“Nice but not worth the $250 a night” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Le Meridien New Orleans

You added Le Meridien New Orleans to your Saves list
Le Meridien New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   333 Poydras St., New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Hotel New Orleans Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #115 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Largo, Maryland
“Nice but not worth the $250 a night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

Me and the misses visited the hotel for the Jazz Festival. It wasnt in walking distance of the fair grounds but it was only a 5 minute taxi ride away. A call to the front desk on my way out the door and a taxi was waiting for me when I got to the lobby. The decor was very modern and elegant. There are a couple of bars inside the hotel that are all nice. There is also a bar/lounge that plays various music with a dim relaxing ambiance. Unfortunately the Spectacular room itself wasnt that spectacular. When you walk into the room it looks about standard. The king bed was comfy and again the room had the modern design but nothing too fancy. The wireless internet which is not complimentary did not work with my laptop. Contacted the front desk who pointed me to tech support and they were unable to assist. The wired connection worked. Overall I would recommend this hotel no problem. Its right across the street from Harrah's casino and the riverwalk is within walking distance as well. For the price vs. offerings I feel as though you are paying more for the decoration than the room.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
wneworleans, W Hotels of New Orleans at Le Meridien New Orleans, responded to this review, May 25, 2011
Dear darightman4u,
Thank you for sharing the details of your recent stay with us here at the W New Orleans! I'm so grateful that you chose to stay with us during Jazz Fest, one of of our favorite New Orleans Happenings. It sounds like you really enjoyed our location and our signature W Bed. I'm also glad to hear that our talent was able to help you get to Jazz Fest! Please feel free to reach me at wnocservice@whotels.com anytime.
Arianne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

Lovely, modern and up to date but not what I was looking for in New Orleans. I should have stayed at the French Quarter W Hotel. Location was just outside the French Quarter and it took some walking each day to get in and around the FQ. Hotel rooms fitted out very modern style and staff always very courteous. It was a bit to modern to relax in the lounge and enjoy a coffee. It seemed to be a great business hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
WFrenchQuarter, W Hotels of New Orleans at Le Meridien New Orleans, responded to this review, May 20, 2011
Dear wkr011,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us at the W New Orleans! I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, from our decor to our guestroom. I also deeply appreciate your compliments to our Talent! I am sorry, however, that some of your expecations were not met, and I'd like to invite you to reach me directly at wnocservice@whotels.com so we can work together on planning your next visit to New Orleans.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

We stayed in the W New Orleans in February. We arrived at around midnight after about 30 hours of travelling and were shocked to be told that unfortunately the hotel had overbooked for the first night of our stay, and they didn't have room for us. Luckily the hotel next door had rooms, and the W had booked us in there and covered the cost. We were tired and it was an inconvenience to have to unpack, and pack up the next day - leaving us feeling not quite settled in, and we were glad to finally be able to check in at the W the next day. We had a lovely stay - clean rooms, nice staff, great decor, fantastic location etc. and thought nothing more of our stay until 2 months later when we received a credit card charge for the W New Orleans. The hotel had messed up and booked us in as new guests when we had returned to the hotel after our one night at the hotel next door, and so even though we had already paid for the room, they charged us again as 'walk in' customers. It was a shock to say the least to receive the credit card bill, having not accounted for such a large charge - we had been given no prior notice from the hotel before taking this money which may be a legal issue. After several phone calls and emails, we finally resolved the issue but it took a further week for the money to be transferred back into our account, leaving us short of money, and at a £5.00 loss with the exchange rate! The inconvenience and poor record keeping/checking in procedures have left us not wanting to return to an otherwise great hotel. We are heading back to New Orleans in August and had planned to stay here, but will now go elsewhere! Who wants unexpected credit card charges 2 months after their stay?!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
wneworleans, Manager at Le Meridien New Orleans, responded to this review, May 19, 2011
Dear danpearson,

Hello! I am sincerely sorry your stay did not meet your expectations. I appreciate your honesty and feedback and if there is anything you would like to discuss further with me please contact me directly at wnocservice@whotels.com.

Wilmarie C.
angela24c
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

The staff at this hotel is wonderful. I can not say enough about the energy given off by the welcome manager. From mini red velvet cakes to "love potion"...the staff at the W really understands proactive customer service.

The hotel itself on the other hand needs help. We opted for a cool corner room and were assigned a mid level floor. These cool corner rooms cost more but supposedly are worth it. Unfortunately, I did not think so. The room was very small - as small, if not smaller than Manhattan. The bed linens and wall art were awesome but that just doesn't make up for the filthy carpet, the non-vented bathrooms (so you always feel sticky in your room), the banged up walls, the marked-up bathroom floor tiles, and the very hard bed. When discussed with one of the employees they noted the hotel is on the list to be remodeled next year. This hotel is several years past needing to be remodeled.

We are big fans of W hotels. We use them in Manhattan and DC whenever possible. So we were extremely disappointed with this hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
WFrenchQuarter, W Hotels of New Orleans at Le Meridien New Orleans, responded to this review, May 18, 2011
Dear angela24c,
I am grateful for your feedback as it will help us target specific areas that need improvement. While I am very happy that our Talent left a wonderful impression with you, I am sorry that some of your other expectations were not met. Please feel free to contact me at wnocservice@whotels.com if you would like to discuss this issue further, and I do hope you will return should your travels bring you back to New Orleans.
atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

Stayed at W during AIA Convention in May. Paul, the valet guys, the drivers, the concierge, they were all terrific. We had at least 30 staff at the hotel and everyone was very accomodating. In fact, one of my colleagues "lost" her husband and child for several hours (coming back from zoo, dead cell phone, all was well in the end) and the W staff were incredibly helpful and kind. I would definitely return!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
wneworleans, W Hotels of New Orleans at Le Meridien New Orleans, responded to this review, May 17, 2011
Dear travellam,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay with us at the W New Orleans! It's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and especially that the Talent left a great impression with you! Paul will be thrilled to receive your compliments. I'm glad our Talent was able to reunite your colleague find her family! Please feel free to reach me directly at wnocservice@whotels.com and we'll see you next time!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

From the moment I arrived, the service was tremendous. Sincere smiles and great attitudes from the door-men to the front desk clerks. No problem is to big or small here. My room was perfect with a view overlooking the canal and Harrah's casino. I will never stay anywhere else in New Orleans. Traveled alone during the French Quarter Festival and was giving a curteosy ride to Frenchmen St. by the concierge during the evening. Thank you so much!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
wneworleans, W Hotels of New Orleans at Le Meridien New Orleans, responded to this review, May 19, 2011
Dear jymmyca,
I appreciate that you took the time to post your review! It's so wonderful to hear about your stay during this years French Quarter Fest ! I'm so happy that enjoyed our location and the view from your guestroom, but what means most of all are your compliments to our talent. We always strive to create a wonderful experience for our guests and we are thrilled to receive your feedback. Please feel free to reach me anytime at wnocservice@whotels.com to learn what else the W Hotels of New Orleans have to offer you.
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel 10 times since January 2011, so when I say I know this hotel inside and out, I really know this hotel inside and out. The only reason I stay at this hotel is because we get a great corporate rate and my boss makes us stay there. That's it--plain and simple.

The service is outstandingly bad...staying at this hotel is akin to throwing your money at cheap motel. The worst part is that they never fix the things they mess up on. Let me elaborate, with a list of all the things that have gone wrong during my stays.

1. I am always overcharged. The W has a problem here; my colleagues and I have rarely, if ever, gotten appropriate charges on our bill. They try to tag on mini-bar charges or extra valet dollars. It's happened probably 75% of my stays here.
2. Room service is a sham. You come to the W because Starwood is known for its customer service....not here. I order food, and it gets there with astonishingly slow speed. and it's never the correct order. And then it takes one....two....three calls to get someone to bring up the missing items.
3. The cleanliness is not on par with a top-tier hotel. In my bathroom when I checked in, there was a short, curly black hair lying underneath my water cup on top of the coaster. The carpets are all stained as well as the comforters.
4. The clientele here is sub-standard for a W. I was awoken mid-week by druken revelers who were shouting profanities. The front desk did nothing to alleviate the situation.
5. They can't do a celebration right. For Valentines Day, a surprise was arranged for me by my significant other with the front desk. Needless to say, that never happened. And then they overcharged him for the champagne.

This is just a sample of the numerous difficulties I have had. The staff is slow, unapologetic, and generally rude. Worst "high end" hotel I have ever stayed at, bar none. The only redeeming characteristics are the nice gym, soft beds, and good location.

Room Tip: Get a room that does not have a connecting room