“Ok for the price, better places can be found” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #111 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Fort Worth, Texas
“Ok for the price, better places can be found”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

we had been told that the W in New Orleans was the place to stay, make sure that when someone tells you that you stay at the right one. We hope they were talking about the one in the French Quarter, because this one didn't live up to the hype. Stayed at the government rate, we were there on business, the rooms were nice for the price, but pizza principle definitely applies, everything in the room is individually charged, very expensive, drinks in bar are the same. Nice that its across the street from the Casino, but a bit of a walk to the french quarter. Good restaurants within walking distance. DO NOT LET THE VALET PARK YOUR CAR. In addition to one of the most expensive valet services in the area, they damaged a brand new rental car, less than 100 miles on it. It was obvious it was them, the white scrape up the left rear matched the white painted brick post it was parked next to, they took the report and denied they did anything claiming pre-existing damage, still have the report from 30 mins earlier showing no damage. They don't care and even with surveillance to prove it, they deny it was them. Very disappointing that such a nice hotel has such crappy service from a contracted valet.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Hello Jag67,
thank you for letting me know these details about your recent stay. Please accet my apologies for your experience in Wheels. If you would kindly email me at wnocservice@whotels.com. I'd like to learn more so that I can make sure this does not happen again. Thank you in advance for your time.

1,135 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I booked through the Sheraton’s reservation desk. Since the Sheraton was booked up for half our stay the agent recommended we stay at the W for a few days then move to the Sheraton. She raved about it. She was so excited and even sounded jealous that we were staying at the W. I feel like we were duped. After reading other reviews on Trip Advisor we tried to change but hotels in the area were booked up… so we stayed.

At the most this hotel will get a 3 star rating from me and that would only be because of the wonderful (and always ready to help) staff. The hotel is very loud because of the thin walls. No point using the “do not disturb signs”… anyone knocking on your neighbor’s door will sound like it’s your own (which happened several times) We could hear the person showering in the room above, people in other rooms, random noises throughout the night and creaking in the walls.

While the lobby is nice, the rooms are not. Poor room condition- dirty walls with scratches and marks everywhere (a simple can of paint goes a long way). The bathroom sink/cabinet was rusting and there were marks on the floor. I have a very bad gag reflex so I had to look away when brushing my teeth because the sink drain was simply disgusting. The hotel is clearly old and not well cared for. Thankfully the bed was comfortable and clean. Parking is expensive ($40 USD a day) We will look for a better hotel next time and likely will not trust the reservation agents in the future.

Hello IndigoGold,
thank you for sharing your review. I am dissappointed to hear that we did not live up to your expectations. I appreciate your feedback, if you have a moment will you kindly email me at wnocservice@whotels.com? I would like to know which room you were in so our engineering team can address the issues you encountered immediately. Thank you in advance for your time, we want to make things right.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I was very pleased with the excellent customer service provided by the front desk and other staff throughout our stay. Staff were professional and very helpful. The location of the hotel was very convenient (within walking distance of many attractions). However, the room we stayed in (on the SPG floor) was is in apparent need of attention; overall, room features appeared to be worn and in need of update (it is one of the original W's). The room does not provide the ambiance I have encountered at other W hotels. Management was very responsive to feedback provided and it was noted that there are plans for renovations in 2013. On my next trip to New Orleans, I would consider staying here again after renovations, given the excellent customer service. Other highlights: great gym, outdoor pool (wish it was heated), offered a DVD collection for guests, highlighting films that feature New Orleans.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a quiet room, request upon check-in. We were given a corner room with a door...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Hello JNomad,
thank you for sharing your review! I always enoy hearing from our guests, but I am especially thrilled to hear that our Talent left a great impression on you. I appreciate your feedback, and am glad you enjoyed the WET deck, SWEAT, and our DVD library. We'll see you again soon.
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

4 of us met in New Orleans for a long weekend. The location is great. However, the wonderful rooms were not as anticipated. Even though these are base rooms, given the reputation, description and cost, the expectation was to have a wonderful room and experience. That said, the room was nornal, not lush. There was a small closet, but no dresser storage (living out of a suit case). When making reservations, requested adjacent rooms and king size beds (did not occur). The bathroom was a small single occupant space. Daily room clean up is on a request basis (putting a green label on the initiative). From a connectivity standpoint, the wireless internet was not free. For printing, the front desk was accomdating by allowing email files to be sent for processing. Otherwise, the business center computers were $7/hour. Overall, the entire hotel seemed well kept, but was dated and on the verge of being seedy/shabby. Next trip, alternate accomodations will be used.

Room Tip: I assume, if you reserve a higher grade room, additional ammenities would be available. Although I...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Hello MrGoodDeal,
thank you for sharing your review. I appreciate your feedback, it has helped me narrow down areas that need improvement. Whether for business or leisure, we would love to welcome you back soon.
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This was my first stay at a W so I don't know how it compares to other W's. I have travelled extensively for business and was a bit wary based on some of the negative reviews on this site but this hotel was wonderful. The location was close to Bourbon Street but far enough away it wasn't crazy.

Quick walk to most attractions and lots of good restaurants nearby. The staff was extremely friendly and quick to please -- they all looked like they enjoyed working there. They addressed all the special requests I had promptly. A colleague of mine also staying there was sick and they took really good care of her, making her special soup, bringing her ginger ale and inquiring after her the next day.

The room was great and the bed very comfortable. The water pressure in the shower was amazing and I loved the Bliss products.

The only negatives I experienced were that the clock radio did not have light on it so it wasn't visible in the dark and it was a bit noisy but no noisier than any other hotel in a major city. I didn't need to use my earplugs so it wasn't that bad. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to my friends and I would stay there again.

Hello igraze2,
thank you for sharing your review! I'm excited to hear about your first experience with W Hotels. It sounds like you had a great time. Thank you for letting me know about your friend who fell ill, I'm thrilled that our Talent was able to help! We'd love to welcome you back soon.
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This was my first trip to New Orleans and I didn't really know what to expect or where to stay within the city. I knew I wanted us to be close to the French Quarter, if not at a hotel inside the area. We didn't have much time to plan, so the W French Quarter was already booked (which from what I heard tends to book up VERY quickly because it's more of a boutique hotel - fewer rooms). I knew I would like to stay with W Hotels since I am a Starwood Perferred member and always enjoy my experiences with them. So I booked what was available and that was the W New Orlenas.

Although it is not directly in the French Quarter, it is only a quick 10 minute walk to all the resturants and bars in that area. It offered a nice "get-away" from the craziness that can happen on Bourbon Street. In true W style, they did offer a house car to take you to nearby locations which we used in the evening to take us to the bars on Bourbon. We actually requested the car after it had finished for the night, but the driver was nice enough to still bring us down there - Thanks to him! Being a Perferred Guest, we took advantage of the free cocktail in the bar as well - which was very dead and we were one of the few people even in there. I assumed that it wasn't busy because it was the end of September and nothing special was going on in NoLa that weekend (plus it was raining).

The room was VERY small, probably the smallest W Hotel room that I have ever been in before, so that took my marks down. Parts of the hotel seemed a little dirty, which didn't help to raise my impression of the hotel. The room service was THANKFULLY 24 hours and we were able to grab something to eat early in the morning after getting home from Bourbon St. The staff all seemed very pleasant, although some didn't seem to excited to be at work or helping us.

Overall, it was a nice hotel... Would I return? That depends. If the W French Quarter is fully booked, then maybe, but probably not.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Hello NateM5,
thank you for sharing your review. I'm glad to hear you are a loyal guest of Starwood hotels, and that you enjoyed your stay at W New Orleans. It sounds like you enjoyed the 24-hour room service, it can be a lifesaver after a night out on the town! We would love to welcome you back soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

It's New Orleans, but this place looks a little rough for a W. In addition to guests walking around barefoot in the lobby (which is not the hotel's fault), the room walls were scuffed all over and the velvet slip covers on the furniture faded and stained. The walls were also fairly thin, so my ear plugs came in handy in the middle of the night.

While the front desk staff were very friendly, housekeeping needs work here. One day they forgot to finish cleaning my room and when I returned at 4 p.m. I found a hairy bar of soap left on the counter. I requested that someone return to finish cleaning it, and that person left me without a roll of toilet paper and no coffee -- minor inconveniences but not what I'd expect of this hotel.

The big positive about this place would be the location, an easy walk to the Quarter (without being directly in it) and to the Warehouse District.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Hello jd294,
thank you for sharing your review. It's great to hear that you got to step out and enjoy exploring the business district and the nearby French Quarter. I appreciate your feedback about your guestroom, if you will kindly email me at wnocservice@whotels.com, I'd like to learn more about your stay including your room number so we can make things right.
Debra Barton

Been to W New Orleans? Share your experiences!