Cynthia Campbell's book entitled, "Louisiana...an Explorer's Guide"...is thee source to use when visiting Louisiana. After 5 weeks, it has rung "true" to its insight.....EXCEPT for this destination. Her book lists this distillery as the oldest premium rum distillery in the United States. With this excerpt, I had hoped for 50 year old rum tastings....instead, I got a 150 year old building that was bought by an artist, in which....in the 1990's...started to make rum. You should know: 1. You will need Lewis and Clark, LaSalle, GPS, Daniel Day-Lewis in the "Last Mohicans", GPS, a tour guide, maps...and maybe-----if you are lucky...a knowledgeable gas station attendant to tell you where this place is located. Don't count on any streets to be labeled...and the distillery's website to give you any "handy" info. Tooooo bad the flier they have located in their...."gift shop"....with a helpful map....isn't posted on their website. 2. Don't let the phrase, "oldest premium distillery" sway you into thinking you are getting a fantastic tasting opportunity of U.S. rum....in fact, as soon as I am done writing this review...I am googling to see if there are ANY OTHER RUM DISTILLERY'S IN THE U.S. 3. While I liked Bob--the tour guide---the "office girl/gift shop girl" was rude. 4. Lastly, the "rum cocktail" that you receive upon your entrance is "sweet tea (ugh)....with a splash of rum". Of the 4 samples, that you get at the end of the tour....I passed one off to my husband...and completely left the last one on the counter. My husband and I were both very disappointed!!!!!!!!! Save your 10 bucks, the misery of trying to find the place, the gas....and do anything else in the city! (Oh yea, and your parking????? Well, if you like parking next to a cement plant as "all of that" blows onto your vehicles...than be my guest!)
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
February 21, 2013
Valerie, I would like to apologize for your negative experience surrounding our tour. I would also like to take this opportunity to address the issues that you experienced.
Report response as inappropriate
1. We are in fact the oldest premium rum distillery in the US. While we were founded in the 1990's, we are proud of our product and believe that our rum represents a high quality product that is full flavored and unique.
2. We are located off the beaten path, but I assure you that any of our employees would have been more than happy to help you find our distillery. Also, our website displays a map of our location under the "Times and Location" section of the "Tour the Distillery" tab.
3. I would like to personally apologize if you did not feel welcomed by every member of our staff. We try to be the definition of Southern Hospitality to every guest that visits us, and I would love to have you come by again.
4. We do change our welcome cocktail from time to time, and it is unfortunate that you did not enjoy our Cajun Tea. If I had the chance to make you another cocktail, I am certain that you would enjoy it.
5. I wish that you would have felt up to trying our last sample of rum that is offered on the tour, as it is our finest 10 year rum. It is the special treat that we offer our patrons at the end of the tour experience.
6. We offer complimentary transportation to and from our distillery. Please let me know if you would ever like to visit us again, and I will arrange the free pick up and drop off option for you.
Thank you for your feedback. We are always trying to improve our customer experience, and I will consider all of the suggestions that you have made. If you have any other feedback, please contact me personally at the distillery. My name is Jason and our phone numer is (504)945-9400. I look forward to hearing from you.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.