“Wonderful accommodations in NOLA!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sunburst Inn Guest House

Sunburst Inn Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Sunburst Inn Guest House
You added Sunburst Inn Guest House to your Saves list
819 Mandeville, New Orleans, LA 70117 (Marigny)   |
Ranked #28 of 145 New Orleans B&B and Inns
“Wonderful accommodations in NOLA!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012 via mobile

My wife and stayed at Sunburst Inn from March 29 to April 3 while were in New Orleans for the NCAA Final Four. Suffice as it is to say accOmodations were at a premium as the city Was very busy and teeming with basketball fans from all over North America. We were very lucky to secure such a great place. The fridge was stocked with drinks and there was even a pint of Ben and Jerry's in the freezer.

From the moment we arrived we felt very much at home. We were greeted by Glen and he immediately provided us with a map and some very helpful and much appreciated tips on where to go (and where NOT to go) where to eat and where to drink. The nearby "Cake Cafe" was especially lovely and were certainly glad that he turned us onto that place (wonderful breakfast).

We stayed in the Suite and were very pleased with it. Comfy bed, great shower and expansive living area with couch chair and 50 inch TV nestled away in a beautiful armoire. We didn't watch much TV, but it was a nice touch nonetheless.

We were within easy walking distance - 15 min - to the French Quarter area and approximately 25 minutes to the Central Business District / Canal street. There are also literally dozens of great restraints, bars, bistros and cafes within an 8 block radius of the Sunburst Inn do there was no end of things to do. We were only in NOLA for 6 days so we came nowhere close to getting everywhere we wanted to go. Obviously we will be going back - hopefully sooner as opposed to later.

One thing I should mention that might cause some concern is the ride from the airport. The route we travelled in the taxi took us through some sketchy looking neighborhoods. My wife and were a little concerned right up to the moment that Glen opened the front door. However I am pleased to say that our fears were not well founded at all. In fact im a bit embarassed we felt that way.

The Marigny / Bywater neighborhood was great and the locals we met were unfailingly friendly and helpful. And as I mentioned earlier, there were so many things to see and do. And traveller safety was NEVER a concern - we always felt secure, even late at night. The lesson in all this? Don't Get freaked out during transport.

In closing, we loved our time in NOLA, and the Sunburst Inn played a big part in that. Without hesitation or reservation, we would recommend this place to anybody looking to stay in an interesting and eclectic area - somewhere other than the usual touristy areas of New Orleans.

• Stayed April 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay in this guest house. It was very clean and comfortable. It was also very affordable. The owners were very hospitable and friendly, we felt like we were guests in their house. It is in a great location, not a far walk to the quarter. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed March 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

Why this place doesn't have dozens of five-star reviews I'm not sure. Perfect location, wonderful hosts, great accommodations. Great front porch for watching the street, sipping a drink and feeling like a local. The neighborhood is quiet and walkable with lots of little friendly coffee shops, etc. Our hosts recommendations were great, as well. Wonderful neighborhood in walking (ahem, stumbling...) distance from Frenchmen Street (which is way better than the quarter!): all sorts of wonderful music and restaurants.

Our little fridge of complimentary sodas and (pre-packaged) assortment of pastries, fruits and cereals were always re-stocked (a great thing as one night we were stuck inside during a bad thunderstorm). There are bowls, plates, silverware, a coffee maker, even wine glasses and an ice bucket if the mood strikes you!

My husband and I stayed in the suite on the first floor, which includes a living room with a huge TV. The bedroom isn't really separate but has doors and a curtain that can close if need be. There's even a computer to use when you're in the suite which was great for looking up local restaurants and guides while we were here.

The is absolutely the BEST value I have ever gotten in a place, in any city. For location, price, and everything that is included you just can't go wrong!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

As a first time visitor to NOLA, we wanted something a little different and the ability to get away from the craziness of the French Quarter. Well, we found it. The quaint Sunburst Inn located in the Marigny neighborhood was just what the doctor ordered. Hosts Glen and Darrell were very accommodating and gave great advice on restaurants,sites and the neighborhood. You do need to put your walking shoes on, if you want to hit the French Quarter or the Riverwalk, but to be honest you need to walk after eating all the great food in the area. Besides the fun atmosphere of the quarter, we discovered Frenchman Street, full of fun bars, restaurants and shops. You can't not have fun in any part of this town!

The Inn itself is very small with only 3 rooms. But the rooms are a good size and very comfortable. Our room was stocked with snacks, breakfast food, waters, juice etc. all complimentary. Very unique decorations. Nearby a couple of nice little coffee shops and a couple of great restaurants. We really enjoyed our time, and only wished we had a few more days. This is not a hotel like atmosphere and is not for everyone, just those who want to be ahead of the curve on the next best thing.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed 3 nights here in the "diamond room". Glen and Darrell were extremely helpful in the booking process and during our stay in regards to any questions or any need we had. They have free wi-fi and printer which was convenient. they have a large dog who's very peaceful and stays downstairs. there was a cat too that slept out in the hallway. i'm allergic to cats but it didn't bother me, because there is no cat hair anywhere, especially not in the guest rooms, and the entire place is just kept very neat and clean. it's a peaceful, quiet environment. it's in an area that's a short walk to all the music on Frenchman St. and in the immediate area there are many cafes around. it's a chill neighborhood. perfect for our taste. we definitely recommend it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
New London, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

We were in New Orleans for a wedding and I was 36 weeks pregnant, so the Sunburst Inn was the perfect place for us to stay. Most guests were staying at the other end of the French Quarter, but we were looking for something that would give us a different New Orleans experience. Plus I wanted a place where I could rest when I got too tired.

We had the first floor room which has a living area with a separate bedroom, which was perfect for us. My husband was able to watch the NCAA while I took a nap! The room itself is very charming and comfortable, with a nice large shower. It was stocked with breakfast foods, microwave and a mini fridge (which was great for our leftovers - the food in New Orleans is fantastic). There's a great coffee shop on the corner and another one a few blocks away. Glenn (one of the hosts) was kind and helpful. They provide everything you may need for a comfortable stay, magazines, maps, wi-fi, even a computer if you don't have a laptop!

We felt very safe in the neighborhood, and were able to walk everywhere (though the River Walk trolley and NOLA buses are close by). The Inn is very close to Frenchman street (great music and food), Washington park and still walkable to the French Quarter. It was nice not to be right in the French Quarter (I'd done that before when I was younger), it gave us a sense of what living in New Orleans might be like. We were very happy with our choice and would recommend staying at the Sunburst inn to anyone who wants to be close to the fun, but able to go somewhere quiet afterwards.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

Boy, did I ever hit the jackpot. Stopping off in NOLA for a weekend of nonsense after a tough work week on the road is nothing out of the ordinary for me. I usually stay at one of the established B&Bs in the Quarter, sometimes one that caters to a gay dude like myself. This time, I found the pickin's slim as there was a Pirate festival in town and Spring Break in full swing. Hearing over and over that there was no room in the inn, I finally found The Sunburst and emailed an availability inquiry. Innkeepers, Darrell and Glen wrote back that, yes, they could take me in their smaller accommodation, the Diamond Room for $85 a night total.

The Sunburst is in the heart of the Faubourg Marigny, my favorite slice of NOLA, just a few blocks from the Quarter. Glen met me when I arrived with news that I'd been 'upgraded' to the only other accommodation they had, a suite at the front of the house. Aparantly there was a no show!

This room is fantastic. It's furnished in antques and oriental rugs, features a big livingroom/sitting area with floor to ceiling windows and an equally large bedroom. The bath is modern and has a dual-head shower.

There is a well stocked refrigerator: Milk, Orange Juice, Sodas, Bottled Water, Yoghurt and Cream Cheese, all complimentary. A coffee maker and toaster, bagels, assorted cereals, chips and other goodies are also there. A basket of fresh fruit graces my desk. There's even a computer with interent in the room.

It's just 3 blocks from the Phoenix (ok: it's my favorite gutter to fall down into when in New Orleans), and just a few blocks further to the music and good eats on Frenchman St.

Sunburst Inn is not a gay place . . . exactly. I mean, Darrell and Glen are, but you don't have to be. If, on the other hand, you are like me, you'll find your hosts extraordinarily helpful in navigating the various bars, events, comings and goings.

Really: I don't do 5 stars often; but this place is the best. It will be my home in NOLA from now on.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunburst Inn Guest House? Share your experiences!