“Luke "Skywalker" Sidell took us through Treme” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #48 of 205 Activities in New Orleans
More attraction details
Owner description: You can see Treme' from a car or a bus, but you can ONLY Experience It and Feel It, on a Walking Tour with us! Treme' is one of the oldest and most Historic neighborhoods in the United States. Originally settled by Creoles and Free Persons of Color, join us for an unforgettable experience. Hear tales of how our jazz greats were inspired. Visit St. Augustine Church and the Tomb of the Unknown Slave. Find out how residents of the Treme' were active in the Civil Rights movement a century ahead of the rest of the nation. Informative, Exciting, Moving! The Treme' is a living , breathing, joyful piece of History! Tours begin at 10am Daily. Reservations are Required. Your Guide is a Local Historian, a Master Storyteller and fully licensed by the City of New Orleans.
Boston, Massachusetts
41 attraction reviews
“Luke "Skywalker" Sidell took us through Treme”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This guy knows his chops. He's a classically trained musician and jazz aficionado that talks rock and roll too. We visited a laundromat that used to be a recording studio, stopped for a beverage at Treme Cafe, heard about how slavery was different in NO, saw the house where DJ Davis from the Treme HBO show lives, learned about gentrification in NO after Katrina....and more. Not to be missed. We returned to the neighborhood on Sunday to attend the Gospel Catholic service that Luke told us about at St. Augustine Church.

Visited November 2012

Little Rock, Arkansas
3 attraction reviews
“Great Job Emily”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

While clelebrating Diva Weekend in New Orleans, I was extremly impressed with the Treme' tour. I must admit I truly wasn't all that intrested in going on a walking tour but the tour guide Emily changed all of that. Emily's high energy, passion for what she does and awesome personality truly grabbed me from the begining and held me until the end! I'm very happy I went on this tour.I learned so much about the history of music and the neighborhood. Now I'm ordering all of the episodes of the show so I can actually continue with new love for Treme' Thanks Emily!

Visited October 2012
Abington
8 attraction reviews
“Interesting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I found this tour and decided to do it because the Treme area was listed in a travel magazine as a must see. This was also the area where Louis Armstrong Park & Congo Square is, which I wanted to tour. I didn’t know there was an HBO series about the area until I started researching it. I am interesting in seeing it having been to the area.
The meeting place for the tour was easy to fine. it was in a bar that wasn’t open yet. There was a sign and since they weren’t open the group was easy to find. My tour guide was Emily. She was very nice, friendly, and knowledgeable. My only criticism of her was that she talked a little too fast. I personally didn’t have trouble following her because I myself talk fast, but the other people on the tour were all foreigners and they might have had trouble.

The first part of the tour was walking through the neighborhood of Treme. The history was interesting, but it was maybe a little too much of neighborhood walking and long periods between one place to the next.
Halfway through we stopped at Treme café for a rest room and refreshment break. That was nice because it was a really hot day. But I think we stayed there a little too long.
Then we were on to Louis Armstrong Park & Congo Square. I don’t know much about jazz but it was interesting to see the park and hear the history.

Visited September 2012
Lancaster, Ca.
“Not to be missed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

What a fantastic, informative experience! Our tour guide, Luke, took us on a 2-hours historical tour of Treme' covering rock 'n roll, jazz, New Orleans history - pre and post civil war eras - as well as pre and post Katrina.. If you are planning to visit New Orleans and don't include this tour in your itinerary, you will be missing out on a terrific opportunity to learn what makes New Orleans New Orleans. As a former resident of the area, I even highly recommend this tour to locals!
Great experience...And our tour guide Luke was truly FIRST RATE!

Visited October 2012
Sydney, Australia
“Fantastic walking historic tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

This is a fantastic easy walking tour in the Treme area of New Orleans. Our guide Luke was a fountain of knowledge on the area's musical history as well as social politics and general American history of the area. As an Australian with only basic knowledge of American history, this tour and I think particularly Luke's talent for mixing fact and storytelling, peaked my interest to learn more.

Visited September 2012