“Don't miss an opportunity to enjoy the best value for money deal in town!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of AAE Bourbon House Mansion & Hostel

You added AAE Bourbon House Mansion & Hostel to your Saves list
AAE Bourbon House Mansion & Hostel
1660 Annunciation Street, New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Lyon, France
“Don't miss an opportunity to enjoy the best value for money deal in town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Everything was absolutely perfect: the room, the location, etc. But what I enjoyed the most was the staff. Jason picked me up from the station within a few minutes. He did his best so that I could check in and have my room much before the check in time. He helped me for absolutely everything (bookings, info, etc.). He even organized an evening out: a great opportunity for me to meet other guests and spend a friendly 1st evening in town. I'll definitely stay there again!!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

First off, the staff is the most helpful, sincere, and nicest staff I have ever experienced. If any problem occurred, no matter how small (for instance, out of pancake batter), they would immediately help you out and be extremely apologetic and do anything they can to appease you but not in a needy way at all. Second, the lodging was fantastic. Small, but perfect for my friends and group of 4. The area was amazing too, just a 20 minute walk from Bourbon street. The other reviews of this place sound as if they were older folks staying at this hostel...WHICH IS A YOUTH HOSTEL. So take that into consideration. Third, the staff is amazing at showing and telling you where a good time is and where great food is. They help you meet the other fellow travellers and include everybody in the fun. This hostel was great and I would recommend anybody travelling in New Orleans to stay here if they can.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012 via mobile

When we first arrived at the hostel we were taken aback at the way the taxi driver acted, he said he was scared of the area and to not walk around it, and to always get a taxi. We then arrived at the hostel, got taken to our room, which was a 6 bed dorm when we had reserved a twin private. Despite the mix up, the staff were brilliant at trying to do everything they could to help us, they phoned around other hostels in the area to see if they had any twin privates and then when they didn't or they were out of our price range, we said we'd be fine staying in the dorm they gave us a very generous discount and moved us into a twin private the next morning for the remainder of our stay. They were extremely apologetic for the mix up.

The rooms were of a good size, not the cleanest I've seen, a few hairs on the bedding etc but other than that perfectly adequate. The bathrooms were of a slightly lower standard, they didn't have hand towels and the floors/mats were always soaked wet. The free breakfast was nice, make your own  pancakes but the mixture was already made so it only took a few minutes. There was a TV, use of internet on a computer, books and free wifi in the common area. The patio area was a nice place to sit.

There are cockroaches outside but I never once saw any inside like some reviews on here say. I did, however, wake up after my second night covered in bites so they may have had bed bugs!

Despite what the taxi driver said, the area seemed very nice when we walked around in the day, and it was an easy walk to the trolley to get to the French Quarter. However, it was slightly intimidating at night, and I would definitely recommend getting a taxi. When we walked, we had a car follow us, a few homeless people approached us and even the police stopped us to ask if we were ok! Obviously this is nothing to do with the hostel itself, which was perfectly safe inside, just a warning that you shouldn't really wander the surrounding area at night!

• Stayed June 2012
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

Ok, so this really was a great hostel. A small group of us booked a five/six bed dorm that was spacious, clean and comfortable. The kitchen facilities are very good (free pancakes for breakfast a nice touch) and the shared bathrooms adequate. The staff were friendly and helpful and the hostels distance from anywhere you'd like to be is fine as long as you're happy to get your legs moving.
My one issue was (and it really is no great reflection on the hostel itself), was the HUGE group of teenage girls that had taken over the place! The noise of them getting prepared for their days activities made it impossible to sleep past 6am and it was foolish to even dream of using the common areas once they'd settled in.
Besides this one little gripe which I now have off my chest, I am returning to NOLA in December with my wife and if all goes to plan we'll be returning to the Bourbon House hostel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Tyler, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

I stayed here as part of a 30 day rail journey. The intent is nice but much is to be desired. This hostel is kind enough to pick you up but the vehicle is beyond filthy and ragged out. The seats were gross and stained.

If you can stay in the "main house" you might do OK, but for SURE "outback" is awful:

Shoddy, incomplete remodel work
My pillow had mold on it
No soap in the bathrooms-YUCK!
Ceiling fan was not working
Air conditioning was not adequate

The staff is great and worked very hard to try and accommodate.A cheap place to stay in NO, but just be aware of what you are getting into.

Room Tip: Try and book the main house if you can.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012 via mobile

Stayed there 2 weeks and a half while backpacking. I had a great time. The staff is laid back, friendly and helpful. Might even give you a ride to the French Quarter. I love the hostel's location in Garden District near Magazine street and Mojo coffee house. Good to chill in the yard before going out or on rainy nights. The rooms are nothing to write home about but for the price it does the job and it's clean. Also: free pancakes in the morning!

• Stayed June 2011
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Loved my stay! Great fun and the staff are SUPER! RIP IT UP

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Been to AAE Bourbon House Mansion & Hostel? Share your experiences!