Backpacked across the states with a friend so stayed at a lot of hostels with Bourbon House being the last one. When we were shown to our dorm we were shocked, there seemed to be no signs of recent cleaning and the bunk beds were extremely high (you couldn't sit up in the top bunk) with no guard rail. It was then that we noticed that the place was absolutely infested with cockroaches. Like, we couldn't move for seeing a cockroach in broad daylight. To top it off there were very few bathrooms, all of which were impossible to use as they were unclean.
The area the hostel was in was intimidating, upon leaving the hostel our taxi driver was shocked that two young women were staying there and would have been walking around that area even in daylight.
Within an hour of checking in we booked a hotel in the French Quarter that wasn't much more than the hostel would have been. The guy at the hostel reception was shocked that we were unhappy or found the place dirty and stated the in the summer in New Orleans it was impossible to find any where to stay that wasn't infested with roaches. He said we were wasting our money checking out as this was the case. (It wasn't, our hotel was lovely and immaculate). He offered us half of our money back after a while of us arguing and then refused to help us book a taxi to take us to our new hotel.
Please, if you aren't used to living in squalor avoid this place. We stayed in many hostels in the US and never once had somewhere come close to even being half as bad.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are AAE Bourbon House Mansion and Hostel, located only 18 minutes walking to the French Quarter and famous "Bourbon Street". In the "lower Garden District" we are 5 minutes walk to the Convention Center and the only Guest House/ Hostel that provides a FREE Shuttle to and from Greyhound and Amtrack. We also have airport shuttle for as low as $15 a person. All guests, either dorm beds or deluxe private rooms get to enjoy FREE BREAKFAST, Free Internet, Free Shuttles, Free Parking and a great Guest House full of European Travelers that create an exciting environment. We welcome all ages and have private rooms for families that sleep up to 8 people available. We are the "top rated" hostel in New Orleans and there is a reason for that... because were the best choice from the traveling public viewpoint! Come stay with us and be happy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, HostelBookers, HostelWorld and Odigeo so you can book your AAE Bourbon House Mansion & Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aae Bourbon House Mansion And Hostel
- Aae Bourbon House Mansion Hotel New Orleans