good care of us and made us feel like we were “coming hom...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Sacramento
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

As a mature professional lady, I frequently travel solo for business and pleasure. It had been 35 years ago since I last visited New Orleans, and I eagerly anticipated an extended stay in the city after disembarking my Mississippi River cruise last December.

When I began searching for a lodging that that would meet my high standards , I was indeed fortunate to discover the newly renovated Audubon Cottages that are a part of the prestigious “New Orleans Hotel Collection.”

Hidden behind a high brick wall with its own private gate on Dauphine Street, the cottages are a secluded fantasy retreat in the heart of the French Quarter. They even have their own gracious butler, Roderick who gave me his cell phone number and encouraged me to contact him with any request. There was seemingly nothing Roderick couldn’t accomplish. It was apparent he had seen it all.

The antiques and vintage reproductions in the seven French Creole cottages reflect the charm of old New Orleans while offering modern amenities such as WiFi, flat screen tvs, and refrigerators. They share a central courtyard with a heated salt pool that is one of the oldest in the French Quarter.

My cozy cottage Number One with its original exposed brick walls and beams had two bedrooms and baths, a spacious living room, dining area and private patio. It had been Audubon’s home as he completed his Birds in America series in the early 19th century.

When I peeked out the living room window at the crack of dawn each morning, a vacuum pot of steaming hot coffee and a continental breakfast tray were waiting outside on my patio’s table.
As I turned the key in the gate each evening after a full day of exploring, I actually felt as though I were living in the French Quarter. Only a few blocks away, there was Jackson Square and the French Market.

Whatever your wish –quiet comfort during a business trip, a romantic weekend getaway, or Mardi Gras fun, in New Orleans it can’t get much better than this.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My wife, 25 year-old son, and I went down to New Orleans the day after Christmas to see old friends and explore the fantastic food and music culture of New Orleans. I have been to New Orleans more than a dozen times on business and pleasure, and I can say unequivocally that the Audubon Cottages was the best place I have ever stayed in New Orleans. The cottages are affiliated with the Dauphine Orleans Hotel, but they are about a block away from the hotel. To get to your cottage you open a door on the street and stroll down a brick walkway to find yourself in a courtyard with a heated swimming pool that's a mere steps from the fully renovated 19th century cottages. Our cottage, number 5, had two good-sized bedrooms, each with their own bathroom, and a living room with a mini-bar and sink. The bedrooms had no windows, but the ceilings were so high they didn't feel claustrophobic at all. What was truly great about staying at the Audubon Cottages was how quiet and secluded it felt, even though we were two blocks from Bourbon Street and the heart of the quarter. The wi-fi was powerful, there were three tvs in our cottage, and we even had a little sitting area in the courtyard where we had breakfast a couple of mornings. The breakfast itself was pretty lame, boxed cereals, commercial yogurt, and humdrum pastries, but New Orleans has so much good food it wasn't a problem. In fact, one of my favorite New Orleans breakfast spots, the Camellia Grill, opened a second branch two blocks from the Cottages, so I would advise anyone staying at the Cottages to have breakfast there at least once. The pecan waffles are great, and to eat something truly decadent there ask them to put a piece of chocolate pecan pie on the griddle, topped by vanilla ice cream of course. I would go back to the Audubon Cottages in a heartbeat. There's nothing like them in New Orleans that I know of.

Room Tip: I don't even know if they have room service at the Cottages, but they are very accommodating and...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Tejas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed here a couple of nights for our 31st anniversary trip. We are 49, active, travel at least a few times a year. We party in moderation (almost always home by midnight) and like spending time together, and love good food.

This is a pretty quick review of the property and I would highly recommend it.

I chose this property based on some of the reviews I read, and wanted the experience to be a little different and bit more special than a standard high end room. I have stayed in New Orleans a number of times over the last few years including properties like The Monteleone, The International House, various Hilton properties, and few other properties over the years. I can honestly say this was one of the best properties I have stayed in recently anywhere.

I had originally called reservations to ask about the Hermann House, but after talking to the reservation lady, who was exceptionally helpful and nice, I decided to book Cottage 7 which is a one room cottage with a shared courtyard. The cottages offer a "French Quarter Butler", which I am not 100% certain all of the things they can do for you but, I received an email a couple of days before our trip from "Jeffery" asking if there is anything they could help arrange and what time they should expect us. I responded that I had already taken care of our arrangements, and we should be there around 4pm.

So..... We arrive to checkin at the Hotel Dauphine and checked our car in with the valet. Parking is expensive at $30 a night, but that seems to be the cost everywhere around that area. We were greeted by a very friendly hotel staff and check in was very quick. We were assigned Cottage 3 instead of Cottage 7, which is a two room cottage with a private courtyard. We were pointed the way to the cottages and given directions as the concierge was escorting another couple to their cottage which is a couple of blocks down the road. On our way the concierge found us and escorted us the rest of the way to our cottage.

The Cottages share a locked entrance where when you enter, you walk into a walk way with the pool area right in front of you. Cottage 3 was the first cottage on the right down the walkway. You open a wooden privacy gate, which enters into the private laid brick courtyard. The courtyard is pretty large and has only a fountain on the wall in front of the front door and an umbrella table with 4 chairs.

We were greeted with a chilled bottle of champagne waiting for us which was a very nice surprise. The Cottage itself had a lot of charm and was decorated very well with what I would call Antique New Orleans, I am sure there is a name for the decor, but I don't know what it is.... To give an example, the coffee maker was a Keurig (With an assortment of coffee) inside an antique Armoire. There was also waters, and an assortment of sodas in a two drawer Sub-Z (Nice).

The living room was nice with a dining table with 4 chairs, a desk, a couch and two chairs. There was a Flat Screen on the wall over the desk. I wouldn't really call it comfortable for lounging and watching TV, but it was decorated very nice. We used the table for the continental breakfasts they served in the morning.

The bedroom was very nice, very quiet, with a very comfortable bed. I think I read the mattresses were tempurpedic, but I am pretty sure it was not (We have one and it was nothing like ours). Still it was comfortable, and they use very high end linens including the towels in the bathrooms (All thick, white, and warm).

Breakfast was delivered and setup outside in the courtyard at the requested time. It was and assortment of cereals, pastries, yogurts, and fruits with an air pot of Community Coffee (Which is excellent!). There was nothing hot, but it was nice. My only complaint is that it was setup outside and the temperature was in the 30's. We just went out and grabbed it and brought it back into our room. We did the same thing the second day.

Not everything was perfect, but it was close.

Breakfast was delivered an hour early on the second day. There wasn't anything hot, so it may have been intentional as everything would keep fine.

The bathroom does not have a tub and the water seeps out of the walk in shower onto the main bathroom floor. Not really a big deal.

One of the rooms had a painted portrait (Think Napoleon) looking right at the bed (little creepy for me). We slept in the other room. :-)

No room safe either.

This was only a part of a trip I planned for our anniversary.

We went to Delmonico's our first evening, and then had a couple of drinks at Fat Catz on Bourbon St. which has a great band. We called it an early evening and headed back to the room. The room did have an iPhone dock for romantic music.

The following day after our breakfast we went to the World War 2 museum which Is really becoming a huge attraction with multiple new buildings and a 4d movie narrated by Tom Hanks.

We had lunch a Luke's (Incredible as always) and then went to get ready for the Greyline Haunted walking tour around the quarter (I wouldn't recommend). We then called it an early evening and skipped our plan to go to the casino.

We left for home the next day after our breakfast and a quick run to Central grocery to get a muffaletta (Yummmm) to take home, which I would also highly recommend!!!

All in all a great place to stay, with a great staff and we will be back.

Hope this helps someone....

Best regards,

-Todd-

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I stayed here while at conference in New Orleans and was bowled over by the quality of the service and the beauty of the cottages. Roderick and Jeffery, the butlers were courteous, attentive (but not too much so), and just a pleasure. The cottage itself was just amazingly beautiful--big comfy bed, fabulous, cozy yet stylish decor steeped in New Orleans history. It just doesn't get much better than these cottages.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

New York, NY
They have done a great job renovating this property. Myself and my husband went for 3 nights over Thanksgiving. Central location just off the French Quarter makes it easy to access everything. We had a room for tow, king bed. Room was beautiful, little shared courtyard outside the door where breakfast was left every morning. the room had everything that you need. The property has a lovely heated pool in the center and some lounge chairs around it. Nice and private and quiet (you can hear some noise at night from the street but nothing notable)
Roderick Bernal is the Frenh Quarter butler and he is clearly doing a great job managing the property. kindly introduced himself, opened some cava for us while we lounged by the pool on our last afternoon and arranged our taxi which was right on time. Highly recommend the Audubon Cottages for a calm, private, relaxing, romantic stay and a welcome break from the sightseeing the food trips that we took each day :)

Room Tip: Room #4 - highly recommend that room. its off the street, shared courtyard.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Audubon Cottages? Share your experiences!