“Great food, weak service” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Salu is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #197 of 1,630 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: American, Tapas, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Pleasant
Transit: Salu is located on Magazine Street. We are on the Corner of Pleasant & Magazine Street. We are a 2 blocks from Louisiana Ave.and we are located just five short blocks from the Saint Charles Street Car line.
Lafayette, Louisiana
“Great food, weak service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

The flat bread w/ fig, stuffed chicken breast where delicious. However, our server let our drinks sit at the service bar for 10 minutes while she wandered around the restaurant. Seemed generally uninterested.

Visited June 2014

Tracy, California
“For the price go somewhere else ”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Went for lunch. Place was empty but service was slow. Broke a glass by accident and takes them 10 mins to see it. Picked it up and didn't even ask if everyone was ok. Food was good, not much of it and expensive. When we left we wished we never entered.

Kilgore, Texas
“Great Happy Hour at Bar”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I was in New Orleans all last week, and went for a long walk along Magazine Street my first night in town. I passed this restaurant and saw the sign saying they had half-priced mussels at Happy Hour, which was just what I wanted. I sat at the bar next to someone who seemed to own the place - he was very outgoing, but everyone in the place seemed to answer to him. The bartender was outstanding. When I told him it was the best martini I'd ever had, he said, "I just made it the way you asked me to make it." The Mussels were great, and the atmosphere at the bar was relaxed and friendly.

My last night in town, some friends came down to visit from Mississippi. We decided to do a restaurant tour of the Garden District just sampling appetizers along the way. Our third stop was Salu, at about 5:30, because I'd really been bragging about my experience there earlier in the week. The bar was too full to accommodate us, so we got a table in the dining room, where the atmosphere was entirely too hyper and loud for us to enjoy our time together there. Our flatbreads were good, as were the drinks. Our waiter was polite, but not engaging. The noise level was unbelievably high, which ruined it for us. It was like being caught in the middle of a pinball machine, with noise ricocheting off of every window, mirror, tile floor, and domed ceiling in the place.

The bar on a weeknight at Happy Hour is a must. The dining room on Friday is to be avoided, unless you're eighteen.

Brooklyn, New York
“Enjoy the mussels”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

A nice option on Magazine Street. Many tables filled with local college students, enjoying conversation, good food and great cocktails.
Despite being older than most of the diners, the waitstaff couldn't have been nicer.
Menu offers a wide variety and if you're a fan of mussels, order them. Plenty of choices for them but we opted for the "classic" with white wine and garlic. Best we've had in a long time. No sand and very tasty!
We also chose marguerita flatbread, which garlic fans will love. The plus was that the garlic was roasted separately and then the whole cloves were sprinkled on top, so they flavor didn't distract from the tomatoes or cheese. Nice selection of wine and beer and cocktails were perfect.
One drawback - the acoustics are awful, every sound bounces off the ceiling and it can be hard to hear conversations.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Harrisonburg, Virginia
“Great local treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

We went to Salu for dinner on our last night in New Orleans. We went in saying that we weren't that hungry after our big lunch, but kept ordering more because it was so good. We had two different types of mussels, both excellent, in sauce that required being sopped up with their pocket bread. Drinks were a little slow to be made, but worth the wait and totally understandable due to the number of people and the work that went into making them. If I lived in New Orleans, I would eat there all the time.

Visited May 2014