“Small and trendy” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #77 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Troy, Michigan
“Small and trendy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I've debated what to give this hotel as I have no other reference in New Orleans...so the rating is in comparison to other W Hotels.

For starters, it's right in the French Quarter, but off Canal, tucked into buildings along Chartres (if you blink, you'll miss it). While the hotels along Canal are very large (Marriott, Westin, Sheraton, Hilton), this is tiny. There's a pool, and I imagine if more than 20 people are at it, it would be crowded. The rooms are also small. We were upgraded to a "Magnificent" room, which by normal standards was still small (though to be fair, it was stylish and well maintained). One nice thing was that it had a small balcony with a table and chairs.

The gym was very small, again, probably more to do with available real estate (but they do have one). They had some outdoor seating at the higher levels of the hotel, which was a nice touch.

The size probably makes me rate it a little lower, coupled with a bad night. I was in town to run a Marathon, and the night before the race, there was a couple of rooms of young girls who were yelling and banging their doors until 4AM and didn't get anyone to do anything about it. That coupled with the wrong wake up time call (asked for 6:45, got 6AM), put me in a bit of a bad mood.

I'm not saying it's a bad hotel, but if I go back to New Orleans, I'd probably try the Westin or Sheraton.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Big Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

After reading some of the other reviews I was a bit nervous. No need, this place was so unique even from other w's I've stayed at. Check in experience was great. We received welcome drink coupons even though I was using points. The courtyard at this place was stunning. Now if you are some 30 something California hipster this may be all ho hum to you but as a 49 year old Michigan woman this place was like being down the rabbit hole in alice in wonderland. From the face from the king of hearts over my bed, to the beautiful glass shower, the french windows that opened on the courtyard, the fire water fountain, the funky outdoor daybeds in the courtyard. I could go on and on. It was a visual treat in a city that I love and have visited many times. Perfect for a romantic weekend.

Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I recently checked out Friday for a 5 night stay at the W New Orleans French Quarter. The rooms were just as usual in W form - modern, funky, and trendy...very cool.

However what set this hotel aside from other stays I have had was the customer service. Elijah, the W Insider, was able to accomodate me with advice on certain places I should eat and take a look at during my first stay at New Orleans. He recommended Mr. B's a couple blocks away and I was very impressed.

Chartrelle at the front desk was very friendly and helpful in regards to ordering in-room dining for the majority of my stay.

Roy with valet was an all star. One night when I needed a cab, he offered to grab me one... I am sure he might have jogged down three blocks in order to locate a free cab since Chartres st. doesn't get much cab traffic. Definitely went above and beyond!

And Eunice with in-room dining was very informative of what hot spots to hit for live music and where to go on certain days of the week.

The property was smaller, but it really makes you connect with their employees. I was very happy to stay at the W New Orleans and will stay there again if I have the option to!

Room Tip: The fabolous room I had came with a patio that overlooked Chartres street.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I have stayed at a couple placed in the French Quarter and this by far was my favorite. Really small and boutique-y. It is located right in the heart of things.

The pool is pretty weak - but then again why you coming the French Quarter. Walkable to everything. It's also a W - so that's pretty cool.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed here as a family this past weekend for a overnight trip to New Orleans. Loved this hotel!! Staff was so nice, room was perfect, beautiful courtyard and the location cant be beat. Would definitely return!!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Hello belle414,
I'm thrilled to hear you and your family enjoyed your recent stay with us at W French Quarter! Thank you for your kind comments and feedback on your stay! We hope to have you all back again soon.
Warm regards,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Pros:
Convenient location. The location served up the expected comfort and experience that is expected from the W brand. Modern decor, classy aesthetic and efficient service! Decent gym but small. I got a great workout in!

Cons:
Thin walls, very thin walls!! Neighbors were loud.... Stayed here on business during the week. Would've been ok if on a social trip, perhaps....

• Stayed January 2015
Hello wonderingjoybringer,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to the Big Easy! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to post a review for us on TripAdvisor! We hope to have you back soon!
All the best,
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel had the only availability for our travel dates. The location is excellent and the room was large. However when we reported no hot water, we were given a lecture on calcifying pipes. As a Civil Engineer I know nonsense when I hear it. We attempted to speak to a manager. They put Trey on the phone, however he refused to answer follow-up calls or to meet with us. They were very kind in pointing us towards a salon nearby where we would get our hair washed. We were told they would "take care of us", and upon check out said we would get a free night. This was later changed to half off one night, which covered the cost of our salon visit, and some Starwood Points I don't want. Even as a Starwoods member they do not offer free WiFi,The staff is very friendly but completely incapable of handling an actual problem. When Traveling to NOLA you have so many other options where they understand the meaning of being in the hospitality business. Go elsewhere, Windsor Court, Montelone, Royal Sonesta for a start.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Hello Joan R,
Please accept my apology for the water outage inconvenience during your most recent stay with us at W French Quarter. I apologize if our staff was less than attentive and helpful. I will make sure to pass along your comments to our team and see that improvements are made.
Sincere apologies,
James Wroblewski

Been to W New Orleans - French Quarter? Share your experiences!