“Sleeping on a cloud in a French Quarter Oasis” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Audubon Cottages to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Audubon Cottages
4.0 of 5 Cottage   |   509 Dauphine St., New Orleans, LA 70112 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
10% off Best Rates
Lafayette, Louisiana
“Sleeping on a cloud in a French Quarter Oasis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Traveled from Lafayette to wind up having a fantasy weekend in New Orleans with a girl friend who is a travel/foodie writer. I thought I would just drive & tag along, but what an extra-ordinary treat it was to stay Friday night in Cottage No.5. Before coming over I didn't have a lot of time to check out the history of the place, so had only put together that Audubon had stayed in one of the cottages (& maybe there was a bit of gossip about Elizabeth Taylor insisting on staying in one of the cottages too.) In Cottage No. 5 on the coffee table was indeed Audubon's book, but it would of taken more than a night's stay to enjoy such a large volume. My Granny if she were looking down from above would of been smiling, even with her dentures, especially when I turned to the page of the Brown Pelican. Because this was the one Audubon bird she had chosen to capture in watercolor, I think for one of her drawing classes we heard about as kids. After arriving in the rain, we got to valet parking at the Dauphine Hotel up the street & had the valet roll our bags to first thru the entry gate to the courtyard with the pool in it for the cottages & then another gate to our shared yet very private courtyard to our Cottage No 5. When he left we ran to the bar to check it out like a couple of kids new to a hotel room: there was a K-Cup coffee maker & many bottles of water--which I cannot tell you how great that is alone. I've traveled a lot & the first thing I usually want to have when I get to the room is a bottle of water--many times I will pack my own so I can have one, so here that's not a problem. Opening the fridge we saw it had 2 drawers, like in designer homes. On to the 2 bedrooms we find our big white clouds to sleep on & our signature robes with slippers. In the bathroom I'm told a story about the big black marble tiles originally being selected for the owners home by the wife only they ended up in the cottages instead. I love stories like this about places I stay at. Of course we had to go jump in the private pool in the middle of the courtyard garden first thing after putting our suitcases away & it was like having our own personal spa. Back out too soon to have to change/run off to the French Quarter for drinks/dinner, just steps outside our gate - feeling like we had our own house there in 'the' French Quarter--crazy good?! That night I know I slept like I was on a cloud--the next day I told my friend's husband who came to meet her when I had to leave that very same thing: you're going to get to Sleep on a Cloud. But that wasn't the end of the fantastic stay--there was breakfast served on our private courtyard table, steps from the tall slated window door, where you could go sit in your robe & slippers. I truly did not want this overnight to end. A great girls trip for sure, that if I hadn't gone with my friend I would of never gotten to go do such a thing. Big thank yous go to the cottages staff & management for having us/spoiling us after their recent gorgeous renovations. Truly I felt like a Princess for a Day staying at the Audubon Cottages!

Room Tip: Give yourself time to enjoy every aspect of these cottages. And sort out all your WiFi & Valet o...

79 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Greek first
Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I knew about the Audubon Cottages but when I heard they were recently renovated I had to see what was new. The historic cottages arranged around a tropical courtyard are gorgeous and staying here is a trip back to a more romantic time in the French Quarter. The cottages are beautifully restored with comfortable beds and linens, oversized bathrooms, comfy seating areas and private patios. Roderick, our "French Quarter Butler" treated us like family. Be sure and try out the saltwater pool, reportedly the oldest pool in the Quarter. Also, Bayonna restaurant is nearby and I highly recommend it, plus Deanie's is one block further, more casual and less expensive but also fabulous - don't miss the onion rings and seafood platters! Everything is close by but once you're inside it feels like you're in another world.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

The cottages are immaculate and magnificently renovated to maintain their authentic french quarter charm. Truly a very special place and a wonderful experience. We only wish we could meet someone like Roderick at every hotel! Thank you Roderick for making our stay so enjoyable we don't want to leave!

• Stayed October 2012
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Located in the Heart of The French Quarter in New Orleans, just two blocks from Bourbon St., the very private Audubon Cottages are set admist tropical gardens, and surround the oldest swimming pool in all of New Orleans. I loved this lap-sized pool, especially in the evening when the very enchanting lighting lite the tropical gardens and waterfall that surrounds the brick walk around the pool. The same tropical gardens and waterfalls, with discreet lighting continue to the inside private courtyards of each of the cottages. My courtyard waterfall even had Koi - and had I stayed a bit longer I would have felt like they were my fish and I would have named them. That's how personal and 'homey' these 5 Star cottages are. The authentically restored Audubon Cottages will exceed your expectations, and delight everyone of your senses.

Room Tip: The 6 very private cottages have different configurations for number of bedrooms, and one is like a...
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Recenty, I had the good fortune to join my Mother & Sister-in-law in New Orleans for a girls getaway. We stayed at the beautiful Audubon Cottages(apart of The New Orleans Hotel Collection). The sumptous rooms and updated bathrooms were luxurious and inviting...however, we spent most of our time enjoying our sweet private courtyard! We so enjoyed breakfast and cocktails daily there. Our butler, Roderick Bernal oversaw every detail during our stay...he and his staff were very accomodating! It's the ideal location for a romantic getaway or, for a small family...or for the "girls"! Looking forward to a return trip soon!

New Orleans
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I travel often and prefer historic hotels as they reflect the true ambiance of the city. A stay at Audubon Cottages is like stepping back to the mid 19th century when it was built. The owner was meticulous in the recent restoration, preserving original beams, floors, brick walls and brick patios. And the traditions of the plantation life continue with your own personal butler, Roderick. He attends to your every need including a romantic breakfast in your own private courtyard surrounded by tropical gardens. It's a New Orleans brand of Breakfast at Tiffany's, listening to the soothing trickle of the water garden, I could almost imagine John J. Audubon joining me for a cup of tea.

Room Tip: Larger families may want to reserve cottage 1 with two bedrooms and cottage 7 with one bedroom. Both...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

The Audubon cottages have always been our first choice for accomodations in New Orleans because of the comfort, atmosphere and privacy they provide. Since our last visit in July 2011, the property has changed ownership, resulting in huge improvements. Every cottage and private courtyard has received a major facelift: complete renovation of bathrooms, new paint, updated furniture and AC units, new "drawer" refrigerator and ice makers, beautifully manicured gardens and a refinished pool. All changes have been done in a way that provides modern comfort while preserving the history of these famous New Orleans cottages. Roderick Bernal, the new manager, and his assistant, Michael, provide first class service with attention to every detail. We look forward our next visit.

Room Tip: We have always stayed in cottage #2, but after viewing all accomaodations, we would be happy to stay...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Audubon Cottages? Share your experiences!