“Clean,friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

AAE Bourbon House Mansion & Hostel
1660 Annunciation Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Lower Garden District)   |
“Clean,friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012 via mobile

Great hostel , large out door common area,pretty quiet atmosphere ,great staff room was very clean

• Stayed April 2012

115 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

My partner and I booked a private room at this hostel for our trip to New Orleans. I think we both have mixed feelings about the place. We only paid about $50/night, which was a good price considering that most of the other places that were that cheap in New Orleans were pretty scary or way too far from anything. For $50 a night, you pretty much get what you pay for. The hostel was a little hard to see because they don't have a visible sign out front.
The private room we booked actually had 2 extra bunk beds that we didn't need, but they didn't charge extra for them. We also had an air conditioned room and a fan, although the A/C wasn't always on. The bed was queen-sized and the bedding was decent (not gross or anything), which was nicer than we expected. Make sure that you use their bedding and not your own (don't use your own sheets, sleeping bag, etc) because it's against their policy and they will charge you a fee for doing so. However, do make sure that you bring your own towels, as the hostel does not provide them. They might have a couple extra ones laying around, but I remembered to bring ours at the last minute and I'm really glad we did.
Hostels are European-style, of course, so all of the bathrooms are shared. Fortunately, there was one right next to our room that we could usually monopolize ourselves if we unlocked the door on both sides. I counted 5 bathrooms total, although one was just a toilet (which was very small) and one was just a shower. The bathrooms were honestly kind of gross. The one closest to us was obviously the most convenient to use, and probably one of the nicer ones, but the tile floor was always kind of slimy and the tub would have standing water in it after a couple of minutes in the shower. I wish I would have brought flipflops because I kept feeling like I was going to get athlete's foot. One of the other bathrooms was very musty and damp.
The communal kitchen is open from 8am to midnight. While they do offer a free all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast, it's a make them and serve them yourself deal. The one time we went to see if we could have pancakes for breakfast, we couldn't find any batter already made and decided to go out instead.
The hostel isn't super rowdy, but was occasionally loud, which is to be expected, honestly. We didn't socialize with other travelers, but everyone seemed to be fairly polite. This probably isn't where you want to stay if you're looking for a romantic getaway.
The hostel office was very disorganized and messy. When I tried to pay after checking in, they had to unplug their internet connection from the modem and plug the credit card reader in. I guess they didn't realize that the modem needed to be reset, because they kept thinking my card was declined that night. They told us it was totally fine to pay the next day, and after talking to my bank, I learned that my card was never declined, their card reader was just not connected to the line. Fortunately, someone else on staff figured it out the next day and was able to run my card. We weren't aware that they charge 8% extra if you pay with a card instead of cash until we were checking in.
The hostel has the number for United Cab, the nearby (and apparently one of the best) cab companies, posted on the office door and they're happy to schedule cabs for you if you don't want to call them yourself. However, make sure that you specify a cab that accepts credit cards when scheduling one, if necessary. Not all of their cabs accept cards and we found that out after getting a ride and not having any cash on us. The hostel has a free shuttle service from AmTrak and Greyhound. They also offer a discount on an airport shuttle ($15/person), which can save you a little extra on the cab fare, just make sure to schedule the shuttle 12 hours in advance. We missed the window on that and ended up paying $33 for United Cab to take the two of us, which wasn't too much more.
The hostel isn't in a horrible location. It's a couple blocks from Magazine St, which has several shops, restaurants, bars, etc. There's also a Walmart supercenter close by. It's not super close to the French Quarter, but it's a 10-15 minute walk to the streetcar which can get you there. If you don't have a car, then prepare to do lots of walking. Or you can always take a cab. The hostel also apparently has bicycles for rent, $17/person or $15/each for 2 people.
Overall, the staff was pretty helpful and polite. Be warned that several travelers like to hang out in the back porch area (there are some tables and chairs out there), and they drink and smoke pot. The hostel doesn't really care what you do as long as it doesn't cause them any trouble, but if you have a problem with either of those things then you might not want to crash here. Nobody bothered us at all. There is also free wi-fi and a small tv in the common area. All in all, it was an ok experience, and is supposed to be the best hostel in NOLA, but we probably won't stay there again.

Room Tip: Make sure to get an air-conditioned room if you're staying here in the warmer months. It's w...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

Despite having a few good qualities this hostel lacks severely in two fundamental areas which I think makes a good hostel. These are the atmosphere and location.

The atmosphere I would best describe as a social hub for large groups of Americans and very few international travellers. During our stay we unfortunately had the company of approx 20 very inconsierate Jewish school children. They were on some kind of school trip and invited lots friends into the hostel and completed dominated the kitchen and common area. The were doing lots of group homework sessions and preaching in the small common area about God and life. This group combined with the various large groups of wanabe FRAT boys meant that nobody in this hostel were interested in meeting others but using it as a base for a group holiday. Definately not ideal if you are a young couple (25-35) looking to meet like minded travellers.
The location is also poor. It is 20 minute walk to the street car and a further 15 minute street car ride into the centre of New Orleans. It is NOT a 25 but at least a 45 minute walk to the French Quarter. This hostel is not really close to anything. It is right in the middle of a residential neighbourhood.
Good qualities about this hostel was the free shuttle, staff were OK and it was pretty clean with constant cleaning throughout the day.
As someone looking to meet other travellers who likes to be centrally located I would certainly not reccommend this hostel. My advice - LOOK ELSEWHERE.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

This hostel is located in a suburb just out from New Orleans touristy districts. About a 10-minute walk to Walmart, Cafes and the Streetcar that gets you to Canal Street (then roughly 10-minute walk to French Quarter).

Stayed in a private room, was small but fine for the price. Beds were okay. Bathrooms were pretty average, old but acceptable cleanliness. Did see a few bugs here and there but summer in New Orleans, it's a bit grungey so you're gonna expect that.

You're supplied with a common room and it's pretty easy to meet other travellers - we met some great people to venture out at night with which is what you need in this city. There's also a kitchen but didn't really use it as you're gonna be out trying all the flavours NOLA has to offer.

They have a noise curfew which is good because after spending all day and all night out you're gonna want somewhere chilled to relax. Thumbs up!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
New
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

I booked 2 nights in a dorm bed over the phone. When I arrived they only had one night booked and said they didn't have a vacancy for the next night.
THEN they did, then they didn't, then they said they definitely did but they couldn't tell me which dorm until the afternoon.
THEN they didn't again, after I had waited until the afternoon - the guy on the desk said "I can say anything if I'm doing something else" - he couldn't care less.
THEN they had a private room for twice the price - when I said they had mucked me around and should really offer it to me for the same price they said "take it or leave it".
THEN they said they have a POLICY OF NO-ONE OVER 40 - ISN'T THAT ILLEGAL ???
THEN a young miss in the office told me I had 5 minutes to leave because she overheard me talking to an acqaintance about the situation.
THEN she said "no" when I asked them to call me a cab.
THEN they tried to get out of paying me back my key deposit. DON'T RISK IT.

Room Tip: tHE HOSTEL WILL DOUBTLESS TRY TO REFUTE THIS - BUT THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED. I have stayed in h...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

I stayed there for five days, and that is literally the worst hostel I have stayed in ever!!!
the name is bourbon, but it's way far from bourbon, it's in the middle of nowhere
I saw a HUGE cockroach!
and the attitude of the stuff there was terrible, really rude!
also, the beds were extremely dangerous! they were really tall and there were no fence to keep you from dropping! and some are not by the wall, they are in the middle of the room.
by the way, there are no windows in the room
the soundproof of the wall is awful!
in a word, this is a terrible hostel!!!!!!!!!!!! it ruined my experience in New Orleans.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

This hostel was the final destination of our road trip. I kinda liked staying here, but that was more because I got used to this place after a couple of days. However, if I would go back to New Orleans, I would reconsider this hostel again. Let's agree: it's so cheap! And to be honest, what you get for that price is very reasonable. I loved the pancake breakfast and the spacious terrace behind the main building. It was very nice to sit there and chillax. We switched rooms 3 times (due to our late booking) and the first two were so so. The first one was small, with no windows, which made it hard to breathe at night. It got very hot in there, although we went in December. The second room was a dorm, with a separate entrance at the street. Hot as well. For one night it was ok, but I would have hated it if I had to stay there for a longer time. You have to enter the street first if you wanna go to the bathroom. Very inconvenient in the middle of the night especially. Oh, there was also no internet connection there. The last room was GREAT! It had a window and a comfy bed! Liked staying here for my last couple of nights. Room 11 it was!

The location is ok. It's very far from the French Quarter and the nearest street car stop is a ten minute walk, which is fine, but not late at night. Reconsider cabs! However, it's close to Walmart and Magazine Street!

Again: fun and great hostel for the price you have to pay! Miss the pancakes and the other guests over there.

Room Tip: Don't go for that big dorm room on the streets if you want a relaxing trip. We especially loved...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Been to AAE Bourbon House Mansion & Hostel? Share your experiences!