“A Little Gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sunburst Inn Guest House

Sunburst Inn Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Sunburst Inn Guest House
You added Sunburst Inn Guest House to your Saves list
819 Mandeville, New Orleans, LA 70117 (Bywater)   |
Ranked #27 of 144 New Orleans B&B and Inns
San Diego
“A Little Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

Boy, did I ever hit the jackpot. Stopping off in NOLA for a weekend of nonsense after a tough work week on the road is nothing out of the ordinary for me. I usually stay at one of the established B&Bs in the Quarter, sometimes one that caters to a gay dude like myself. This time, I found the pickin's slim as there was a Pirate festival in town and Spring Break in full swing. Hearing over and over that there was no room in the inn, I finally found The Sunburst and emailed an availability inquiry. Innkeepers, Darrell and Glen wrote back that, yes, they could take me in their smaller accommodation, the Diamond Room for $85 a night total.

The Sunburst is in the heart of the Faubourg Marigny, my favorite slice of NOLA, just a few blocks from the Quarter. Glen met me when I arrived with news that I'd been 'upgraded' to the only other accommodation they had, a suite at the front of the house. Aparantly there was a no show!

This room is fantastic. It's furnished in antques and oriental rugs, features a big livingroom/sitting area with floor to ceiling windows and an equally large bedroom. The bath is modern and has a dual-head shower.

There is a well stocked refrigerator: Milk, Orange Juice, Sodas, Bottled Water, Yoghurt and Cream Cheese, all complimentary. A coffee maker and toaster, bagels, assorted cereals, chips and other goodies are also there. A basket of fresh fruit graces my desk. There's even a computer with interent in the room.

It's just 3 blocks from the Phoenix (ok: it's my favorite gutter to fall down into when in New Orleans), and just a few blocks further to the music and good eats on Frenchman St.

Sunburst Inn is not a gay place . . . exactly. I mean, Darrell and Glen are, but you don't have to be. If, on the other hand, you are like me, you'll find your hosts extraordinarily helpful in navigating the various bars, events, comings and goings.

Really: I don't do 5 stars often; but this place is the best. It will be my home in NOLA from now on.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)

Been to Sunburst Inn Guest House? Share your experiences!