“Probably the Worst W I Have Stayed In” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #81 of 156 Hotels in New Orleans
New York
“Probably the Worst W I Have Stayed In”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

So I am staying in this hotel right now. I booked the room using Starwood points because I am a loyal Starwood member. I have been here exactly 6 hours and 45 minutes and here is what has happened so far:

- Front desk was friendly. My room wasn't ready and said they would call my cell when ready. GREAT!
- Two hours pass and never get a call. Go back and say they forgot. Go to my room.
- Less than 5 mins in, they come to check the room and minibar from the previous guest. Odd, but ok.
- Floor is dirty. Chair is dirty to the point I won't sit on it. Whatever.
- I wake up from a nap to have a mouse sitting on the bed. A live mouse.
- Front desk moves my room but offers no sort of apology or make good.
- Sitting in my new room now...tv doesn't work.

The staff is friendly enough but if a live mouse is sitting on your bed you should be bending over backwards apologizing, should be embarrassed for your hotel and should do everything you can to make it right.

This place is a severe disappointment.

Room Tip: Best room is at a different hotel.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Was in New Orleans for conference. Conference hotel was a couple blocks away, and as SPG, I decided to stay here (there wasn't much difference in rates).

I arrived late morning, and room wasn't ready (not a problem). They held my bags and took my cell phone number to call when room was ready. Out to explore the French Quarter. I got a call around 2:30 or so to tell me the room was ready. They actually called shortly after accommodating me with one of their private dining rooms in the restaurant for a conference call, an offer for which I ended up not having to avail myself.

Stayed four nights, requested room only be serviced once, but housekeeping checked in when they saw me to replenish the SPG (read: free) water. I was on top floor, looking the long way down their courtyard and the room was very quiet. There is a bit of a door logjam with the closet/bathroom/shower, but it's not too bad. The desk has a nice power center, but you can't close the door with anything plugged in.

Ordered a late night room service order after a night out networking and it arrived promptly, even late night. There were some aspects of the room showing wear (around the laminate, et cetera), but all in all, a comfortable, well serviced stay.

Room Tip: High Floor, Courtyard.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Hello wallyguy -

Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent trip to New Orleans for a conference. As an SPG member, we appreciate your loyalty to Starwood. I'm happy to hear that everything went so well with your stay. We hope to see you back again soon! If there's anything that we can do for you in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at wfqcservice@whotels.com.

Belchertown, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

If you want to be close to all the action but be able to retreat to a quiet, restful sleep this is the place. The Service and ammenities were fantastic. The studio room was spacious and very quiet. The balconies are small but cute and the 24hr outdoor pool is great anytime.

Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Gulfport, Mississippi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

At 5 pm today and yesterday, rooms are not ready. Oops, sorry, I mean "styled". The courtyard and check-in lobby are filled with guests (and their luggage) waiting to get in their rooms. At this moment, there is a tour group in the courtyard with a screeching guide talking about rum and the French.

Our room was "styled" this afternoon but the breakfast room service was not cleared from the balcony and the glasses were not refreshed. The carpet was not vacuumed and someone had left spent paper matches on the back balcony.

There is no lift to the second floor of the carriage house which is quite possibly the worst place in the house to stay. We are in 333. Last night a group came in at 3:30 am and continued to carouse until almost 6:00 am. I considered calling the front desk, but remembered its spring break and didn't want to spoil their good time... However, management should have noticed the disruptive behavior and dealt with it.

Could go on but am so disappointed have to stop there.

Room Tip: Don't even bother.
Green Features: Not really sure of their practices. But there were no notes about towels or sheets at most green places.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Hello JohnFolding -

I'm disappointed to read that your stay did not meet your expectations and understand your frustration with the issues you faced. This is not the type of experience that we want our guests to have and we're very sorry. Please feel free to reach out to us next time while you're here so we can do what we can to resolve the issues. If there's anything that we can do to make this right or turn your opinion around, please email us at wfqcservice@whotels.com. We'd love the opportunity to show you a difference experience the next time you're in New Orleans.

Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The only nice thing I have to say about this place is that the guys at the valet are really nice, otherwise, meh. The 'cool design' just felt like mod wallpaper glued onto dingy old rooms (and I'm a historic preservation professional, so I certainly believe in the reuse of historic buildings, just... better than this.) Our room was so loud- the neighbours were partyers and we could hear everything through the adjoining door. I expected noise from the street, but this was excessive. The gym was fine, although I feel terrible for the people in room 227 who had to deal with the gym door clanging open and closed all the time. The food was fine, but there was a terrible smell emanating from the bar the whole time, which I think had something to do with skunked beer. The service in the restaurant was what made it notable- my friend waited 15 minutes for an apple and an orange when we were in a hurry and just asked for fruit to go and pick up another friend who needed medical attention. The food service took a really long time, and while it was actually quite good, given the number of other patrons, the wait was excessive.
Also, just fyi $15 a day for internet! Crazy!
It seems that the W has created a reputation for being a hip hotel in the coolest part of town. The location was central, and the design was contemporary, but unless you want to overpay for some funky wallpaper, I don't think it's worth the money.

Room Tip: Not 227! Loud and next to the gym. Any rooms close to the gym will get both the door sound and the t...
Green Features: Nothing new: reuse towels, sheets etc. Bottles of water in the gym, not a dispenser (bad,) individual bottles of product in the bathrooms, etc v. wasteful, as usual.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Hello Serena -

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and other travelers on TripAdvisor. Please accept my apology for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. Please feel free to let us know next time if another guest is disrupting your stay as we will be happy to contact them. We will pass along the feedback to the restaurant so they can address the wait time you experienced. We do offer complimentary internet in our courtyard, which is a great place to hang out and relax. If you find yourself traveling back to New Orleans, we would love the chance to show you a different experience and turn your opinion around. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with us.

Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Really enjoyed my stay at the W. It is right in the French Quarter on Chartres Street and within easy walking distance to Riverwalk, Jackson Square, Bourbon Street and heaps of bars and restaurants. Streetcar stop close by on Canal Street. We stayed in the Wonderful Room which was very comfortable, spacious, quiet and looks out over their lovely coutyard with pool. It is attached to Soubou restaurant where we had a lovely meal. The hotel is expensive as is everything on the French Quarter but we had all amenities including iron, ironing board, mini bar, fridge, coffee maker, charging ports and full range of toiletries. Staff in the main were hospitable and happy to assist with anything. The only downside for me was on our arrival at 9.00pm after a 17hr flight we were told the room was flooded and we had to stay at another hotel which was, in my view, inferior in room and location. As the Wonderful room is on the 3rd floor I have my doubts that it was flooded, more likely double booked. Apart from that it was lovely and I recommend it.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Hello Tracey S -

We appreciate the recommendation that you provided to other travelers about staying at W French Quarter as referrals from previous guests are very important. I'm happy to see that everything went so well with your stay once you were able to check in to the hotel and do apologize for the initial delay with the room. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you find yourself in New Orleans. Thank you for choosing W French Quarter!

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The location is great but that's about it really. The fit-out is new and looks ok, but it's a bit in-your-face. Which may be the W brand I suppose. The room and bathroom was clean and neat on arrival.

Service here is sloooooooooow. We ordered a bottle of wine to be sent up twice and both times it took over 45 minutes. It's not like they have to catch it and cook it or anything... Valet takes a long time to get the car, bags took ages to come.

Our room still wasn't serviced at 3pm despite us being out from 8am.

The aircon was SO LOUD I had to turn it off to sleep, so the room got all hot and stuffy. Not ideal at all.

The minibar selection is very average.

The shower is good, no bath but I didn't expect one for the price and size of the room. The TV is a good size but the reception/resolution on free-to-air TV is AWFUL. Not sure what's going on there, haven't encountered that before.

Upside is the (young) staff are eager to please but clearly inexperienced and not well trained. I expect management is cutting corners cost-wise and that's why the service slips.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Hello Kristin F -

We appreciate the detailed feedback that you provided about your stay and would like to apologize for the problems that you experienced with the service and some of the features in your guestroom. We take our guests' comments seriously as it helps us to improve on the service we provide in an effort to exceed our guests' expectations. If you ever find yourself back in New Orleans, we'd love the opportunity to show you a different experience and turn your opinion around. If there's anything that we can do in advance of your next stay, please feel free to contact us as wfqcservice@whotels.com.

James Wroblewski

Been to W New Orleans - French Quarter? Share your experiences!