“Great location, beautiful courtyard” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #54 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
New York City, New York
“Great location, beautiful courtyard”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Boutique style typical of W Hotels that I love. Stayed 4 nights in room on second floor with balcony opening up to the courtyard. It was quiet, decent sized room. My parents stayed in room next door. The ice maker was on the outside of their wall and it made noise day and night. Upon check in the staff was wonderful, gave us a map and oriented us to city. There is a driver available that will drive you anywhere within two miles, very nice service. We were able to walk to everything in French Quarter. We booked a mini bus tour of city through hotel. Bus picked us up right in front and we enjoyed the tour very much.
We ate dinner, breakfast and sat at the bar in Sobu, service was great, staff friendly and the food was very good. Oyster tacos were delicious, atmosphere was fun. With all the amazing Restraunts in the city, competition is stiff, wasn't our top choice but convenient and interesting dishes.
We had drinks in the courtyard at night and it was magical. The pool also looked inviting.
Before arriving I was emailed asking if they could be of any service setting up activities (this is typical of all W's and one of the reasons I stay in them). I asked for recommendations on local activities, some active and some not so much for parents. I also asked for appointment in spa. I received a reply there is no spa at hotel. I then requested a spa within walking distance for pedicure and massage. I never got another response. Also a few other service related issues that were not up to par of the other W hotels. For example no hot water our first morning that was promtly fixed. Before leaving I contacted the manager and let her know our frustrations. She apologized profusely and gave me equivalent of two night stay in Starwood points. I felt listened to and was happy. I would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Beware of room on second floor, (handicapped accessible). Has ice maker on outside of wall and make...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Hello HLLO -

Thank you for taking the time to share great feedback about your recent stay with us. I'm glad that overall, it sounds like you had a really nice time in New Orleans and you enjoyed our hotel. I'm glad that you tried out SoBou and enjoyed cocktails in our courtyard. I'm sorry for the small mishaps that you experienced with the rooms, but it sounds like we were able to address the issues in a timely manner as to not affect your stay. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to New Orleans. Let us know if there's anything that we can do for you in the meantime.

Best regards,

379 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Wheaton Aston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

This hotel is ideally situated just a short walk from Bourbon Street.That turned out to be great, the area around Bourbon Street also has a lot to offer. This was our first visit to New Orleans and as ever we relied on the hotel concierge for help. The wonderful concierge here was an absolute gem. Nothing seemed too much trouble and her advice was invaluable. in fact the whole team at the hotel were very friendly and helpful. The rooms are quirky and great fun and the hotel restaurant is good. This is the place to stay in NOLA.

Room Tip: Its worth asking for a room at the back of the hotel, they will be a little quieter.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello goldwingbaz -

Thank you for choosing W French Quarter and for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor. Staci, our W Insider, is a great asset to our team and knows all the hot spots in the city. I'm glad to hear that she was so helpful and that you enjoyed her recommendations as well as our property. We can't wait to welcome you back on your next trip to New Orleans so we can show you another great experience!

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Really great boutique feel hotel right in the middle of the French Quarter. Good sized rooms and really cool outside courtyard. The staff were great too. Stayed 4 nights and would definitely come back. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hello nikkimax -

I appreciate hearing the great feedback about your recent stay with us. We love hearing when our guests have such nice things to say about our property and our talent. Thank you for recommending our property to your friends for their New Orleans excursions. We look forward to your return!

Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My best friend and I had the most fabulous time staying at the W French Quarter NOLA in mid January 2013. Our ambassador, Lan tha Man was terrific! He was always pointing us in the direction of sweet spots to grab a bite or just chill and have a drink. If you run into to Lan the Man I'm sure you'll have just as great as time as we did!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Hello R0Zilla -

Thank you for sharing feedback about your recent experience with us. It's great to hear that you enjoyed our property and that our talent made such a great impression on you. We can't wait to welcome you back on your next trip to New Orleans!

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

The staff here was great at check-in and helped us get our bearings in the French Quarter. We stayed in one of the "carriage house" rooms at the back of the courtyard. I highly recommend any of these four rooms...spacious, historic feel, two balconies with french doors, high ceilings - it was great. You may hear your neighbors a bit in one of these rooms if you are sensitive to sound. Overall, great stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Hello Edward H -

Thank you for sharing feedback about your recent stay with us! I have to agree that our carriage house suites are some of the best on the property and offer a more exclusive escape. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. We hope to see you again soon!

Oslo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

The atmosphere in this hotel is unique. Even it is in the middle of French quarter it is very Quite.
Very spacious room, Just 3 minutes walk to Bourbon street which can be a bit crazy, especialy on a friday night.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hello perp1 -

Thank you for writing such a great review of W French Quarter! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we can't wait to see you on your next trip to New Orleans!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Wow – Great job on the total remodel! This hotel was quite amazing. It’s in the French Quarter and I wanted to stay here since on my past few trips it was completely under construction. It didn’t disappoint and neither did the staff. I have checked into some impressive hotels only to have a bad experience because of the interactions with the staff. That’s not the case here. Everyone at the front desk was cheerful, friendly, and helpful. It only added to the excitement of being at this completely remodeled hotel. They now have a spa and there is a pool in the wonderful courtyard. The layout of this hotel is unique and that really adds to the upscale charm.

Upon check in I was upgraded to the studio suite which is just off the courtyard. The room was very cool and unique. However, I soon realized that with the hard wood floors and front and back balcony with French doors, there is no sound protection of any kind. Sitting on the bed I could clearly hear everyone in the courtyard, the music, and the people in the other units around me. I was sad to ask to change rooms but it was a must. As I mentioned the staff kept smiling and swiftly moved me to a room in the main building which was very quiet and enjoyable. The room in the main building had a view of the pool and courtyard and was very quiet.

The restaurant on property was great and I ate dinner there on my first evening. The food was very good and the bartender was entertaining and took pride in whipping up delicious drinks for those that wanted to “try something new.” I ate at the bar which was very nice but was a little disappointed in the slow service.

I’ll be back to New Orleans in March and I have already made my reservation to stay at this hotel again!

I've included pictures of both room types I was in.

Room Tip: Studio Suites are very cool but very noisy
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hello TravelinLeather -

I'm so glad that you were finally able to stay with us on your last trip to New Orleans and that our staff made such a positive lasting impression on you! We appreciate your feedback about the guest rooms and look forward to welcoming you back in March. Let us know if there's anything we can do for you in the meantime by contacting us at wfqcservice@whotels.com. We're here 24/7. No matter what.

James Wroblewski

Been to W New Orleans - French Quarter? Share your experiences!