“Best place to stay for Tales of the Cocktail, July 2013” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #111 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
San Antonio, Texas
“Best place to stay for Tales of the Cocktail, July 2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

First, the hotel is soooo modern, so clean. So yes, two mature women, both educators, fit right in. We were greeted by Joseph, an outstanding host and receptionist. He informed us about hotel amenities and sites nearby. The room was so comfortable and very roomy. Robes were soft and fit just right. Despite the younger clientele, it was so quiet, no roundy behaviour, so private. I would recommend the W to anyone, any age and we will definitely be back next trip to NOLA.

Room Tip: It's right across from Harrahs and right across from Mother's Restaurant...yummy!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
whotelsnola, Manager at W New Orleans, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Hello delrio1973 -

Thank you for choosing to stay at W New Orleans during Tales of the Cocktail. It's a wonderful festival in New Orleans and we hope you had a great time! We appreciate the great review that you posted on TripAdvisor and for taking the time to share your feedback with other travelers coming to New Orleans. We can't wait to welcome you back and hope it's sooner rather than later!

1,136 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Amory, MS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Even though we have stayed he before, I was very concerned after reading the latest reviews. Our room was comped by the casino, so that should be taken into account when reading this review.

We arrived about three on Friday, July 19, 2013 and we were able to check in right away. The only problem was the clerk said the reservation was for one night, not two. I won't go into all of the boring details, but it had to do with how the reservations were made through the casino. Christine was very helpful and also gave us a king room on the 20th floor as we requested.

The room seemed larger than the last time we stayed here and the bathroom was definitely larger with plenty of counter space for toiletries. Everything looked clean with the exception of the settee under the window. It was filthy and had what appeared to be drops of dried biological material in 4-5 places. I literally scrubbed it down myself. Ewww!

The bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows, a safe, and mini-fridge, and coffee maker. The view was part of the side of the Windsor Hotel, roof of Harrah's, and the river. Actually better than it sounds.

Our biggest complaint were the prices of drinks and a $5.00 price tag for a bottle of water in the room, and three dollars for a 7.5 oz coke in the mini fridge. My husband went downstairs to get us a drink from the bar and I asked for the house Chardonnay. $14.00. Talk about mark-up.

The complaint I noticed in other reviews the most was about housekeeping. They were correct. We left the room about 10:00 and did not return until about 5:15 pm. I noticed that housekeeping was still cleaning rooms. I walked down the hall and asked for towels and coffee and told them to skip our room, as we were trying to dress for dinner. About 7:00 housekeeping knocked on our door and said they showed us as checked out. We had to have our keys remade when we came back at 5 pm, although we were assured this would not happen. I cannot imagine still trying to clean rooms when most everyone is trying to shower and get ready for the evening. There is apparently no communication between the front desk and housekeeping.

Overall it was a nice anniversary trip as one always can expect a few complications when traveling. We just don't let little things ruin our fun. Which reminds me of a review I just read about a travel coffee pot - the review said the pot did not work on foreign current and it ruined her entire trip to Europe. WOW!

Room Tip: Ask for a high king room. Corner rooms are smaller and have very cramped bathrooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
whotelsnola, Manager at W New Orleans, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Hi Leedixie -

Thank you for posting an informative review and for staying with us over your anniversary. I know it's a special time for a couple and we are thrilled that you spent it with us. We appreciate your comments and your compliments about our hotel. Because check-out times can vary for guests, our style team is often cleaning rooms into the evening to accommodate new arriving guests. Please accept my apologies for what appeared to be a lack of communication between departments. If you remember your room number, please email it to wnocservice@whotels.com as I would like to have our Style department inspect the chaise lounge for cleaning or replacement.

We hope to welcome you back again on your next anniversary or before so we can show you a flawless experience from start to finish.

Andover, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

This was my first visit to a W Hotel property. I had high expectations, but that quickly changed. I booked two rooms from Priceline for this hotel. I had a room for myself, my wife and two children and one for my brother and his girlfriend. At check in we were told that there were only rooms with king beds available. So all four of us would be sleeping in a king bed.

When we got to the room we realized we were given a handicap room. No shower stall, just the continuation of the floor with a drain. The whole room was not very clean. We actually found a shoe from one of the previous guests under the bed. The air conditioning in both rooms did not work very well. My wife cleaned the dust out of the intake vents which did help.

The room is also set up awkwardly, with a huge desk taking up too much space..

After the second night my brother moved to a different hotel so we would have room to sleep.

The staff we encountered were all nice, especially,Dallas, the bartender.

I would not recommend this hotel, I would also hesitate to book a stay in another W hotel based on this property.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
whotelsnola, Manager at W New Orleans, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Hello woody3475 -

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your recent stay with us. I know that first impressions can last a lifetime, but I hope in this situation, that is not the case as we would appreciate the opportunity to turn your experience around regarding this particular hotel and W Hotels in general. Please accept my apologies for the condition of the room, the inconvenience of the ADA room and for not having any rooms with double beds for your family when you arrived. I do understand the challenge that this caused for you. As a first generation W Hotel, our hotel is scheduled to go through a renovation next year. We'd love the chance to welcome you back to show you the experience you deserve and one I know we're capable of providing. Additionally, I hope that you will reconsider your hesitation and stay at other W Hotels as they are each unique in style and atmosphere. As a brand, W seeks to provide exceptional service to each and every guest - no matter the location. We'd love for you to try our W French Quarter property in New Orleans, which completed a renovation last year, or another W hotel in a different city. If there's anything that we can do for you in the meantime, please let us know at wnocservice@whotels.com. Thank you again for your feedback and for your consideration.

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

After hearing raving reviews from friends about W Hotels, my family and I were looking forward to a comfortable stay in a clean hotel. However, our expectations were not met and we were very disappointed with the quality of our room. The room itself was dark and dingy. The purple bedding was dated and the sequinned decorative pillow was tattered. The 'gold' coloured velvet chaise was stained as was the bed skirt. The carpet also felt sticky on bare feet. One of the bedside lamps did not work at all. Worst of all was the bathroom. The mirror and its black frame was marked with toothpaste splashes and the chrome vanity mirror had pink lipstick marks around the edge. We reported this to reception and they were very helpful and prompt to get the bathroom situation rectified. Yet, on our return we found the large mirror to be clean, but the frame still had toothpaste splashes and the lipstick was still on the vanity mirror. I ended up cleaning it myself! The back of the bathroom taps were also encrusted with soap scum. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful, but the cleanliness and dinginess really let the W reputation down. I would recommend regular spot checks of the rooms and the use of a lighter and and more welcoming color scheme when next refurbished. Clearly, this W hotel was trying to create a trendy 'moody' atmosphere, but unfortunately it presents as dark and dingy. Hint: crisp white bed linen covers immediately shout 'clean' to guests :-)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
whotelsnola, Manager at W New Orleans, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Hello SPN05 -

We appreciate the feedback you provided about your recent stay. I'm disappointed to hear about the condition and cleanliness of your guest room when you arrived including the bathroom prior to and after reporting your concerns. I'm glad to hear that our staff was prompt in attending to your needs, but that we weren't as thorough as we should've been. Please accept my apologies as we want you to come away with a better experience. The hotel is scheduled to go through a renovation next year and we would love to invite you back to turn your opinion around. In the meantime, I would like to look into the condition of the room where you stayed. If you will email me at wnocservice@whotels.com, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you again. All the best,
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Definitely the worst W I have ever stayed at, and probably the worst hotel period. Check-in took about 20 min, apparently no rooms were available when I arrived at 4:30 p.m. I got allegedly "upgraded" to a better room but I am still somehow facing the wall of the building next door. The rooms are extremely blend and feel extremely dated. My first day there room service had just started at 6:15 p.m when I got back from my day - I call downstairs and it seems all normal to them. Don't get fooled by the nice pool photo on their site, it's tiny and there are barely any chairs to lay out around it, plus you lose the sun very early in the day because of it's location on the 4th floor. The gym is also horrible and is in serious need of updating - all the equipment/machines are rusty and probably date from the 90's. I could not recommend you more to stay somewhere else.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
whotelsnola, Manager at W New Orleans, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Hello Yves Y -

We appreciate that you took time to provide feedback about your recent stay with us. I'm really sorry to hear that overall, you didn't enjoy your time at the property or care for the facilities. Please accept my apologies for the delay in servicing your room or for the longer than average wait time at check-in. Regarding your comments about the condition of the property, we're excited to share with you that the hotel is scheduled to go through a renovation next year. We would love to welcome you back to show you a different experience and turn your opinion around. If there's anything that we can do for you in the meantime, please let us know.

Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed at the W New Orleans on Poydras as part of a Package I booked through Southwest Vacations 07/11/13-07/13/13. Some of my friends had stayed there last year and liked the hotel and the location. So I booked based on their recommendation. A few weeks before our trip I came across the reviews from my TA family and became concerned about our accommodations. After reading reviews dating back to Dec 2012 I was concerned enough to call the hotel and express my concern about the cleanliness of the rooms. I was assured my room would be clean. Upon arrival I experienced the same friendly service so many of you wrote about &..tada a clean room. If I want to be picky I could whine about the room size or rough towels. But really people, I need a clean comfortable room to grab some shut eye after hanging in the quarter. This I got. Location is great. Property had the little nuances that you would expect from the W.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
whotelsnola, Manager at W New Orleans, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Hello TDS611 -

We appreciate your business and are pleased to hear that overall, everything went well with your stay at W New Orleans. Our goal is to provide exceptional service and personalized experiences for our guests so I'm happy that our staff was able to accommodate your needs and requests. You're an important guest to us and we hope to welcome you back again soon. If there's anything that we can do for you now or in the future, please contact us at wnocservice@whotels.com.

All the best,
nj
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Looks: Everything looks good, but lacks comfort. Lobby has one hard small couch pushed into a cornwe. The bar has a very cool laquered picnic bench. Who wants to sit at a picnic bench? The room has a huge desk taking up a whole wall with TV over it. This means no drawers if you want to unpack. Teeny closet. NO outlets by desk because all was hard-wired. This meant charging laptop and phone balanced on the toilet in bathroom. Desk is black, walls are very dark gray, lighting poor. Throw something dark on the furniture and then lose it. Coffee maker did not work.

Staff: Good: Concierge was great with restaurant suggestions and great places for music. Really knew the city. Acura experience was a nice ride with a very friendly driver.
Not so good: We told the pleasant check-in guy, Steve, that it was our 30th anniversary. We were not looking for freebies, but nothing, really? We had recently been to Le Meridien in Budapest for my birthday. They not only up-graded the room, they sent up birthday cake and champagne! A simple note from manager might have been nice.
A room that actually thought of traveller's needs would be even better.
Was it awful? No. Would I recommend it or ever stay there again? No

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
whotelsnola, Manager at W New Orleans, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Hello rbodner890 -

Thank you for choosing W New Orleans on your recent visit to the city and for sharing feedback about your experience. First, let me say happy belated anniversary. Thirty years of marriage is a wonderful reason to celebrate. We do like to treat our guests with unexpected surprises - especially for special occasions, so please let me apologize that no one acknowledged it. I appreciate the kind words you shared about our concierge and the Acura experience as well as your thoughts about the Living Room and guest room decor. Feedback from our guests is how we improve our service and our hotel. We hope that you'll reconsider staying with us in the future as we'd love to show you a flawless experience from start to finish. If there's anything that we can do for you in the meantime, please contact us at wnocservice@whotels.com.

Thomas Pavlik

Been to W New Orleans? Share your experiences!