“Southern food and beverage museum, little known but worthwhile” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Southern Food and Beverage Museum

Southern Food and Beverage Museum
1504 Oretha Castle Haley Boulevard, New Orleans, LA 70113 (Central Business District)
504-569-0405
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #114 of 165 Attractions in New Orleans
Type: Museums
Norman, Oklahoma
171 attraction reviews
“Southern food and beverage museum, little known but worthwhile”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

A nice museum for those who enjoy learning about foods from a region. Very informative and many nice displays about Cajun and southern cooking, bars, sugar cane among others. They are located on the third floor of the river walk mall next to the food court. They offer a $5 discount if you or your spouse is attending a convention, otherwise it is $10 pp. There are plans to move to a larger location soon so check before you go.

Visited January 2012

Fremont, California
42 attraction reviews
“Ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

We had a groupon so we went there, it was OK. My family was not much interested in museums, but just to keep me happy, they went through it.

Visited December 2011
17 attraction reviews
“Great idea, lovely displays, but poorly laid out.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

Lovely displays and a great space, but it laid out horribly. Can't find your way around easily and a lot of items are not labeled.

Visited December 2011
7 attraction reviews
“Wonderful experience for my Girl Scout Troop!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

I only wish our train had not been late.

Our plans were to have the girls make pasta from start to finish, and a red sauce to go with it. They were also going to make fresh lemonade and a topping for ice-cream.

We were arriving via Amtrak, and the train was over an hour off-schedule.
Even though we lost that much time.. the staff managed to make it all work out.

The girls learned how to make pasta and sauce. The staff had started the onions and bell pepper simmering when we arrived, and they had made the ice cream topping. We ended up skipping the lemonade and going with juice boxes. The troop cut up tomatoes and added to the sauce. The staff started the dough for them (it was faster that way) and then the girls kneaded dough and made a small dumpling type pasta (which I have forgotten the name of). The pasta cooked quickly, and it was served with juice boxes and an ice cream dessert.

Thank you so much to the staff at the museum! I wish we had been able to spend more time there!

Visited November 2011
Bensalem, PA
46 attraction reviews
“Great for foodies and people who love to learn about history! A+++”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

BIG museum at the back of the Riverwalk's 3rd floor food court. I went with a Groupon and enjoyed every moment of it. They tell you the history of king cakes, snoballs/sno-cones, domino's sugar, seafood harvesting, local eateries, absinthe, and the history of the American cocktail. They had so many old-time bottles of booze on display with booklets, ads, and lots of info on prohibition. WOW. Great for all ages! I went alone and loved it. There were so many chances for photos and I took a ton! Some areas are still being installed, so have patience. I went not knowing what to expect, and I was pleasantly surprised. It is a cute museum with lots of facts! You will enjoy it if you are looking for a laid back look at food and drink in the south. :)

Visited October 2011