“A Good Starwood Property That Misses The Mark As a Luxury Hotel.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #83 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Mission Hills, KS
“A Good Starwood Property That Misses The Mark As a Luxury Hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

The W Hotel French Quarter is a solid hotel with many positive attributes, but misses the mark when it comes to true luxury, unfortunately leaving the city of New Orleans without any "5 Star" Starwood options. Here's why:

Pros:
Location- The best thing about this hotel is it's location. It is located in the heart of the French Quarter, but far enough away from Bourbon Street to make it safe and fairly quiet.
Property- This hotel is truly unique for the W brand hotel, offering approximately 90 hotel rooms. The property has a nice courtyard and small pool that allows you to feel like you are staying in a boutique hotel.
Customer Service - The entire staff was helpful, pleasant and attentive during my entire three night stay. A special thanks to Lorenz Stattegger, a great Starwood employee who used to work at the W-Hotel DC.
Restaurant and Bar - I loved hanging out at the bar in the evenings. They had great bartenders and a super happy hour from 3-6pm. The restaurant was quaint and the food was very good.

Cons:
Rooms- Although I was upgraded to a room with a balcony, the room was very small. The walls were thin and I over heard guest in neighboring rooms and in the hallways. It woke me up several times each night. Towels were worn and rooms needed a bit of updating. The bathroom was "very" small with absolutely no counter space.
General Maintenance - The property has the potential to be stunning. Unfortunately, you can tell it has been neglected for some time with not much regularly scheduled maintenance. During the day the courtyard looked very warn and could have used more plants and flowers. The walls around the pool were unattractive and it felt like you were sunning in an alley way. There were other areas of the hotel that needed updating too.

Overall, this is a solid Starwood choice when staying in New Orleans. However, it does not compete with other luxury hotels like the Monteleone, Roosevelt, and Omni. Depending on your room rate, you may want to consider spending your money elsewhere. Bottom line, I recommend this hotel for it's outstanding location and customer service, but not as a luxury hotel.

BTW, as a SPG Platinum Member, I received a nice room upgrade with balcony, free Wi-Fi, a bottle of water each day, and a $14 credit ($28 if two guests) that could be used for breakfast at SoBoe. The restaurant does not start serving breakfast until 7am, but you can use the credit to order room service starting at 6:30am. There is an added $5 charge for room service.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Hello BOLDMissionHills_KS,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to New Orleans. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and we appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your review of the property on TripAdvisor. We value and appreciate your feedback, and I will pass along your comments to my team and see that the necessary improvements are made. We hope to have the opportunity to host you again upon your next visit to the city.
Best,
James Wroblewski

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Greencastle, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Just finished up an enjoyable 4 night stay at the W French Quarter. Not the typical W hotel since this is an older property that's been given the W makeover. More of a botique hotel with some character and charm. I booked this stay through Amex FHR and though I was told at check in I was receiving a room upgrade due to FHR and elite status, I'm fairly certain I was given what I was booked (which was fine). The service and staff were fantastic, which I've come to expect from W hotels, and the adjoining Sobou restaurant and bar were excellent. I didn't experience any if the noise issues other travelers have mentioned, though I did notice some people frustrated by some trimming and construction that appears to be taking place near the pool. The only reason this was not a 5 star rating is the odd bathroom in the room... the door and wall are translucent and you can basically see what's going on inside... forget about any bathroom privacy. Additionally, if anyone enters the bathroom at night, the light shining through illuminates the entire room through the glass disrupting sleep for you traveling companion. All in all we had a great stay, but be wary of the bathroom situation!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello Benjamin W,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to New Orleans! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and we thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on TripAdvisor. We value all of our valued customer's feedback and are constantly looking for ways to improve our guest experience. We hope to see you again soon upon your return trip to New Orleans!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We are repeat customers to the W French Quarter and SPG Gold. The location is very convenient for exploring the boutiques, restaurants, antique shops and art galleries in the Quarter. There is a small, onsite pool and courtyard that are perfect for cooling off after a hot summer day. There is nothing like lounging in the warm night air under the stars on one of the lounge-beds outside drinking a chilled cocktail or class of wine. The hotel lobby always has a large cooler of chilled water which is smart given the heat and humidity.

The rooms are small, but the bed is very comfortable and there is decent WIFI and free Starbucks coffee. The Bliss bathroom amenities are some of my favorite.

However, I was not pleased with the design and lighting of the bathroom. It is too small and poorly lit for anyone to apply their makeup well. And I do not like sitting on the top of a toilet using a dim makeup mirror. We gals want to look good and not leave a hotel made up like a tramp because we had poor lighting. I urge the hotel to do something about the bathroom lighting and add hooks or towel holders so I have somewhere to place my used towels. The glass doors are also awkward for opening and closing and one time the door almost sliced my finger.

The on-site restaurant, SoBou, run by Ti Adelaide Martin and Lally Brennan (NOLA restaurant royalty) is fabulous. You must have a drink prepared by the effervescent Abigail Gullo who is one of the most charming mixtress-ologists in NOLA. Do not miss the chance to enjoy some of the best hospitality the city can offer.There is free parking nearby for restaurant customers which is a HUGE plus for locals and visitors with cars. Ask about this.

The pet charge was $100. Sazerac, our small Maltese, was content and like lounging outside with us at night. I'd like to see W Hotels provide a small pet package so we don't have to carry our gear. e.g., dog bed, water bowl and plate for food.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room down the hall and facing the street for better light and peacefullness. Chartre...
Green Features: They have a very good green program. We stayed a week so it made no sense for us to use the same towels all week.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Hello mightymelanie123,
Thank you for taking the time to post such a fabulous review for us on TripAdvisor! We love hearing from our loyal guests and look forward to having you return! We greatly appreciate your comments and feedback. I will most definitely share your review with our team members, especially Abigail. We can't wait to welcome you back to W French Quarter during your return visit to the Crescent City!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

The real reason to stay at this hotel is the great location--close enough to walk to everything interesting, close to some amazing restaurants, but on a relatively quiet corner so you can sleep!

Apart from that, the people at front desk are incredibly friendly, as are the rest of the staff. The hotel is fairly small, has a little pool, a smaller gym. The rooms are what you'd expect from a W--on the small side, very trendy design, annoyingly dim lighting. Some of the rooms share a connecting door, which allows in a lot of noise from neighbors. You can hear everything from the hallway as well. Luckily I was able to upgrade to a different room, and ended up in one that had a small outdoor space--enough for a little bistro table--and no noise issues.

Recommend this hotel if you can avoid one of the noisy rooms, and if you put a priority on location.

Room Tip: Upgrade to one of the rooms with a balcony.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello H K,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and had a relaxing trip. Thank you for taking the time to post a review for us on TripAdvisor as we love hearing from all of our guests. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!
Warm regards,
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights on a short vacation to New Orleans.

Rooms
The room we had was a good size with a nice view overlooking Chartres. The bed was comfortable, I was a bit surprised that the bed sheet had a very visible hole torn in it, but aside from that the upkeep was good. Great HD TV with good selection of channels. Decent Bliss products in the bathroom which were restocked as necessary. Bath robe provided. Large safe suitable for a laptop; large wardrobe.

We received great service from the moment we arrived, and as they'd seen it was my partner's birthday they sent up a bottle of wine to the room which was a nice touch. Everyone we dealt with was friendly and helpful.

Pool
The hotel has a small (but not too small) pool in the courtyard, with a few loungers around the side. Unfortunately only one half stays in the sun in the afternoon if you were planning a relaxing afternoon tanning by the pool, so you need to get there early to claim those loungers. (Not that you should come to NO just for a tan!) Towels provided poolside and there seemed to be drinks/food service from the bar if you wanted something. Pool has disabled access via a ramp and a chair to lower into the pool if that's something you need.
There is also plenty of outdoor seating in the courtyard area, and many rooms overlook the courtyard.

Bar
The bar and restaurant, called SoBou, is always lively. There was only one night that we couldn't get a seat at the bar for a quick cocktail before heading out as it was too busy. We also ate there the last night (a Friday) as dinner in the quarter seemed tricky as places were full. The food was great, really tasty and high quality, and service prompt. Bar staff made awesome cocktails and were super friendly, and they had a wide selection of spirits.

Location
The hotel was in a good location, just a few minutes walk from the bustle of Bourbon St, but not so close that it was noisy or the area was full of drunk people stumbling around. Slightly towards the 'edge' of the French Quarter, it's also just a few minutes walk from Canal which has good street car links to other parts of NO.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello Dean D,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to New Orleans! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay, and we appreciate you taking the time to write such a thorough review for us on TripAdvisor. I hope you and your partner enjoyed your time in New Orleans! We look forward to welcoming you back to W French Quarter upon your return visit to the Crescent City soon!
traveller973
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

The W French Quarter has all the W cool. The design is modern but not overly pretentious, the bar and restaurant are the opposite of most hotel bars,i.e. you actually want to hand out there and the location is amazing.

I must compliment the chef on what is probably the most tasty bar food I have ever eaten. The bar tenders are great as are the drinks.

The problem starts with the rooms. I know it is an older building and I know that comes at a price but the room I was given for the first two nights was so noisy, it would have been impossible for anyone to get more then an hour's worth of solid sleep a night. The room had connecting doors to rooms either side and the doors are really thin and have NO acoustic insulation. I could hear every word that was said or even whispered next door. The same goes for the doors to the hallway.

As interesting as a Brazilian domestic dispute might be at 6 AM, when trying to get some sleep after a 15 hour flight, I would rather settle for peace and quiet. It was a scene out a movie shot in a cheap motel. But the W does not charge the same rate as a cheap motel...

After I flagged the problem, I was given a somewhat more quiet room with only one connecting door but no effort or gesture was made to compensate the fact I has not been able to sleep for two nights.

The W is cool. No question. But the primary function of a hotel is to provide accommodation and a place to sleep. When you get the wrong room, best to stay out all night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without connecting doors.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Hello traveller973,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to New Orleans! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and we thank you for taking the time to review our property on TripAdvisor. I will pass along your praises to our chef, Juan Carlos. I'm sorry to hear you we bothered by some disturbances with other guests, and I hope the rest of your trip proved to be more peaceful and relaxing. Thank you for sharing your feedback with us as we take all of our guests opinions and concerns very seriously. I hope you will return and stay with us again upon your return to New Orleans.
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Soon as you get off the taxi or any transportation you are automatically greeting by smiling and helpful W employees. Location is perfect for the French Quarter. Bourbon St. is just two blocks away to enjoy adult fun. Good restaurant and food. Lots of bars and live performances throughout the street.

• Stayed July 2014
Hello DatBoiCarr,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to New Orleans! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and had a great time in the city! Thank you for sharing your experience with us and a few great photos! We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay and compliment our employees. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your return to the Big Easy!
James Wroblewski

Been to W New Orleans - French Quarter? Share your experiences!