“Sadly in Decline....MOVE ON QUICKLY” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #76 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
“Sadly in Decline....MOVE ON QUICKLY”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We have stayed here at least four times in the last four years.

Sadly, what was once a small well run 4 star hotel is tired and old with service that's not even close to a three star hotel.

We traveled from New York and arrived late. I called earlier in the day the same day to let them know we'd be checking in late and to hold our reserved room for us.

Importantly, I mentioned my partner had had a stroke and that we needed things to be easy access. Please note he is a dance instructor, yoga instructor who is the portrait of health....not someone you'd expect to have a stroke.

The male receptionist who answered said yes the room would be saved and noted our late arrival time in the system.

On checking-in they said they had upgraded us to a suite -- INITIALLY a welcome surprise but SOON TO DISAPPOINT!! I learned NEVER PRE-PAY!!!!

First, it turns out the room was a larger room but with the smallest window I have every seen and no terrace per our original reservation. Also the room could have been further from the elevator as possible which was not very helpful for my partner who post stroke -- just to be fair he is a dance and yoga teacher hit with something completely out of the ordinary.

Second, the room felt tired -- there were rips in the sheets (will post a pic), no bulb in the desk lamp (took two days and multiple requests for house keeping to get a bulb installed), scuffing on the walls and base boards, half a TP roll and no back-up etc. etc. On day two we ordered room service breakfast for two, which took roughly 45 minutes to arrive (as oppose to the normal 20-30min at most hotels let alone high performance hotels) and cost at a whooping $60 dollar -- $5 tea, REALLY????

The day after we arrived I asked the front desk if they could move us to the original room level I had pre-paid for (don't pre-pay here or you'll be sad you did). They said they could offer a road side terrace room but as my partner needs his sleep due his stroke, which I made clear to staff was an issue, so this room was not an option.

Latest, today as we arrived from walking around the French Quarter we got to our room only to find the key that worked for access in the elevator did NOT work for access to the room. So I had to leave my partner on the fifth floor while I returned to Reception to get the keys re-programmed.
The reception gave me the usual "it got deactivated because you put it next to your phone or credit card".....so I let her know I spend roughly 2/3 of every month in hotels traveling on business and am WELL AWARE NOT to keep my room key near my phone or my wallet. REALLY!?!?

I must say this experience at the W French Quarter was a complete miss and one of the WORST I've had at the hotels I've stayed at over the past year.

As a senior contributor to TripAdvisor I do not recommend this property....move on and find something cleaner and better run.

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Having stayed in many W Hotels world wide, it's without hesitation I can say the W New Orleans French Quarter really stands out as the cutest. It's almost hard to find, though it's smack in the middle of the French Quarter.

I was a bit disappointed that my "Spectacular" room was extremely dark with a microscopic window facing a side street, so I would recommend you book either a main street or garden view in advance. Despite elite status there was no alternative.

The hotel truly has a boutique kind of feel. The garden is small and so is the pool, but it's all in proportion to the number of rooms.

Keep in mind that in July the Big Easy is really unbearable when it comes to heat and humidity. Every indoor space in the W was chilled to the bone, a very welcome luxury if you're not used to this.

The room was a disappointment, but the hotel as a whole is a really nice addition to the W chain.

Room Tip: Make sure your room has a view. Even my two class upgraded room didn't.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
JC, NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

First off let me start by saying I work in the Hospitality Industry - both in accounting and rooms inspection.

My family and I stayed at The W for the Halloween weekend (2 days)- upon inspecting our room we saw a big dark stain on one of the mattresses (double room). We lifted the covers and the bed sheets to find out mattress had urine and blood stains on one of the beds and the other bed had only a urine stain. We asked to be moved to a new room - myself and the night auditor (who was extremely kind) inspected 5 other rooms on various floors only to find the mattresses were in worst shape than the one in our room . All had urine stains , blood stains, hairs and one mattress even had a shoe print (looked like a boot print).

I asked to be moved to another hotel if we couldn't find a clean room - the night auditor mentioned the occupancy rate was high (92%) and the options would be limited in finding a room. Finally after 2 hours, a room was found that was clean enough to rest for the night (the mattresses weren't in too bad of shape (no stains but a long hair on sheet).

This is very shocking to find at a W? Where were these mattresses acquired? Who's inspecting the rooms and surely housekeeping must see the stains when they change the sheets - if they even change the sheets. Why wasn't this spotted no pun intended. that will be the last time we stay at this W. I hate to write negative reviews but this was a necessity. The Front Office offered to refund all the points we used for the stay.

Room Tip: Examine the mattresses for blood stains, urine stains and hair...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Hello seanderek -

We appreciate the feedback that you provided about your recent stay with us. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the challenges that you faced with the guestrooms as this is not the type of experience we want for our guests. We are looking into the situation with our team internally. I'm glad to hear that you found a room and that our Welcome Office was very accommodating to your needs. If you'd like to provide any further feedback, please feel free to email us at wfqcservice@whotels.com. If there's anything else that we can do to turn your experience around, please let us know.

All the best,
James Wroblewski
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed here with a group of friends for a birthday. This is your typical W Hotel with a bit of New Orleans flair infused.

Pretty standard as far as rooms are concerned and not too much else to say, good or bad. Service was standard of what you would expect at a W Hotel.

Room Tip: Hopefully, you have points and can be upgraded. Rooms are a bit on the small side.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The W properties do not disappoint! Loved the W French Quarter on Chartres. Lovely property, great people (W people), fab room (Spectaculor upgrade worth it!)! We were in heaven....early checkin no problem. Sobou house restaurant is delicious! First Thursday of the month in the bar is "fight" night! Chef comes in with a bowl of "stuff". The bartender who crafts the best cocktail wins. And if you are lucky to be sitting at the bar, you judge. Happy hour food and drinks are the best.
Too bad the FQ has changed to the point where Bourbon St is a no go - clean this up! Chartres and Frenchmen is the place to go. Try Domenica for the best pizza and pasta! The Gray Line Tour (tho pricey) was good. We would have missed the beautiful City Park. The Besthoff sculpture garden is a must.

Room Tip: Room 212 is great!
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Vienna, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I travel to New Orleans often and stayed for two nights recently on a business trip. The location of this W can't be beat - right in the heart of the french quarter without the rowdiness and noise. Very short walk to just about everything. Front desk staff (all of the staff actually) were super friendly and comped me free cocktails for having to wait while my room was prepared. Excellent bar service with innovative cocktail menu - I definitely recommend grabbing a drink here. The courtyard is a welcome place to sit and enjoy a coffee or drink. The outdoor pool was very very small and a bit awkwardly placed in the courtyard - but seemed clean and is apparently heated. My room faced the street with a small outdoor balcony which offered a lovely place to watch the world go by without much noise. Rooms were on the larger side compared to other W hotels I've stayed in. Bathroom was small but clean. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

The place has a cool vibe. I am a Platinum SPG business traveler. I prefer a room with space to work and stretch out after a long day. The room was small but comfortable and clean. It's certainly worth a night to check it out.

I spoke with Ezra and Sebastian on numerous occasions and they were personal and made every effort be accomodating.

• Stayed December 2014

Been to W New Orleans - French Quarter? Share your experiences!