“Nice hotel, nice price, great location!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #105 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Storm Lake, Iowa
“Nice hotel, nice price, great location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

What a great surprise! The location is great, conveniently located on St. Charles between the French Quarter and the Garden District, along the trolley line (with a stop right out front). Also, several Mardi Gras parades (Uptown) go right past the door. I loved the courtyard atmosphere and the multiple buildings. It gives the motel a little seclusion from the street and neighborhood.

The price is affordable, especially considering its location. The rooms aren't fancy, but very nice, clean, and comfortable. The decor is nice, fitting to the neighborhood. The beds were amazingly comfortable.

There are several restaurants within a couple blocks, anywhere from Wendy's and Popeye's next door, to Emeril's Delmonico across the street.

There is a charge for parking in the somewhat secure lot. AAA members can receive free parking, but only if the room is booked through the AAA website, so be sure to compare rates.

Room Tip: Since pets are allowed, you might want to find out ahead of time if your neighboring rooms have pets...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
maisonstcharles, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Maison St. Charles, responded to this review, February 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at our hotel. We are delighted that you had such a nice stay at the Maison St. Charles during your visit to New Orleans. We look forward to accommodating your lodging needs again in the future. Our courtyard is beautiful in the spring!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

We stayed 2 wks at the end of January/beginning of February which is a "slower" period in New Orleans. Although it IS winter, and this is a warm weather destination, most Snowbirds tend to visit at Halloween, before and during Christmas, or in the couple of weeks leading up to Mardi Gras. This is important because the rigid rates at the Maison St Charles do not really reflect this slow period. Other reviewers seem pleased with the rates they received, but I wonder if they understand that many fine rooms in the Fr Qtr were going for $89-$99/night at the same time they were paying $109-$129/night here. I myself stayed at the Place D'Armes, right next to Jackson Square, the week before moving here, and my bill averaged $99/night there.

Which brings us to the matter of the location. Maison St Charles is always being praised for its terrific location because it is halfway between the French Qtr and the Garden District. While that may be geographically true, any seasoned traveler knows that halfway between 2 highly desirable locations, can often leave you in "No Man's Land". While that is not exactly the case here, it is pretty close. First, the Streetcar issue: Yes, the St Charles Ave line does stop right outside the door. Problem is, this close to town, it is almost always packed with other riders by the time it makes it in this far (Erato St by the overpass). We literally NEVER took the streetcar INBOUND from here; always gave up and walked the 25 mins into town. Given the rich foods we were eating, and the fact that we are healthy and good walkers to begin with, this was not a huge issue, but I think it really could present a problem to older or more sedentary visitors. Next, the Neighborhood: In the immediate area are Lee Circle, the WWII, Civil War and Ogden Museums; also, Emeril's DelMonico and a couple of ordinary restaurants in the proximate 2 blocks of St Charles. Then there is that "Daquiri Bar" on the corner, which is seedy looking and literally has people lying on the ground in front of it. (This did not happen once, but every single day we were there.) The Wendy's next door and the Popeye's and KFC on the next blocks could be convenient, I suppose, if you had children with you, but otherwise they just function as hangouts for the area kids who slow down service by gabbing with their friends behind the counter. Finally, Safety: There is onsite Security, but the iron gates on both sides of the driveway are left open all day and only closed at night. This allows free access to the Hotel property all day long through the Wendy's driveway. Twice I witnessed two young men who walked in this way early in the morning, went directly to the breakfast room, loaded up plates, and left together, via the other side of the driveway. Maybe they were guests who like to walk and eat at the same time?? Since we hiked into town so many times, we tried several different routes and found that, within a few blocks, are a public housing building (St Charles at Lee Circle) and a homeless men's shelter (Camp St by St Patrick's Church). All in all, I would rate the location as pretty dicey, especially for women.

Now for the Hotel itself: The Lobby is smallish, but attractive with shabby chic furniture and tile floors. There is a single computer here which had an "Out of Order" sign on it for several days of our stay. We were in a nicely decorated, good-sized, ground floor Double Queen room which was a little musty when we first arrived. I got a bottle of Febreeze, cranked up the Air Conditioner, and left the door open for about half an hour. Problem solved. To be honest, this is a common problem in New Orleans, so again no biggie for us, but if you have serious allergies, best beware. . . Also, the tub/shower area was just disgusting, with brown stained acoustic ceiling panels, peeling wall paper, and a plastic mat glued to the bottom of the tub in an attempt to cover still obvious stains below. Again, I got disinfectant at the CVS downtown and scrubbed like crazy before I set a toenail in there. Complete overhaul of the bath is needed. There was a crack in the vanity near the floor which I plugged up with paper after killing a roach (just one; it's New Orleans) on the sink. One of the headboards was in really bad shape and should be replaced ('nuff said about that). One of the lamps was non-functional for the entire period we were there. The Internet is free, and worked fairly well, but was completely inacessible one whole night and part of the next morning. The in-room safe was too small for a full-size laptop. The hairdryer had low power and should be replaced. The in-room coffeemaker looked as if it had never been cleaned, so again, I did it myself. Cable offers poor selection and erratic signal sometimes goes out completely. I know most people don't come to New Orlean to watch TV, but we were in town for an extended stay and after a while you just miss Mr Ed! (Get METV.)

The outside is very pretty, although that inside courtyard is a little weird-- seems like a wasted space to me. People smoke throughout the grounds, which are fairly noisy, and one night we even had to open the door to protest prolonged pounding next door where another guest had bolted the door on his roomie (I know this was not the Hotel's fault, but where was Security?). Jazz is played outside, which gives the space a nice vibe during the day and evening, but it is a little loud early in the morning and late at night. The Laundry facility was very helpful and Breakfast was fine with hot and cold options; only suggestion is to add herbal teabags. The Staff was distant and seemed to spend a good deal of time talking to each other, rather than exuding the customary New Orleans warmth towards its guests.

As mentioned above, we moved here after a week in the French Qtr, thinking a week of the downtown maddness would be enough, and we would welcome both a little quiet, and an opportunity to explore the Garden District, Mid-City, and Audobon Park areas more thoroughly. We did all of that, and I have to admit that we were reasonably comfortable at the Maison St Charles, but I doubt if we will return. We were there for a faily long stay (2 wks) and no one ever asked if the room was okay, or if we needed anything. Really, what you are getting here are mediocre accommodations and practically no hospitality. They just don't seem to care whether you are there or not. Hope this is helpful.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at our hotel. It is always beneficial to hear from our guests and receive their valuable feedback. I have discussed your comments with our staff and corrective action is being taken to address the deficiencies that you noted in your letter. We sincerely appreciate your feedback, as it provides us with the information needed to correct problems and improve on the services we offer our guests. We hope to have the opportunity to provide accommodations for you in the future and show you how your remarks were used constructively.
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

If you love St. Charles Ave and the Garden District ..... this is the place for you. Charming courtyards, big comfortable rooms, New Orleans/mardi gras theme. Easy to hop on the streetcar to the French Quarter plus many restaurants close by. An excellent location and very reasonably priced.

Room Tip: There is a fee for pets.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Branson, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

I was here just this week with my wife and two children (12 and 10). Rooms were clean. The price was awesome (compared to other properties in the area). Staff was very accommodating and respectful. There is a street car stop right out front on St. Charles St. so once you are parked you can leave your own car there and use the street car. Nice and quaint. Breakfast was sufficient. Pool are was clean and small hot tub was adequate for us. 24 hour security added to my satisfaction. Would highly recommend. (keep in mind, it is a Quality Inn, it is NOT the Ritz Carleton, but for what it is, it was very nice.

Room Tip: There are three courtyards. Two have bistro type seating and one is around the pool. All are quiet...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Akron, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

This is truly one of the more interesting hotels I have stayed in. A couple of very nice courtyards to sit and relax in. Very scenic. The location is good being about 1.5 miles from the French Quarter, an easy walk and right on the streetcar line. You can ride all day for $3. The breakfast was good and there is a Wendy's right next door for evening cravings. The personnel are as friendly as can be. The only negative is that there is very little attention paid to detail here. There are spots on the carpets, paint chips out of the walls, and discolorations all over the place. There were dead bugs and dirt in the shower light. This gives a feeling of being dirty even though there are people all over maintaining the place. Also be aware that in the rooms there are two pairs of curtains on the windows. There are shear curtains which close all the way but you can see through. And there are opaque curtains which keep out the light but cannot be closed. This cuts down on privacy although I was able to clamp the opaque curtains closed with the clamping hangers in the closet. Still, if these things don't bother you, you can stay here at a nice hotel and save $50-$100 over being right next to the French Quarter

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

My wife called the hotel directly to make a reservation. She was told that our rate included the parking fee. When she printed out her reservation, she noticed that the parking fee was on there. She called the hotel and was told that parking could never be free. She was directed to call another number to ask about this. Again, she was told that parking was never free. The new number told her to call the hotel and maybe ask for the manager. My wife did, and she was told that she would be connected to the manager's line. She was cut off. She called back, and the lady said she would put her through to the manager, and that the manager was waiting for her call. She put her through and the manager did not answer. My wife called back and said that the manager didn't answer. The lady apologized and finally got her through to the manager. The manager said parking is never free. My wife said why did they quote her that? The manager did not have an answer but agreed to honor the first quote.

When we got there, of course, they said that we would have to pay for parking. We had to explain everything again, and my wife read off the list of names she talked to at the hotel about this. One of the names had a magic quality to it because suddenly we did not have to pay for parking anymore. All this for $17.

On to the room. This is not really an inn or suites. More like an outdoor motel, with all the doors facing outside. Cobblestone walkway/driveways lead you to the rooms. There appears to be a phase one and phase two to the hotel. It appears we got Phase One. The room was very small, our door did not open all the way (Room 138). It had the old time combo heat/air unit. Room was kind of run down and rough looking. Hair dryer didn't work. You always knew when the people upstairs were walking around. You always knew when someone was rolling their bags to their room because of the cobblestones. Trash truck came on Sunday morning at about 5am. Lots of banging and listening to a diesel engine rumble for about 15 minutes.

Positive - breakfast was okay and included. Fake eggs and such, but not bad. Pool and jacuzzi looked okay.

Negative - Front desk should have known that my wife was coming from a mile away. They could have planned a little to make sure she was happy. They didn't.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Leeds, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

I called to cancel my reservation because of a family emergency. I was assured that I would be refunded and/or not charged for my room if the room was resold. I book during the BCS Championship Game so I know the room could have been resold easily. I even found a friend of mine and had them call the hotel directly asking for a room. They were told they were booked and had no cancellations.

Upon calling back the following week and speaking with the front desk manager again. She informed me they were not able to sell the room. I asked why my friends were told no rooms available and she played dumb like she didn't know. I asked for a refund because I felt lied to and fraudulently deceived by the hotel. She declined and said there was nothing she was going to do and that I could dispute it with my credit card company. She was very rude. I asked to speak to the general manager and was put into his voicemail. This was almost a week ago now and I've yet to receive a call from the general manager or any further follow-up from the hotel what-so-ever.

I would never recommend this place because of the rude and inconsiderate staff. AND I NEVER EVEN STAYED AT THE HOTEL. It's bad when you have a horrible experience and you never even set foot on the hotel property.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Maison St. Charles? Share your experiences!