“Perfect Location!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #51 of 152 hotels in New Orleans
Washington, DC
“Perfect Location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This was my 10th trip to the Crescent City. Most of my previous trips, I stayed at the W New Orleans on Poydras Street. I had always steered clear of the French Quarter location because I expected too much of the Bourbon Street party vibe (and smell) to spill over into my hotel experience. Upon my recent stay here, however, I now realize that this was far from the case!

First, the location is great. No, it's awesome! Everything in the French Quarter is within walking distance. We even ventured by foot past Canal Street and into the CBD. You literally are close to everything. Yet, it's just far enough from Bourbon Street (2 blocks) to escape its sights, sounds, and smells when we teetered to our room in the wee hours of the morning.

This location is what you would expect from The W--modern, but with a traditional New Orleans feel. Many rooms feature the balconies that are associated with The French Quarter. Our room had the swing-out casement windows that let us observe all the sights and passersby on Chartres Street. Beware: These windows don't have screens and if you leave them open while the room is unattended, you will have several flying, or crawling, visitors upon your return. You've been warned.

The rooms are way more spacious than the Poydras Street location as well. The beds were well dressed and really comfortable---the perfect combination of soft and firm. The lighting was more than adequate. Maybe they worked a little too well because we both remarked on our own previously un-noticed flaws under these fluorescent lights. I don't want those lights at home! All room lighting is controlled by a wall switch, of course. But, they are also controlled by another switch located at your bedside. I DO want this at home!

The rooms do not feature a microwave. This is such a shame because I felt the need to reheat leftovers in the middle of the night. Not a problem, though, thanks to The W's Whatever/Whenever service. Just one call to the front desk and voilà, a microwave was wheeled right up to our room! Cool!

I visited the Sweat Fitness Center during my stay, as well. The room was equipped with modern cardio machines and free weights. There were even mats and adequate space to do floor exercises. Water and entertainment is provided. Overall, a great place to work out on vacation.
The pool site was more than adequate, as well. Again, it's a nice mixture of traditional courtyard + modern W hotel amenities. Too bad it rained for much of our stay.

The only minor qualm I had with this location was with the housekeeping staff. They attempted to enter our room during the mid-morning on our first night's stay. We told them to come back and they agreed. An informational brochure located in the room mentioned that the staff "redesigns" our rooms between the hours of 9am-6pm. However, when we returned to our room later that evening, it had not been cleaned (or redesigned). We did not have that problem for the remaining days of our stay, but we often found that we were missing things that are normally replaced by the housekeeping staff. (Toilet paper, bath mats, clean towels and washcloths, etc.) Again, the Whatever/Whenever service promptly made up for any shortcomings of the housekeeping staff. I must point out that we visited during Essence Music Festival and I do realize this is a very busy time for New Orleans.

Overall, the stay was great and I'd definitely recommend this hotel to my friends and colleagues. If you have time, try SoBou, the hotel tapas restaurant. The plates run on the small side (duh, tapas), but it has a nice ambiance and friendly staff, who took time to converse with me while I waited for check-in. Oh, if you're lucky enough to arrive there on a Monday-Friday between 11:30 a.m-3pm, you must try the Two Bit Cocktails! You do realize that Two Bits=25¢, right? Limt 3, because that's enough. It actually says that on the menu!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Hello ngphilpot.
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to New Orleans. I am so happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. We tremendously appreciate you taking the time to write such a wonderful review for us! I am glad that our Whatever/Whenever service was able to promptly attend to your needs. We always try to go above and beyond for all of our guests, and I am glad to hear that that does not go unnoticed. I'm pleased to hear of the many things you enjoyed while staying at our hotel - I wish the weather had been better for you to enjoy the pool and courtyard more! I sincerely hope you will be returning to W French Quarter in the very near future. We look forward to welcoming you back.

327 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Coquitlam, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Lan the Bellman is the Man... Great Hotel , Great service, Great Location , Great Courtyard , Anything we needed was instantly at our finger tips and everyone helped out no matter how small of an item we needed . The front desk has umbrellas ..highly recommended for those storms that roll in for about an hour in the afternoon. We got caught in one and the rain was super intense for about 40 minutes and we got soaked . Lessoned learned and the umbrellas from the front desk saved us the next time .

Room Tip: all the rooms looked great and where close enough to the action but far enough away to get the rest...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Hello brett a,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to New Orleans. I am happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We love going above and beyond to meet the needs of all of our guests, no matter how small their needs may be. I am glad to hear that those efforts do not go unnoticed. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip and the rain didn't put too much of a damper on your visit. We hope to see you again upon your next visit to the Crescent City!
All the best,
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

W Hotel.. If you are reading this then let me tell you a little something about your outstanding staff...
I own a restaurant in Ireland, so I'm only too aware that any establishment is only as good as its people.. Yours are the best!
My husband and I checked in on our honeymoon, having just left New York .
We are met on reception by a chap call Jermaine, who was just the best front of house we have ever met. He paul don't do enough for us. Detailed maps, where to go, where to avoid, just a pleasure..
When we left to visit the town, he had champagne delivered to our room.
We book into the restaurant that night and what seemed like every single member of staff came to congratulate us.
Karen Marie our adorable waitress was just awesome. We laughed our heads off with her...
The bar manager came to tell us her Irish Travel stories and it turned out we knew the same people.
All this is pretty incredible, when you consider we are two guys!
I cannot stress enough how incredible these people were, they made us so welcome we're all so genuine.
Jermaine/Karen Marie, you have a job in Ireland anytime x Paul and Anthony x

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Foodie558,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit. Thank you so much for your kind comments about our staff. Your compliments and praise will be passed along to our entire staff, particularly Jermaine, Karen Marie, Paul, Abigail and Anthony. I'm so happy to hear that you had such a pleasant experience in New Orleans and at W French Quarter and SoBou. Coming from a restaurant owner, your comments mean a lot to all of us. We hope to see you again upon your next visit to the Big Easy!
All the best,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Our stay at the W- French Quarter was amazing! The hotel is beautiful and comfy. The location is awesome and we felt very safe!!! The staff was very friendly & helpful (valet- Daniel & Mark :), front desk, & every other worker we ran into!) We truly loved everything about the hotel and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013
Hello RebelGirl08.
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit. I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. I will pass along your praise to all of our staff. We always aim to meet every need of all of our guests, and your praise truly means a lot to us. Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our property on TripAdvisor and we look forward to seeing you again upon your return to the city.
Colleyville, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The w is located with walking distance of everything we wanted to do in New Orleans. Check in was very easy, staff wad beyond friendly, and we would stay here again for sure. The only drawback was the noise in the halls late at night and early in the morning which was more of a rude people problem instead of the hotels. Did not eat at the restraunt or check out the bar so I have no opinion on those.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello cascott4,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to New Orleans. Thank you for your kind comments about our staff. I will pass along your praise to our Welcome desk staff members. We look forward to seeing you again upon your return to the city and hope you will get the opportunity to try our restaurant, SoBou.
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I love the W-French Quarter, its dark hallways, sexy vibe, comfy beds and rooms. Love the shell globes outside the reception area that give guests warm dim light at night. It's a W which is good. I've come to appreciate how the W (Starwood/Sheraton) can take original old buildings and transform them to sensual environments. I'm not a snob by any means but the artistry of W designers let loose on old buildings is to be admired. They've done this really well in NYC also. The Kimpton Group tries to unseat the W but Kimpton spaces look "put-together" I must say the modern W Hotels are just ok, im getting tired of modern hotel minimalist spaces nowadays . It's the old buildings transformed to a W "vibe" that makes it worth it for me.

The W French Quarter has so many nooks and crannies, different room layouts, it lures one into coming back. It's also a more intimate W than the larger ultra modern one on Poydras. It's location is nondescript, in the Quarter, down the street from one of my favorite restaurants, K-Paul's, and on my favorite street Chartres. OK, OK, it is my favorite hotel in NOLA, LOL. It's just far enough away from the Bourbon St promenade but close enough to partay when you are in the mood! Get a room with a balcony if you are there during spring for the Jazz festival or in the winter. I dont ever make it to Nawlins during Mardi Gras and I dont want to, LOL. Nuff said.

Room Tip: A balcony room with a street view is fun in the spring. Or a second floor room with a view of the c...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Hello paolola,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to the city. We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and we appreciate your compliments on our recent redesign. We look forward to having you again upon your return to New Orleans! See you soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

My trip was wonderful. I am from New Orleans but for my friend's 26th Birthday I decided to book a room here. The front desk agent Jonathan R. Was so helpful with anything we needed. We felt like tourist in our own city! Most memorable Birthday ever!

• Stayed July 2013
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Hello Abeetaylor,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter for your get away for your friend's birthday! I'm so happy you and your friends enjoyed your time with us and were able to experience the city in a new way. I will pass along your kind comments to Jonathan. Thank you for taking the time to review our property on TripAdvisor! I hope you will think of us again for any other special events!
James Wroblewski

Been to W New Orleans - French Quarter? Share your experiences!