“A romantic, boutique hotel, very small and tight.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #75 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
New Orleans, Louisiana
“A romantic, boutique hotel, very small and tight.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

The staff was incredibly nice and the rooms are very hip. But the property poses challenges.

The rooms are very small. Some are situated around the pool. First floor courtyard rooms have a front door that opens on the pool and a rear door that opens on private courtyards with private hot tubs. Very romantic. Unfortunately the rooms have no windows other than the two french doors, one on each side, which I found to be quite claustrophobic. There is also no room for a roll-away bed, but the hotel will happily supply you with an air mattress if you need a place for a child. Hm...

Despite the hot tubs, I feel that the upstairs rooms are better choices as they offer more privacy and, realistically, they have windows that look out on the French Quarter. Why stay in the Quarter if you don't have a window? As it was, I had noise from the pool area late into the night.

The workout room is very small and there was no water or emergency phone. Hotel staff were concerned that there was no water. They know that there is no phone; it's on order and isn't expected for some time. I'm unclear why they can't put a temporary phone in the room. This is a safety issue that should be addressed.

The SoBou ("South of Bourbon") restaurant breakfast experience was substandard, with poor service and a continental breakfast that had a stale croissant and boxed cereal. The hotel staff was concerned as well and took note of my comments.

There is no traditional W "Living room" or bar, so much of the W charm was missing.

Internet quite poor — I kept losing connections. And no Internet in the courtyard rooms.

My bathroom door could not lock. It had a lock, but the lock didn't line up with the door jam. The door could NEVER have worked. I wonder why it wasn't noticed when it was installed?

Poor, cramped design of the room itself. Not a single mirror in the room other than the mirrored walls in the bathroom. No place to hang towels except for inside the shower, which presents a problem. There was no desk in my room. NO DESK! There was a counter of sorts, but no place to work (the counter came down too far to put your legs under it), and no chair.

Once again, the staff was exceptionally friendly. Unfortunately, the property itself is lacking.

Recommended for Couples, not for business or family.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the courtyard.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Hello chinny100 -

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I apologize for the challenges that you faced during your stay and appreciate you informing our Welcome Office so that we could address your concerns. We're always making improvements to our facility so we appreciate the constructive feedback from our guests. I hope that you'll consider trying out one of our other spacious rooms next time such as a Mega Room, which offers a different configuration that might better suit your needs. Thank you again!

Best wishes in the new year,
James Wroblewski

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I arrived slightly after midnight, and was greeted immediately with friendly, helpful service.. They immediately took care of my checkin, gave me some suggestions for breakfast, renewed my SPG account, and asked if there was anything else they could help me with..

I was there less than 10 hours, as this was a business trip - but was able to spend some time drinking coffee in the very creative outdoor lounge area - right next to the "wet deck"/pool which was being renovated - to be ready in the next few days.

If I can make it back to New Orleans - I'd definitely stay with The W French Quarter again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hello Chris R -

I know your stay was brief, but thank you for choosing W French Quarter and for taking the time to share your experience with us. I'm glad that everything went so well while you were here and we look forward to welcoming you back for a longer stay next time!

Best wishes in the new year,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for a bowl game and the hotel was great but service was even better. Quentin Scott is the Acura driver and took us to the Superdome!!! He made that experience way more fun than we ever thought. He even went above and beyond when checking by getting our car from valet when it wasn't even his job. The hotel was great and in a perfect location or lots of fun but the service definitely changed the game for us. We will definitely be back and will make sure Quentin is working!

• Stayed December 2012
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Hello Jada811 -

Thank you for taking the time to share your great experience at W French Quarter with us. I'm glad to hear that you not only enjoyed our hotel, but that Quentin really made your stay memorable. Delivering exceptional service is what we strive to do daily and we love hearing accounts of our team members leaving positive lasting impressions on our guests. We can't wait to welcome you back on your next trip.

Port Perry, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

The W New Orleans French Quarter Hotel is truly different than any hotel I have saved at and it's conveniently located only blocks from Bourbon Street. The architecture fits in with the area and the rooms are decorated in a very unique style. The rooms are very clean, the service is excellent which is what I would expect from a premium hotel. My room had it's own balcony which would be nice if I had had more time to enjoy it. Everything is within walking distance of the hotel and there are numerous restaurants, bars, shops and a surprising number of strip clubs especially on Bourbon Street so it may not be the most kid friendly area.

Room Tip: I'd ask if the room has a balcony just to be sure.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hello Grizzly660 -

Thank you for choosing W French Quarter and for sharing your experience with us. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and the hotel. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I spent 5 days at the W French Quarter, the location couldn't have been more perfectly situated. Right in the middle of shops and resturants and walking distance to pretty much everything. I loved the courtyard, the rooms were spacious, very up to date and the Staff were very professional, helpful and made me feel very welcome (Alvin, Natalie, Stacy, Clay and Jaren in particular). They epitomized Southern Charm/hospitality and made my first time in New Orleans very memorable. I'm already planning my trip back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hello Lydia_dIT -

Thank you for choosing W French Quarter for your first trip to New Orleans and for taking the time to share your wonderful experience with us. It sounds like several of our talent members made a great lasting impression on you and you enjoyed the property. I'm glad to hear that you're already planning your second trip! We can't wait to welcome you back.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Went in September with my wife for our 10th Anniversary. The check-in was a disaster, our room wasn't ready, they told us to come back in 2-3 hours, we did and it still wasn't ready. They comped us a lunch and cocktails at SoBou which was nice but we would've preferred to check in. Promised a suite in a few hours, the room still wasn't ready and finally after about 8 hours, we were put in a regular room with the promise of a "suite" the following night(we were staying for 3 nights). While the room turned out not to be a suite, it was better than the first night and I was sick of complaining at that point. Although I made the reservations six months in advance, I understand the staff had little control as rooms were extrememly limited and did what they could do to accomodate us, I feel they should be more forthcoming and managed our expectations a little bit better.

All of that aside, the stay ended up to be great. The accomdations were great, very comfortable. Halbert, the concierge, really helped make our stay special, a great hospitality guy. Daniel was also very polite and knowledgeable about the area and made the ride in the Acura a great tour. Without those two, honestly, I probably wouldn't have ever thought about staying there again. I would most certainly recommend the place and would definitely go back. Hopefully, Halbert and Daniel are still there and maybe they've rubbed off on some of the other staff.

Location is perfect. Also, the bar/restarurant on site was very good and the outdoor courtyard was comfortable and relaxing.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello 7wfp -

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and for choosing to celebrate your 10th Anniversary at W French Quarter. I sincerely apologize for the delay you encountered with your room at check-in as I assure you we try to accommodate all of our guests as quickly as possible. I'm glad to hear that Daniel and Halbert made such positive impressions on you and really turned your experience around. I agree that they're great assets to our team. I look forward to your return so we can show you a flawless experience from start to finish.

Congratulations on your 10th anniversary!

New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We spent three nights at the W Hotel French Quarter. The hotel is a lovely, boutique-y hotel, very well situated within the French Quarter. The hotel is modern yet elegant and the room was large and very comfortable. I would note only three faults.

1. The staff seemed quite unmotivated and lax. For instance, when I asked the front desk for change of a $20 so that I could tip the bellman, the clerk said they don't have any -- and didn't seem to care. Check out was exceedingly slow and there was no sense of urgency whatsoever. BUT I would note that the concierge (Stacey) was exceptionally helpful and went out of her way. (It was odd how they position her at a tiny podium in the corner of the hotel lobby, but she had a smile on her face all the same.)

2. Finally, the lobby is tiny. There is really no indoor space in which to "hang out" as you would expect at a hotel.

3. The gym is tiny, has very little equipment and is cramped.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Hello NYinTransit -

Thank you for choosing W French Quarter on your recent trip to New Orleans and for taking the time to share your experience with us. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your guest room and that Staci was so helpful. I apologize for the lapse in service that you received upon check-in and check-out. I assure you that's not the level of service we are capable of providing. Because our property is a small, boutique hotel, some of our spaces like our Living Room are a little smaller than what you'd find in larger hotel; however, we have a beautiful outdoor courtyard that our guests love to relax and hang out in. I hope you were able to take advantage of the space while you were with us. We'd love to welcome you back on your next trip to New Orleans so we can show you the level of service you deserve. Thank you again for your feedback.

James Wroblewski

Been to W New Orleans - French Quarter? Share your experiences!