“Disappointed With American Sector” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
American Sector is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #316 of 1,602 restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: American Sector restaurant serves nostalgic favorites in the World War II Museum. If you were eating in America in the 1940s, then acclaimed chef John Besh’s restaurant, American Sector located in the National World War II Museum of New Orleans, will surely pique the nostalgia. Just reading the menu will send you down memory lane, and when you finally decide and the food arrives, you may well find its better than you remember. That’s because Besh is a gifted chef with a playful touch, dedicated to preserving the food ways and traditions that are our culinary heritage. His nostalgic menu of all-American favorites, lovingly refined and honoring World War II-era America, is delectably southern bent.
Birmingham, Alabama
“Disappointed With American Sector”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

My family wanted to grab a quick bite before touring the WWII museum, so we went to American Sector. The prices are pretty outrageous... Nothing less than 10 dollars. The service we received was lacking in hospitality. I could not swallow my cheeseburger due to a weird taste in the meat. Overall horrible dining experience. Would advise to go to another restaurant before visiting museum. My favorite is Deanie's Seafood.... Great food, reasonably priced, and family atmosphere.... located on Iberville Street.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

75% Recommend
Springfield MO
“Comfort Food with a Gourmet Twist”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Although you can get Sloppy Joes, foot-long hot dogs, and milk shakes, try some of the more unusual things. I found Gracie’s blue crab and sausage stew absolutely delicious and my wife thoroughly enjoyed her black drum fish on a bed of spinach and faro (light brown grain from Italy). She also found her plum soda delightful. The server was not overly attentive, but the manager stopped to inquire about our food and then answered our questions in detail. On his recommendation, we ordered a side of onion rings made with batter from local beer. They were outstanding! Try them.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
“I must have more of those grits!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stumbled upon this when we arrived early for the movie at the WWII museum and thank the muses for it. These were absolutely the most wonderful grits ever...and I'm a huge grits fan. The tomato soup and sandwich were great. The pork sandwich was raved over by my dining partner, I was too happy with the grits and it didn't impress me much. We got there around 2:15 so it wasn't crowded and things moved along nicely. Next time I'm in NOLA, I'm going back...for the grits.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Baton Rouge
“Top Quality Food and Reasonably Priced at a Museum !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

The restaurant at the National WW II Museum called The American Sector is run by John Besh, one of the top chefs in New Orleans. Not only is the food delicious, but it is also reasonably priced. The menu has some mainstream favorites, but also a few dishes on the eclectic side too. Great place to eat while you enjoy the museum !

Visited October 2012
Wilmington, Delaware
“Worth only in the middle of a WWII museum visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I was after the movie in the middle of the tour in the WWII museum and didn't want to go out to the street. This was the reason for stopping at this place. The service was poor, I waited 20 min sitting near the bar till the bartender just gave me a menu. Why can't they increase the number of bartenders during lunch hours?? The food was average and the prices were a little bit high. Nothing much to recommand, lower your expectations.

• Visited October 2012