“Sensational visit” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Monrose Row

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Monrose Row
1303 Governor Nicholls, New Orleans, LA (Treme - Lafitte)   |
Ranked #17 of 145 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Tamworth, Australia
“Sensational visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

My adult daughter and I travelled to New Orleans as part of a trip across the states. New Orleans was the place we were most excited about visiting and we were not disappointed.

Cindy's home (which quickly becomes your home for the duration of your visit) is warm, welcoming and beautifully appointed. Cindy is a wonderful host, although she feels more like a good friend. She has great advice on where to go, what to see and how best to spend any free time you might have left! Her breakfasts are incredible. She is a gem.

We knew we were staying just off Rampart in Treme and actually chose Monrose Row for that reason - we wanted to immerse ourselves in the everyday heart and life of this gorgeous city and did not want to be downtown or in the Quarter. We wanted distance from the tourist areas but to be close to the music and food. We never felt unsafe, not for a minute. My daughter and I walked everywhere, well into the night. I quickly learnt that "Y'all stay safe now" is not a warning of imminent danger. It's a way of saying "have a great time". Likewise "How y'all doin'" does not require a detailed answer, just a smile and a "How you doin'" in response.

While we were there we visited many places but two that are very close to Monrose Row are the Backstreets Cultural Museum and St Augustines Church. We attended a service on Sunday morning which was wonderful and also visited the museum to learn more about the Mardi Gras Indian and social club traditions. Both these are less than two blocks from Monrose Row. We also caught a second line as it went down the street straight past the house. You won't get that at the big downtown hotels!

I loved New Orleans and I think Monrose Row was partly responsible for that love affair. Cindy loves her city and loves sharing it with others. We couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. We stayed for a week and wished we had stayed longer.

Stayed January 2013

81 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Wiesbaden, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

A charming mix of modern and antique furniture decorate this restored Louisiana home. The owner has done an amazing job of creating a warm and friendly atmosphere with meticulous attention to detail down to the antique brass door handles she has spent years collecting.. The guest rooms are quiet, cozy,comfortable, and immaculate in terms of cleanliness. There is no refridgerator or coffee maker in the guest rooms, as this is a boutique B&B and NOT a Howard Johnson's. There is a television which probably doesn't need to be there (if you have time to watch the Tele in NOLA, you're better off visiting a retirement community in Boca Raton).

The location is perfect at only a few minutes walk from the hustle of NOLA but just far enough to be quiet. The neighborhood will appear beat (more so at night) and is undergoing some changes. Please don't let that deter you, this place is a gem. Just street park your car and set out on foot.

Breakfast was delicious. Cindy is quite an excellent chef with a fascinating life story. She will advise you on some wonderful places to eat as well as fun and interesting places to visit. She is warm and friendly to all visitors and has hosted all walks of life. You should be so lucky to get a reservation here. The value for what you are paying cannot be matched. I intend to stay here again and again.

• Stayed August 2012
Mansfield, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

This place is fantastic! A girlfriend and I met in NOLA to have a girlfriend's exploratory visit of the city and environs, and simply loved staying at Monrose Row. Cindy is the BEST hostess. She made us feel very welcome even when I know I was pain asking for VERY early morning coffee.

She has done a fantastic job of renovating and combining two old row houses. Everything is of the highest quality and simply beautiful. It was nice to have a short walk to the French Quarter. We parked our rental car for the duration of our visit there. It is indeed a hidden gem.

Cindy's breakfasts were delicious. As a matter of fact, I wish I had asked her for her "flourless" muffin recipe. She served it with homemade granola/yogurt/fresh strawberries. Toasted almond French toast and sausages was served the next day. Wonderful!

Our room (Room #3) was really a suite. I could get up early and do my online work without bothering my friend.

Just remember, Cindy does all of this herself!! She is chef, janitor, housekeeper, business woman, so try not to be too demanding. She has to get some sleep to provide the superb service she provides. I highly recommend Monrose Row B&B!

Room Tip: Room #3 can accommodate two people in twin beds or put together to make a king, so two people who do...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I'd definitely recommend this place. Cindy has done a fantastic job of renovating this historic home. Our top floor room was huge and beautifully appointed. (Stairwell is narrow so our large bags were a bit of a challenge to navigate but definitely worth the climb.) The whole house was gorgeous and filed with art and antiques. Cindy was the BEST hostess! The breakfasts were superb and she gave us great tips of where to go - even lending us her lawn chairs to attend an outdoor concert, and offering to run an errand for us so we would have more time to see New Orleans. It was very nice to be just outside the noisy French Quarter, but close enough to walk to it.

So, why not a 5? I'd give it a 4.5 if I could, because it was almost perfect, but there were a couple of small things I'd like to mention to other travellers. First, we arrived at night and because of all the renovations going on in the area and the dumpsters on the street, the area had a bit of an ominous feel. (It looked much better in the daylight). I must add that we are from a rural area so are not used to the inner-city, so we were surprised. Second, we would have liked a coffeemaker and a small fridge in the room. (To store the leftover chicken we got at the gas station on North Rampart - thanks to the other people who mentioned it).

My husband and I were both very, very happy with our choice and would stay there again, for sure.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Having to go to New Orleans for a wedding I was determined to skip the "blocked" off rooms at all the trendy hotels in the French Quarter and instead opted for a romantic B & B. My husband reluctantly agreed.

When we arrived outside he was still giving me a hard time about our decision until Cindy opened the doors to let us in, we were then both excited and relieved about our decision. The decor is stylish, elegant with homage to the history of the house and the culture of New Orleans.

It is a beautifully restored with a quaint courtyard. Beware travel lightly if staying here. You do need to get your bags up the narrow staircase which is very, very old.

The rooms are elegantly furnished. We stayed in the larger of the 3 rooms (Room Four), however I did see the Third room, and that was my favourite.

The breakfasts were incredible. Cindy is by far the best "breakfast" chef, ever!!! She is also so warm and informative and happily willing to share all her recipes.

All of our friends who stayed in the French Quarter were envious of where we were as they all complaint of how noisy it was staying right in the FQ. We are definitely excited to try other B & Bs on our upcoming journeys if we are fortunate enough to find something as amazing as Monrose Row!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I recently stayed for 5 nights at Monrose Row in the attic room on the 3rd floor of the slaves quarters and I cannot recommend this B&B highly enough to other travelers! It is the most comfortable accommodation my husband and I have ever stayed in. We feel like Cindy the Inn keeper has created something unique & special with Monrose Row. We felt at home, comfortable and so welcomed! Cindy's attention to detail and genuine interest in our comfort at Monrose Row and enjoyment of New Orleans, far exceeded our expectations. There are too many highlights to list, but in summary, the stand outs for me were:
1) The amazing house: a beautiful historic home restored by Cindy, who has a real flair for design. Very tastefully furnished, beautiful art work, antiques, high quality fixtures & fittings. Our attic room was so spacious, with a large bed room and sitting area with daybed & modern bedroom. Lovely linens, towels, toiletries supplied. Our room was absolutely spotless, Cindy's personal attention to detail in room presentation was wonderful.
2) The location: just a couple of blocks and several minutes walk to the French Quarter. Close enough to the action, but not right in the hustle & bustle. Within easy reach of live music venues, restaurants, cafes, bars & shopping. Definitely the best part of the city. We were aware from previous reviewers that the suburb might appear at first run down. It's similar to many inner city suburbs anywhere you go, they were once poor suburbs and have become gentrified. There was absolutely no issues walking the area day or night.
3) Cindy's local knowledge: having lived in the area for over 20 years, Cindy was able to provide local knowledge that hotels can't provide. We greatly appreciated her recommendations of the less touristy sights to see, including music venues, day trips, shopping & visiting historic homes. We also mentioned our interest in finding a gym nearby and Cindy gave us the brochure & fitness class timetable!

• Stayed July 2012
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Monrose Row is an excellent B&B. Cindy the host goes out of her way to make sure you have the best stay, from the presentation of her B&B, to sharing the local insights, hints and tips on what to visit. The breakfasts are excellent, and she provided a good variety of food over the 5 nights we stayed there (eg home made granola, waffles with fruit, fresh fruit cups and more). She certainly does make you feel at home, is a local with local advice, everything is done tastefully and to a high quality standard. The room was well presented, clean, comfortable and had everything we needed (including fans and a/c to escape the humid New Orleans heat). The separate living space was a big advantage. While not located in the french quarter it is within easy walking distance, and is also located at the Frenchman Street (great local restaurants and Jazz clubs) end of the French Qtr. Its the kind of place that you would tell all your friends about, and we would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 2 which had a double bed, living space with TV and bathroom. It is a part of the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Monrose Row? Share your experiences!