“Best Hotel - Kids Loved It!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le Meridien New Orleans

You added Le Meridien New Orleans to your Saves list
Le Meridien New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   333 Poydras St., New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Hotel New Orleans Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #114 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
A TripAdvisor Member
“Best Hotel - Kids Loved It!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2005

My children ages 9 & 11 and I stayed here during the junior olympics - the children were in awe of it. It was very modern and hip - the staff was exceptional ! We will look to stay at a W whereever one is available A+

• Stayed August 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
New Orleans, LA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2005

Stayed one Friday night here to be close to Harrah's casino. We're locals and wanted a girl's night out downtown while summer hotel rates were low, $119. I reserved a room described as City View, High Floor Room, Panoramic Views of the City. That wasn't a request but the actual description of the room on the reservation. We checked in at 5pm with a receptionist with an unfriendly attitude to find that our room was on the 4th floor. The highest floor available was the 7th. I personally don't mind unfriendly employees as long as they are taking care of your needs. In this case she wasn't doing anything to try to get us the room that we had booked. I found it hard to believe that two hours after check-in during the slowest season of the year that there were no rooms higher then the 7th floor. We took Room 405 since it was near the pool entrance. The view was of Poydras Street and the Loews Hotel across the street, not terrible but not panoramic at all. Bad service with an attitude at the front desk.

The room itself was nice but a little worn. It had two double beds and there was very little extra space. I would not call this a big hotel room, only average. The beds were the absolute best part with pillowtop mattresses, featherbeds and down comforters.

We popped a bottle of champagne to start the night and there was no ice bucket. There happened to be an employee in the hall. He said there should be one and saw that ours was missing and promptly brought us one, which was probably the best service we had the whole time. The ice bucket was very small and held the bottle and about 5 ice cubes.

The next morning after a long night of partying and gambling, there were several problems which kept us from sleeping. First was the fire alarm that went off at about 9am for several minutes. Next was the 11:30am wake-up call that the front desk accidentally called for at 10:30am and realized their mistake half way through speaking. Of course I was already awake by then. Then lastly was the lack of a Do Not Disturb sign. The "Style" employees once again disturbed the precious 4 hours of sleep that we attempted.

The last thing that proved the lack of attention-to-detail was the New York Times that they delivered after they asked if I wanted the Wall Street Journal or the local paper and I requested the local paper, the Picayune. I got neither of the above.

Just a random example of the clientele here. Most people were in their 20s and 30s. But there is a whole other sector which is the older men who want to be cool and are looking for young women. We walked out by the pool and a group of men who were renting a cabana asked if we'd like a cocktail or a car or a house. These are the kind of people who are staying here. That's just a generalization of course but it was a common theme. Great if you're looking for a sugar daddy but otherwise just annoying.

In my opinion, for the same location, Loews is a much superior hotel. And the Hotel Monaco is my favorite in this price range. Those two are also pet friendly which we sometimes require.

Pros: Location, beds, Bliss Spa products
Cons: Sloppy service, expensive parking, high price, obnoxious clientele

• Stayed August 2005
New Orleans
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2005

Decided to spend a long local weekend getaway at the W New Orleans and it was perfect.

The room was great and the bed was very comfortable.

The staff was excellent. Extremely courteous and very friendly.

While getting ready to leave one morning, my wife heard the housekeepers outside our door, not wanting them to skip our room she informed them that we would be leaving shortly. Staff response, "Thats no problem, we're here all day, just let us know when your ready."

Another time we were entering the hotel from the door adjacent to where the dog walk is. Yes the W is very pet friendly. Well there was a housekeeper just outside the door, as we approached she turned to us with a smile and warned us, "Please watch your step." as polite as could be as she was cleaning a mess on the ground. No hint of attitude. There was a manager type in a suit guarding the exit from inside the loby. Apparently one dog had an accident right in the door way, and the owner just left it there. Thats how courteous and polite they are, even when performing a very dirty job.

The hotel is conviently located in the city. Practically everything any type of tourist would want is easily within walking distance. The casino is right across the street from the main lobby entrance. The French Quarter, Superdome, Convention Center, National D Day Museum, Audubon Aquarium of the Americas / Imax Theatre and Riverboats all within a few blocks. Theres many great reasturants within walking distance as well. Want to get a little farther into the French Quarter or maybe your not feeling like walking back, the River Front Street Car Line has a stop a short distance from the hotel and extends to the other end of the French Quarter. The nearby Canal Street Street Car Line will take you the roughly 4 miles through the Mid City / Carrolton Area to some classic New Orleans Cemetaries, or the New Orleans City Park, and Museum of Art. The equally accessible and historic St. Charles Street Car line will bring you to the Historic Garden District / Uptown area very near to Audubon Zoo. All of these lines will bring yo to the doorsteps of many of the citys famous and not so famous reasturants and bars.

To sum it up the W New Orleans offers a great hotel with an excellent staff in a very convienent location.

• Stayed April 2005
Middletown, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the W the last weekend in July. The hotel is gorgeous - clean, modern decor with the most unique, beautiful flower arrangements I've ever seen. Our room was not huge, but it was lovely with a comfy King bed and a slinky chaise lounge. We requested a riverside room, which gave us the nice view pictured in the attached photos.

The staff had the perfect amount of Southern charm. The bell attendant told us all about the hotel and pointed out local attractions. They always said "hello" or chatted with you in the elevators. The Living Room bartender, Jen, is a sweetheart. Pay her a visit when you are caught by the daytime torrential downpour.

Met some nice vacationers from Montreal. Saw some trendy beautiful people, and some elderly folks. It's a mix.

Only complaint? The pool area should have more lounge chairs and the drinks shouldn't be marked up so much out there.

The hotel is by the mall, the river, and within stumbling distance of the Quarter. A good bet. Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2005
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2005

i stayed here in may for a conference and found the location quite convenient and central. as with all W's, the decor was fresh and stylish, although the rooms were small. it seems that many of the complaints arise from individual snafus with service, i did not experience any of these. the concierge was very helpful to me in finding restaurant reservations and other help. the pool area was also nicely decorated, albeit small and the exercise room was very nice.

i think this as other W's is solid choice for someone looking for a more design oriented, urban experience. space is an issue, but if you manage your expectations you wont be too disappointed.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2005

We stayed at the W New Orleans. I had never stayed in a W before, and now I don't ever want to stay in anything other! We went for a conference and got a great deal through hotwire at this hotel. The place is very trendy and sleek. The staff was just ok, but the room was fantastic. The beds? Forget about it. Lets just say I was late to the conference a couple of days LOL. The beds are like big fluffy clouds. As far as the bathroom it didn't have a fan to vent the steam and our tub got clogged a few times warranting maintainance to come up a couple times but it didn't bother me that much. One day the cleaning crew didn't show up til after 4, but they compensated me by giving me a boatload of the Aveda products that they put in the bathroom. They have a cool bar/club downstairs, the name escapes me but it was very nice, dark with beaucoup candles everywhere. Pricey drinks though. The location is awesome, can easily walk to the french quarter, and it's dead across the street from harrahs casino $$$. Where inside, they have a pretty good breakfast buffet for like 10-or 12 dollars I think. Also inside the casino is a fantastic restaurant called Besh steakhouse. Outstanding food and impeccable service...be sure to make rezzies for this place or you'll be waiting hrs to get a table. A few other noteworthy restaurants: Bacco on Chartres St,,,,this place was so awesome we went TWICE! We went to Emeril's NOLA, and were highly displeased with the server we had. He acted like he was doing us a favor by waiting on us...had to wait for drinks forever and he didn't even offer dessert. When we asked for the dessert menu he dropped it off, meandered back and asked what we wanted, by then we were disgruntled and said we would pass, he shrugged his shoulders and walked away. However I have to be fair and tell you the food was delectable! Therefore I must say you should go, I just wish I knew the ---- servers name so I could tell you to avoid him!
Anyhow enough about the restaurants, this is about the W. I am bummed because our conference is in Texas this year and there is no W hotel, so hopefully we find something comparable. Feel free to email me with ANY questions you may have.

• Stayed December 2004, traveled on business
Houston, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2005

We stayed at the W for 4 nights in late May and had an amazing time. The location is close enough to the French Quarter for shopping and stumbling home after one too many drinks, yet far enough away to sleep until noon with no street-noise disturbance. The atmosphere is extremely trendy, stepping on the line of "too trendy" at times; but a warm lobby with a welcoming martini bar and friendly staff constantly looking to offer help, and tourist advice/suggestions on what to see and do in NOLA. I would definitly consider this a 30-under hotel, or those young at heart... as all staff and guests seem to be some of the youngest & hippest in the city. Rooms are pretty small, but clean ~ beds have great linens, but not comparable to the "Westin Heavenly Bed" (then again, what is?) Overall, I had a great visit to NOLA, made even more memorable by the W hotel, the friendly staff, and one too many martinis. ** My favorite thing ~ Large rugs in front of elevator are changed 3x's daily to read Good Morning, Good Afternoon, Good Evening. Nice touch that always made me smile...

• Stayed May 2005

Been to Le Meridien New Orleans? Share your experiences!