“out of control exellence” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Domenica is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #68 of 1,630 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Canal Street
Description: Domenica is a contemporary and inviting Italian restaurant that creates regional Italian dishes with southern and middle eastern influences. The cuisine combines Chef Alon Shaya's Israeli heritage and love of local ingredients with a menu that reflects his time spent cooking and living in the small towns of northern Italy.
little rock arkansas
“out of control exellence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

Sometimes you eat and sometimes you have an experience eating. I lucked out mid afternoon when my destination of choice, American Sector, the Besh cafe in the WW2 Museum was closed due to weather. It was cold and rainy and Sector has a hot chicken and dumpling dish just like grandma used to make - if your grandma cooked. So I decided to hike over to the Roosevelt Hotel where chef Besh has a casual Italian/pizza place called Domenica and as I was solo, I parked at the bar in the best spot, where the tenders dish up drinks like Obituaries and odd stuff only ordered in places like New Orleans. Alexis was tending, and she found an Italian wine similar to a California Merlot which I like. Wine and beer and pizza are half price in the afternoon happy hours and so the prices were real good. I told her my plight and said I'd order the next best thing to chicken and dumplings - salmon and mashed potatoes. I drank my quasi merlot and out comes a young chef introduced as Philip with a smile n his face who said "I like a challenge" as he placed a bowl in front of me full of - you guessed - chicken and dumplings - well actually they were a kind of Italian pasta similar to dumplings and they were just great - and gratis, and I ate the fish and potatoes also and was very stuffed and satisfied. Chef Philip seems destined to follow in the Besh trail to success. I really could not believe the hospitality shown by Alexis and Chef Philip. I highly recommend Domenica bar dining, especially fun in a place like New Orleans. I met a great couple from Oklahoma and a 71 year old quirky lady who comes in three times a day to eat the same peach dessert, as she stands by the bar - straight out of Tennessee Williams. The menu at Domenica is Italian with a twist. The couple had pizza half price and another lady had fried squash blossoms with goat cheese inside and crispy kale - to show you the variety and breadth of the Besh menu. And you can have a fine meal with several entrees and still be out less that $25. And the desserts are the crowning touch to any Besh restaurant - all made I believe at their famed pastry kitchen above Restaurant August. I highly recommend Domenica. Walk around the lobby of the historic Roosevelt Hotel and ask to take a peek in the legendary "Blue Room". If Chef Philip is on and you don't see what your body is craving on the menu, tell him - he just might like the challenge!

• Visited September 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Orlando, Florida
“Yummy food, not so great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

We tried the lasagna and the spaghetti- both were outstanding. I loved the spaghetti with just garlic & olive oil. It was simple, classic, and so delicious. The portion sizes were perfect, not too big but not too small. However, our waiter seemed a bit forgetful but wasn't so bad that I give the restaurant a bad rating. We did go on a busy night, so I give him the benefit of the doubt. We didn't get the pre-meal bread until after our meal, and the wine we ordered was almost forgotten about completely. Nonetheless, excellent food and eye-catching decor. More of a "group" setting than romantic.

• Visited December 2010
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Great food but not great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

Amazing, delicious, Italian Soul Food!!!
The service wasn't so great but it was a busy night.
If you are looking for romantic, this is NOT the restaurant you want. It can be loud but the food is worth it. The Squid Ink pasta was SUPERB!

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
San Antonio, Texas
“You can't find a better place in New Orleans!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

Oh my Goooodnesss, ask for Brent to serve you because he will make sure you order things you won't forget and might not normally order. Like their squid ink pasta with blue crab meat in a butter sauce, Amazing! You have to also try the fried butternut squash stuffed with goat cheese WOW!!! The wild mushroom pizza is unlike anything you ever had and the coup de gra is the banana "pudding" like dessert better than any dessert I've ever had. The chef, John Besh, has all of his vegetables and meats grown and raised organically and specifically for his restaurants in NOLA. There is a huge difference it was so good that we ate dinner their again later that night and once again AMAZING!!!

• Visited August 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dallas, Texas
“Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

We called in our order and picked up our food at the bar. We had the quatro formaggi pizza, lamb meatball pizza, squash blossoms, and the chocolate hazelnut pudding. Everything was so scrumptious. The pizza reminded us of Ny thin crust pizza. The dessert tasted like everything you love about a Ferrero Rocher. Yummy!

Visited July 2011