“Not Particularly Elite Friendly And A Bit Weird...But You May Love It” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W New Orleans - French Quarter

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #54 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Chicago, Illinois
“Not Particularly Elite Friendly And A Bit Weird...But You May Love It”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I’m not sure how to rate this hotel. For me it was probably a “3” at best, but I can see that it might be a “5” for a lot of people. First of all, it is a “W” and you have to expect something different; in my experience they are all different and none are what you would call “conventional”…they tend to cater to a special kind of guest. This one is in a 300 year old building which smelled damp and caused a very bad allergy attack for my wife (we had been in New Orleans for several days at a nearby hotel with no problem); there is no cab stand (so getting a cab can be difficult, as is true for almost all French Quarter hotels); staff tries hard but often is not helpful (like with their very poor Wi-Fi service…staff I talked to did not seem to have a clue, but did refer me to their IT contractor who wasted about 90 minutes of my time, also did not seem to have a clue and never did get it working right in my room); the décor can be downright scary ( like the hall wallpaper that looked like hundreds of shiny eyes looking at you ); our room was designed more for style than function ( like the phone being located in an unlit area next to bed, having a very short cord and being nowhere near the desk , almost everything hidden behind panels and a translucent glass bathroom door ); there is no elite lounge or much special for Starwood Platinums (except upgrade to a very nice, albeit weirdly decorated, large room) and, well you get the picture. On the other hand, the beds and showers are excellent, the soundproofing is great, the location is great and the staff really tries hard. My guess is that the things which I did not like do not matter much to (or are even liked by) their target guest and are insignificant compared to the positives. So I guess you have to decide what type of guest you are and make your decision- I doubt if we will be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Hello travelingdoc42,
Thank you for choosing W New Orleans - French Quarter during your recent trip to New Orleans. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to review our property on TripAdvisor and value the feedback you provided us with. If you would like to reach out to us at wfqcservice@whotels.com and provide us with additional details of your stay, I will be glad to help in any way I can. Thank you for your kind comments about the quality of the beds and showers, as well as the soundproofing. Thank you again for your feedback.

379 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

Jermaine and the rest of the W staff were extremely helpful and always willing to go the extra mike to be of service. This is a very important factor to a so so stay to a great one. Rooms were decent in size especially for the location. You don't need a car if you are going to stay in the FQ and they do have a car service (book in advance) that can take you within a 5 mile radius. If you do rent a car then avoid the high hotel fee and park at the Premier Parking garage just a block down the road on Chartes. It's just $25 for overnight vs $30-45 depending on car size at the hotel. Overall it was a great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013
Hello dlopez57,
Thank you for choosing W New Orleans - French Quarter and for taking the time to review our property on TripAdvisor. I am please to hear you were delighted with your stay. We love going above and beyond for all of our guests to leave them with a lasting positive impression. I will pass along your kind comments to Jermaine and the rest of our staff. We hope to see you again upon your next trip to New Orleans.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I'm very picky about hotels and have been known to leave hotels that have bad rooms, service, etc. This W is excellent. The location is perfect, two blocks to Bourbon street, short walk to everything you need. The service was outstanding and the room was great. I had a mega suite, I'll admit the tarot card on the wall was a bit creepy, but the room was great. Very well kept, clean and trendy. I loved the record player with the Miles Davis record, such a great touch. The pool is small, but nice. The fitness center is small, but it will get the job done. Will definitely go back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hello Its_priss,
I am delighted to hear that you were pleased with your stay at W New Orleans - French Quarter. We love going above and beyond to meet the needs of all of our guests and hope to leave a positive lasting impression. Thank you for taking the time to review our property on TripAdvisor. I will pass along your fabulous comments to the rest of our staff. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you're in New Orleans.
Lake Charles, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Valet parking fees were astronomical, the AC was not functioning in my room and it took a couple hours to remedy. There were not enough accessible electrical outlets in the room and the AC vents were broken and had to be individually moved, the bathroom had a big long red hair on the shower wall and the floor was dirty.

The rooms are also very small for the price and everything in the hotel is very expensive.

Room Tip: The guest ambassador that helped me with a number of issues was very polite, professional, personabl...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Hello L P,
Thank you for choosing W New Orleans - French Quarter during your recent visit and for taking the time to review our property and address your concerns. Please accept my apology for the difficulties you experienced with your room. If you would like to email wfqcservice@whotels.com and provide me with your room number, I will inspect the room for improvements. If there is anything I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

If your looking for location location and proximity to the quarters and the activities I would book the hotel, however if your after inconsistent hospitality/service I may consider a separate option. When we checked in at 5pm our room was not ready, which isn't the best thing to hear after a 7hr flight we wanted to freshen up and was discourage to hear our room was not ready yet and it was already 5pm!

Another issue we encounter was towels, we had asked for towels at the pool and waited nearly an hour before asking again only to be told it was being address and we needed to be patient (50 mins waiting by the pool!) The management was nice enough to offer us a food and beverage credit and boy were we glad we used it at SoBou, you must eat here! The food is amazing and so is the service.

All in all it was ok

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Hello gkaeris,
Thank you for choosing W New Orleans - French Quarter for your recent stay. I appreciate you taking the time to review our property on TripAdvisor. Please accept my apology for the difficulties you faced when checking in, as well as with the service at the pool. I am happy to hear that you were delighted with your experience at SoBou and hope you will decide to stay with us again upon your next visit to New Orleans.
Biloxi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We chose the W French Quarter for it's location & previous experience with W hotels. The service was very good from the valet & front desk. We were supposed to have a room upgrade but were told there wasn't a room available. They gave us some food & drink vouchers, which was ok by me. The decor.... oh, the decor... I love modern, but this wasn't nice, sleek, classy, modern it was more like Twilight Zone weird. Not at all classy. Pictures of eyeballs everywhere, wallpaper that made me nauseated to look at, and the ugliest carpet I've ever seen. The room was so ridiculously small. A bed & one chair with about a foot to move around them. The bathroom has a glass swinging door & is located within a foot of the bed. Can you say privacy, please!!! We had the a/c cranked down, but it wasn't very cold. I spent the night waking up every time the a/c went off, kicking off the covers, tossing & turning in the rather uncomfortable bed. This place needs a major overhaul to be the kind of hotel one expects of a W.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Biloxi176,
Thank you for choosing W New Orleans - French Quarter during your recent visit to New Orleans and for taking the time to review our property on TripAdvisor. We strongly value the feedback our guests provide us with. If you would like to email us at wfqcservice@whotels.com with you room number, I will inspect the room for any improvements. If there is anything else I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Great location, professional from entering to exiting. Our river view suite was lovely albeit small and was somewhat awkwardly planned w the bathroom door being the first thing you run into when you opened the door. I will though stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Hello travel55free,
Thank you for choosing W New Orleans - French Quarter during you recent trip. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We love providing our guests with quality service and an excellent W experience. We look forward to having you again upon your next visit to New Orleans.
James Wroblewski

Been to W New Orleans - French Quarter? Share your experiences!