“Great hospitality” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Le Meridien New Orleans

You added Le Meridien New Orleans to your Saves list
Le Meridien New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   333 Poydras St., New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Hotel New Orleans Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #115 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Omaha
“Great hospitality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2009

When I arrived in New Orleans, I ended up with a cab driver who tried to charge me too much for my ride. Darren, the valet and bell hop, was kind, helpful and apologetic for the types of people in this world who try to take advantage of others. The staff at this hotel was very nice and cheerful. I ordered room service one night and the service ended up being extremely slow. They made up for it by giving me a voucher for the bar. I don't know whether they have a business office but they provided me a free FedEx box and did not charge me extra to ship the package (most hotels charge).

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
wneworleans, General Manager at Le Meridien New Orleans, responded to this review, December 10, 2009
Well Hello There,

We appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the W New Orleans. We are delighted to know that our talent enhanced your overall service experience. We do apologize for some of the WOOPs in your overall stay and we do hope that you would consider coming back and letting us show you what a true W experience is all about.

We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm wishes,
Angela T.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2009

I was in NOLA for a wedding, and while everyone else was staying at the Roosevelt (where the wedding would be) I got the same price for 2 nights at the W that everyone paid as the wedding group rate for one night at the Roosevelt, so I have to say that right off the bat, I was happy because I got a deal. That said, the W on Poydras is good, but not great. The Staff: very courteous (like most people in NOLA) and responsive to requests. OH and they'll print off your boarding pass for you at the reception desk, or if you fill out a little slip with your info, they'll do it ahead of time and stick it under your door, and they took the time to review the seats available on my flight when I wanted to check in and get a different seat. They have computers you can use in the lobby (not quite a traditional business center since it's all out in the open) but the worse part about that is that they charge by the minute! redonkulous! Location: Right across the street from Mother's (a NOLA landmark) and Harrah's...though it's closer to the waterfront than the French Quarter, it's still within a reasonable walking distance. Worst case, you take a $6 cab ride to the Quarter and start your walking there. I did both depending on the shoes I had on. The hotel itself is currently undergoing some kind of renovation (or at least I think they are...) as I stayed on the 4th floor (Floors 5 through the top require a key card for access on the elevator...I would've preferred to have been on one of those floors, had I known) and portions of the carpet were covered in taped down cardboard. Again, not sure why. The room itself had upgraded features in the bathroom, but it had the original tile on the floor which though classic, look dated. The carpeting in the room also had flicks and spots of discoloration. Nothing that would ruin a vacation, obviously, but it definitely didn't have the 'polished' look that most Ws do. I have to say, unlike some others who raved about the Bliss products in the bathroom, I hated them. As a mater of fact, I can't remember the last time I left the free-bees at the hotel. Why would I want my hair to smell like cirtus peppermint (or something rancid like that?). They were gross, if you like regular shampoo smell, make sure to pack your own. The ROOM: modern bar, huge desk, flat screen tv, chaise and shutter windows which I liked. Though really the BEST feature in the room was the iPod radio. Why this has not become a necessary feature in all hotel chains? I do not know. Anyhow, all in all, I got a great rate through Expedia, for a pretty great W. Bottom line anyhow, if you're spending too much time in your room in NOLA, you're missing the point of being there! go eat and drink!

Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
New Jersey, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2009

I had a room booked for 3 nights at this hotel. A week before I was to arrive I called and asked for a late check in. I was told I could arrive as late as 2am. The morning of my flight there was a computer glitch with the airlines. I called the "W" again at 11am and checked my late check in. The reservation desk told me "You'll be fine". At 1am when I arrived I was told there are no open rooms. The reception desk did what they could and got me into another hotel 5 blocks away. They paid for my cab and sent me on my way. After having to play the check in game at another hotel I finally got to bed at 2:30am

At 6:30am I got back to the "W" (I had a 7am appointment at the "W") and checked in. They took my bag and told me it would be waiting for me in my room when I came back from work. At about 1:10pm I got a call telling my my room was ready and my bag was on it's way up. All I had to do was stop at the front desk and pick up my key.

The rooms are fine. The hallways are loud. It's tough to sleep when people are coming back to their rooms at all hours (till 4am) after partying in the French Quarter. It is New Orleans though so you can't blame the hotel.

After calling to check on a reservation twice, I wasn't expecting to lose a (very important) hour of sleep because of overbooking. The staff was polite and apologetic but it doesn't make up for overbooking and not honoring a confirmed late check in.

I would tell anyone thinking about staying at this hotel to arrive before your check in and be prepared for a night in another hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

Have stayed dozens of times in many hotels in N.O. This was, by far, the noisiest stay. We were on the top floor, so street noise was not a major problem, but the rooms were so poorly insulated that every word spoken in neighboring rooms could be heard, even at normal conversational levels. Hallway noise was also very evident. Did not make for a restful room.
The fitness center required a GPS to find....long hallway, several flights of stairs up into a "dead-end" room. Would have been frightened for my wife to go there alone.
While the decor of the hotel is "hip", the construction is old and dated with very small bathrooms and small rooms.
The staff was friendly and helpful. Our complaints were basically related to structure of the property.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
jimbonash
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2009

Nice hotel with a great lobby and a few nice bars. I've been to a few W properties before and the rooms here were not really up to par. Nice styling, but the bathrooms seemed outdated for this hotel.

Great location for the gamblers though.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
wneworleans, General Manager at Le Meridien New Orleans, responded to this review, November 19, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your recent experience.

I reviewed your comments concerning your stay with us. We were very disappointed to read that our product was not up to your expectations. Please accept our apology... your feedback is valued.

We would welcome a chance to welcome you back to the W New Orleans and we are confident that we can create a WOW experience for your next visit.

Warm Wishes
New Orleans
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

I was looking forward with my stay in the city at the "NICE" W hotel. it was going to be my first time there with my husband for his birthday, a few of my friends recommended the hotel. i booked my stay through their website, so therefore i made mistake and book the wrong date. i called to asked if i can move it just a day ahead, they told me no. its non refundable, i mean they already charged my card, its not like im asking for my money back, just asked to move it to the day before it was originally booked. they couldnt even do it. im really upset, i just lost out on 200 bucks on hard earning money, i will surely not recommend it to any of my friends!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Baton Rouge, LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

This past weekend we celebrated my 50th birthday. Had friends come in from out of state and around the LA. We booked 6 rooms separately. At check in we were graciously accommodated when asked to if we could all be put on the same floor. Friends decorated my room while a few of us hung out at the bar and drank. The staff was very helpful, willing and patient in assisting with the demands of an overly eager "party coordinator". The room was lovely, clean and comfortable, the bar and restaurant were clean and efficient, both food and drinks were superb. Beginning with valet parking continuing through check in, bellmen, concierge, security, house keeping and guest services through check out the entire staff I had contact with during my visit were pleasant, helpful, friendly and always professional. I picked the Hotel because the overall design seemed to match the parties "Vampire" theme. With the general cold and modern look I was expecting the staff to be a bit aloof. To my delight it was like being welcomed home, A very luxurious home. The W on Poydras is conveniently located across the street from Harrahs Casino and is only a short walk to the street cars on St. Charles that will bring you down historic St. Charles Avenue to Audubon Park or walk a couple blocks to Canal Street and into the French Quarter.

• Stayed October 2009
wneworleans, General Manager at Le Meridien New Orleans, responded to this review, November 25, 2009
Well Hello There,

We were delighted to hear that you and your friends had a wonderful experience at the W New Orleans. It was great to read that overall your service experience with our talent was a WOW. This feedback will be shared with all our staff members. We are also happy that you found the W New Orleans in close proximity to all of your downtown needs.

Please know that we appreciate and welcome your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back to the W New Orleans and to the Crescent City.

Warm wishes,
Angela T.

Been to Le Meridien New Orleans? Share your experiences!