“Great tour” 5 of 5 stars

More attraction details
Attraction Details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Celebration Distillery, located in the Gentilly area of New Orleans, is the Oldest Premium Rum Distillery in US and the only in Louisiana. Tours Times:Monday-Friday at 12pm, 2pm & 4pmSaturdays at 2pm & 4pm. The cost is $10/person. Call to book complimentary transportation from the French Quarter Monday-Friday.
Washington DC
7 attraction reviews
“Great tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

The van picked us up at the Erin Rose bar right on time and it was a short ride to the Distillery. On the we he gave us a nice tour about New orleans. The rum tour was very informative and fun.

Lewisville, TX
8 attraction reviews
“No WONDER I like rum from Puerto Rico!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Cynthia Campbell's book entitled, "Louisiana...an Explorer's Guide"...is thee source to use when visiting Louisiana. After 5 weeks, it has rung "true" to its insight.....EXCEPT for this destination. Her book lists this distillery as the oldest premium rum distillery in the United States. With this excerpt, I had hoped for 50 year old rum tastings....instead, I got a 150 year old building that was bought by an artist, in which....in the 1990's...started to make rum. You should know: 1. You will need Lewis and Clark, LaSalle, GPS, Daniel Day-Lewis in the "Last Mohicans", GPS, a tour guide, maps...and maybe-----if you are lucky...a knowledgeable gas station attendant to tell you where this place is located. Don't count on any streets to be labeled...and the distillery's website to give you any "handy" info. Tooooo bad the flier they have located in their...."gift shop"....with a helpful map....isn't posted on their website. 2. Don't let the phrase, "oldest premium distillery" sway you into thinking you are getting a fantastic tasting opportunity of U.S. rum....in fact, as soon as I am done writing this review...I am googling to see if there are ANY OTHER RUM DISTILLERY'S IN THE U.S. 3. While I liked Bob--the tour guide---the "office girl/gift shop girl" was rude. 4. Lastly, the "rum cocktail" that you receive upon your entrance is "sweet tea (ugh)....with a splash of rum". Of the 4 samples, that you get at the end of the tour....I passed one off to my husband...and completely left the last one on the counter. My husband and I were both very disappointed!!!!!!!!! Save your 10 bucks, the misery of trying to find the place, the gas....and do anything else in the city! (Oh yea, and your parking????? Well, if you like parking next to a cement plant as "all of that" blows onto your vehicles...than be my guest!)

Visited February 2013
Jason C, Manager at Old New Orleans Rum Distillery, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Valerie, I would like to apologize for your negative experience surrounding our tour. I would also like to take this opportunity to address the issues that you experienced.

1. We are in fact the oldest premium rum distillery in the US. While we were founded in the 1990's, we are proud of our product and believe that our rum represents a high quality product that is full flavored and unique.

2. We are located off the beaten path, but I assure you that any of our employees would have been more than happy to help you find our distillery. Also, our website displays a map of our location under the "Times and Location" section of the "Tour the Distillery" tab.

3. I would like to personally apologize if you did not feel welcomed by every member of our staff. We try to be the definition of Southern Hospitality to every guest that visits us, and I would love to have you come by again.

4. We do change our welcome cocktail from time to time, and it is unfortunate that you did not enjoy our Cajun Tea. If I had the chance to make you another cocktail, I am certain that you would enjoy it.

5. I wish that you would have felt up to trying our last sample of rum that is offered on the tour, as it is our finest 10 year rum. It is the special treat that we offer our patrons at the end of the tour experience.

6. We offer complimentary transportation to and from our distillery. Please let me know if you would ever like to visit us again, and I will arrange the free pick up and drop off option for you.

Thank you for your feedback. We are always trying to improve our customer experience, and I will consider all of the suggestions that you have made. If you have any other feedback, please contact me personally at the distillery. My name is Jason and our phone numer is (504)945-9400. I look forward to hearing from you.
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
23 attraction reviews
“Rum Tasting. How can you go wrong.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

If navigating on your own it is a little hard to find. However, there is a shuttle the will pick you up at the French Market. The pickup location is the Organic Banana smoothie stand that is located around the center of the French Market. They also have $2 off coupons. They may also do hotel pickup. The story of the owner and the distillery are quite interesting. The product tasting is included in the tour and the products are great. The tour guide is fun and very knowledgeable. If you like rum and have the time I would recommend the tour.

Slidell, LA
“Old New Orleans Rum Distillery Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

If driving, it is a little hard to find but worth the effort. Tour and tasting is down to earth and unpretentious...located located in an old cotton warehouse. Tasting afterward was
enjoyable. No pressure to buy or depart.

Visited January 2013
Reston, VA
35 attraction reviews
“well off the beaten path”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The Old New Orleans Rum Distillery is a fun tour. Even if you aren't a rum aficionado it is a worthwhile visit. The rum is most excellent, and seeing the artisanal processes by which it is made makes it even better. You can order rum shipped to most states, so it's not a worry if you're flying. I would most strongly recommend going during the week when the distillery runs transportation from French Market. On a Saturday our taxi had difficulty fining the distillery, which is not in a good neighborhood. It appears that it would be possible to get nearby on the bus, but I don't think that is a good idea.