“Delicious and in a great location to the Maple Leaf bar” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Natchez, Mississippi
“Delicious and in a great location to the Maple Leaf bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

We stopped in before a big show and party at the Maple Leaf bar a block down. The food was delicious and the Barbeque and corn had a great taste!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Victoria, Canada
“Squeal for vegetarian!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Brendan, Squeal's Irish chef, was most welcoming and accommodating when we chanced upon his restaurant. My husband was delighted with his barbecued brisket and both of us were impressed by the vegetarian dish he concocted just for me.The main ingredient was fresh corn. Delicious! Thank you, Brendan, and your friendly staff.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Miami, Florida
“Please try!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

So glad I tried this - resisted for years. My thought was - I am in NOLA, can't eat anything but Creole or Cajun food. SO creative and enjoyed the both the food and the service. The sauce had more depth that I expected. Will definitely go back!

• Visited December 2012
lansing MI
“It's a MUST!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

When we were unable to get into Jacques Imo's, we decided to stop into Squeals just a couple of doors down. Quite honestly, it wasn't really on our radar. But Wow! What a find!
We started with their gumbo which was absolutely outstanding. We come to Louisiana a lot (from Michigan) and I consider myself a pretty good Cajun cook, but I almost.....(?) met my match with this dish. With plenty of turkey and sausage, it was thick and very full flavored. Next we had their squeal pie. "Layers of pulled pork, corn maque choux, andouille, mashed potatoes and topped with cheddar cheese", it was a delight and a great flavor combination. Had a good time talking to the chef/owner and traded a couple of cooking secrets. It was altogether a terrific place to eat and will be a prime destination on future trips. Be sure to make it one of yours too. You won't be disappointed......at all!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New Orleans, Louisiana
“A must for your trip to New Orleans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

My husband and I were in the area looking for a comic book store and bakery, on foot, and it was 4 p.m. and the only thing I'd eaten all day was half a stale almond croissant with a chai latte at 9 a.m. So I was starving. When we passed Squeal still in search of the bakery, I pointed it out but my husband nixed the idea because he didn't want barbecue. There were a couple of sushi places he was more interested in. Ok, fine. Only, once we found the bakery (which had closed an hour before) and walked back to the sushi place, as I had predicted, it was closed. Yay! I get what I want! So we head back to Squeal.

We start with appetizers... a trio of pork cakes, which are done in the tradition of crab cakes only with pork. Nice plate up, each cake topped with a tasty pico de gallo and drizzled with a chili sour cream. These were delicious.

Next, the main course... I order the DBLT Tacos. That's duck (chipotle glazed), bacon, lettuce, and shrub tomatoes with a wasabi mayo on white corn tortillas. Three of them. Just as yummy as they sound, too. I also got the roasted corn and cheese grits, because I love that particular side and I can't get it just anywhere. Creamy goodness. Perfectly seasoned. My husband got the half rack of St. Louis ribs. Because if you go to a barbecue place and they can't do ribs, you don't go back. These were tender, juicy, falling off the bone, with just the right amount of sauce and a bit of a smoky crust on the outside. And if you like a lot of sauce (or more sauce than it comes with), they bring you a bowl of sauce on the side. This comes with two sides and he opted for the collard greens and the jalapeno mac & cheese. I've never eaten collards and I promised I'd try them if they were done right. He said they were, so I tried them... not bad. Not at all what I expected. The mac & cheese is made with penne pasta and there were actually bits of jalapeno in the sauce. These were not rubbery like some other places I've had it. They also weren't too sauced or runny. The only better mac & cheese I've had was made in my own kitchen.

We were entirely too full after our meal to eat dessert. The prices weren't bad at all. Andre, our server, was great, funny, and not at all obtrusive or annoying. He should teach his craft. It's hard to do right. There were issues with drinks... I got the last of the root beer, apparently. I got a Coke when I was due for a refill (not a mistake, he explained and I ordered something else). My husband had a fit about Protestant whisky, but he was happy with his beer. We will be back!

• Visited November 2012