“Almost a 5 star” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Monrose Row

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Monrose Row
You added Monrose Row to your Saves list
1303 Governor Nicholls, New Orleans, LA (Treme - Lafitte)   |
Ranked #16 of 145 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Victoria, Canada
“Almost a 5 star”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I'd definitely recommend this place. Cindy has done a fantastic job of renovating this historic home. Our top floor room was huge and beautifully appointed. (Stairwell is narrow so our large bags were a bit of a challenge to navigate but definitely worth the climb.) The whole house was gorgeous and filed with art and antiques. Cindy was the BEST hostess! The breakfasts were superb and she gave us great tips of where to go - even lending us her lawn chairs to attend an outdoor concert, and offering to run an errand for us so we would have more time to see New Orleans. It was very nice to be just outside the noisy French Quarter, but close enough to walk to it.

So, why not a 5? I'd give it a 4.5 if I could, because it was almost perfect, but there were a couple of small things I'd like to mention to other travellers. First, we arrived at night and because of all the renovations going on in the area and the dumpsters on the street, the area had a bit of an ominous feel. (It looked much better in the daylight). I must add that we are from a rural area so are not used to the inner-city, so we were surprised. Second, we would have liked a coffeemaker and a small fridge in the room. (To store the leftover chicken we got at the gas station on North Rampart - thanks to the other people who mentioned it).

My husband and I were both very, very happy with our choice and would stay there again, for sure.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Having to go to New Orleans for a wedding I was determined to skip the "blocked" off rooms at all the trendy hotels in the French Quarter and instead opted for a romantic B & B. My husband reluctantly agreed.

When we arrived outside he was still giving me a hard time about our decision until Cindy opened the doors to let us in, we were then both excited and relieved about our decision. The decor is stylish, elegant with homage to the history of the house and the culture of New Orleans.

It is a beautifully restored with a quaint courtyard. Beware travel lightly if staying here. You do need to get your bags up the narrow staircase which is very, very old.

The rooms are elegantly furnished. We stayed in the larger of the 3 rooms (Room Four), however I did see the Third room, and that was my favourite.

The breakfasts were incredible. Cindy is by far the best "breakfast" chef, ever!!! She is also so warm and informative and happily willing to share all her recipes.

All of our friends who stayed in the French Quarter were envious of where we were as they all complaint of how noisy it was staying right in the FQ. We are definitely excited to try other B & Bs on our upcoming journeys if we are fortunate enough to find something as amazing as Monrose Row!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I recently stayed for 5 nights at Monrose Row in the attic room on the 3rd floor of the slaves quarters and I cannot recommend this B&B highly enough to other travelers! It is the most comfortable accommodation my husband and I have ever stayed in. We feel like Cindy the Inn keeper has created something unique & special with Monrose Row. We felt at home, comfortable and so welcomed! Cindy's attention to detail and genuine interest in our comfort at Monrose Row and enjoyment of New Orleans, far exceeded our expectations. There are too many highlights to list, but in summary, the stand outs for me were:
1) The amazing house: a beautiful historic home restored by Cindy, who has a real flair for design. Very tastefully furnished, beautiful art work, antiques, high quality fixtures & fittings. Our attic room was so spacious, with a large bed room and sitting area with daybed & modern bedroom. Lovely linens, towels, toiletries supplied. Our room was absolutely spotless, Cindy's personal attention to detail in room presentation was wonderful.
2) The location: just a couple of blocks and several minutes walk to the French Quarter. Close enough to the action, but not right in the hustle & bustle. Within easy reach of live music venues, restaurants, cafes, bars & shopping. Definitely the best part of the city. We were aware from previous reviewers that the suburb might appear at first run down. It's similar to many inner city suburbs anywhere you go, they were once poor suburbs and have become gentrified. There was absolutely no issues walking the area day or night.
3) Cindy's local knowledge: having lived in the area for over 20 years, Cindy was able to provide local knowledge that hotels can't provide. We greatly appreciated her recommendations of the less touristy sights to see, including music venues, day trips, shopping & visiting historic homes. We also mentioned our interest in finding a gym nearby and Cindy gave us the brochure & fitness class timetable!

• Stayed July 2012
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Monrose Row is an excellent B&B. Cindy the host goes out of her way to make sure you have the best stay, from the presentation of her B&B, to sharing the local insights, hints and tips on what to visit. The breakfasts are excellent, and she provided a good variety of food over the 5 nights we stayed there (eg home made granola, waffles with fruit, fresh fruit cups and more). She certainly does make you feel at home, is a local with local advice, everything is done tastefully and to a high quality standard. The room was well presented, clean, comfortable and had everything we needed (including fans and a/c to escape the humid New Orleans heat). The separate living space was a big advantage. While not located in the french quarter it is within easy walking distance, and is also located at the Frenchman Street (great local restaurants and Jazz clubs) end of the French Qtr. Its the kind of place that you would tell all your friends about, and we would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 2 which had a double bed, living space with TV and bathroom. It is a part of the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Kildare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Wonderful accomodation for an assault on New Orleans. location is perfect just a 2-3 min walk to the french quarter - accom was perfect and the Cindy was very helpful who can def cook and keeps a gorgeous home! Would def recommend to anyone going to New Orleans. The perfect haven from the New Orleans madness!!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Monrose Row for a few days this past May, and we had such a good time that I can't stop raving about it to friends. Everything about this B&B is superlative, from the beautiful decor, to the spacious rooms, to the delicious breakfasts prepared by the friendly and informative owner, Cindy. Her attention to detail is mind-blowing--the place was spotless, and she has a rare eye for design. We also got some great tips from her about restaurants to try and events going on in the city. I would go back there in a heartbeat--heck, I'd live there, if I could. In short, this place is not to be missed.

Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

We stayed 2 nights at Monrose Row. It's a beautiful place! I'm not into antiques, I'm more a modern design lover but the decoration is very tasteful, so very unlike many other B&B's with tacky overloaded deco. Cindy was very helpful in giving directions, she made us feel welcome and served a nice healthy breakfast.

Like a previous reviewer mentioned, the area is not high scale. But we had the impression that the whole city is like that, in desperate need of some renovation. Nevertheless, we never had any problems. People in the street are friendly, saying "how y'all doin' " in that nice southern accent without any bad intentions. We walked back to the B&B from the French Quarter late at night and never felt unsafe.

Only one thing that bothered us: the bed. It was a full size bed, but it felt like a big one person bed (we are used to a king size at home). It would have been a perfect stay if the bed was bigger.

That said, if we ever go back to Nola.. we'll definitely stay at Monrose row again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Monrose Row? Share your experiences!