“Unique Hotel Experience in Famous French Quarter in New Orleans” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Cyber Monday Exclusive
Ranked #73 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Port Perry, Canada
“Unique Hotel Experience in Famous French Quarter in New Orleans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

The W New Orleans French Quarter Hotel is truly different than any hotel I have saved at and it's conveniently located only blocks from Bourbon Street. The architecture fits in with the area and the rooms are decorated in a very unique style. The rooms are very clean, the service is excellent which is what I would expect from a premium hotel. My room had it's own balcony which would be nice if I had had more time to enjoy it. Everything is within walking distance of the hotel and there are numerous restaurants, bars, shops and a surprising number of strip clubs especially on Bourbon Street so it may not be the most kid friendly area.

Room Tip: I'd ask if the room has a balcony just to be sure.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Hello Grizzly660 -

Thank you for choosing W French Quarter and for sharing your experience with us. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and the hotel. We look forward to your next stay with us!

James Wroblewski

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I spent 5 days at the W French Quarter, the location couldn't have been more perfectly situated. Right in the middle of shops and resturants and walking distance to pretty much everything. I loved the courtyard, the rooms were spacious, very up to date and the Staff were very professional, helpful and made me feel very welcome (Alvin, Natalie, Stacy, Clay and Jaren in particular). They epitomized Southern Charm/hospitality and made my first time in New Orleans very memorable. I'm already planning my trip back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hello Lydia_dIT -

Thank you for choosing W French Quarter for your first trip to New Orleans and for taking the time to share your wonderful experience with us. It sounds like several of our talent members made a great lasting impression on you and you enjoyed the property. I'm glad to hear that you're already planning your second trip! We can't wait to welcome you back.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Went in September with my wife for our 10th Anniversary. The check-in was a disaster, our room wasn't ready, they told us to come back in 2-3 hours, we did and it still wasn't ready. They comped us a lunch and cocktails at SoBou which was nice but we would've preferred to check in. Promised a suite in a few hours, the room still wasn't ready and finally after about 8 hours, we were put in a regular room with the promise of a "suite" the following night(we were staying for 3 nights). While the room turned out not to be a suite, it was better than the first night and I was sick of complaining at that point. Although I made the reservations six months in advance, I understand the staff had little control as rooms were extrememly limited and did what they could do to accomodate us, I feel they should be more forthcoming and managed our expectations a little bit better.

All of that aside, the stay ended up to be great. The accomdations were great, very comfortable. Halbert, the concierge, really helped make our stay special, a great hospitality guy. Daniel was also very polite and knowledgeable about the area and made the ride in the Acura a great tour. Without those two, honestly, I probably wouldn't have ever thought about staying there again. I would most certainly recommend the place and would definitely go back. Hopefully, Halbert and Daniel are still there and maybe they've rubbed off on some of the other staff.

Location is perfect. Also, the bar/restarurant on site was very good and the outdoor courtyard was comfortable and relaxing.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello 7wfp -

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and for choosing to celebrate your 10th Anniversary at W French Quarter. I sincerely apologize for the delay you encountered with your room at check-in as I assure you we try to accommodate all of our guests as quickly as possible. I'm glad to hear that Daniel and Halbert made such positive impressions on you and really turned your experience around. I agree that they're great assets to our team. I look forward to your return so we can show you a flawless experience from start to finish.

Congratulations on your 10th anniversary!

New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We spent three nights at the W Hotel French Quarter. The hotel is a lovely, boutique-y hotel, very well situated within the French Quarter. The hotel is modern yet elegant and the room was large and very comfortable. I would note only three faults.

1. The staff seemed quite unmotivated and lax. For instance, when I asked the front desk for change of a $20 so that I could tip the bellman, the clerk said they don't have any -- and didn't seem to care. Check out was exceedingly slow and there was no sense of urgency whatsoever. BUT I would note that the concierge (Stacey) was exceptionally helpful and went out of her way. (It was odd how they position her at a tiny podium in the corner of the hotel lobby, but she had a smile on her face all the same.)

2. Finally, the lobby is tiny. There is really no indoor space in which to "hang out" as you would expect at a hotel.

3. The gym is tiny, has very little equipment and is cramped.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Hello NYinTransit -

Thank you for choosing W French Quarter on your recent trip to New Orleans and for taking the time to share your experience with us. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your guest room and that Staci was so helpful. I apologize for the lapse in service that you received upon check-in and check-out. I assure you that's not the level of service we are capable of providing. Because our property is a small, boutique hotel, some of our spaces like our Living Room are a little smaller than what you'd find in larger hotel; however, we have a beautiful outdoor courtyard that our guests love to relax and hang out in. I hope you were able to take advantage of the space while you were with us. We'd love to welcome you back on your next trip to New Orleans so we can show you the level of service you deserve. Thank you again for your feedback.

Charleston, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed here several times over the past few years and really like the new renovation! My bed was situated in the middle of a trumpet mural, and the bathroom was colorful and modern. You can't beat the location! I had a nice room with a balcony and really enjoyed being Abe to enjoy the fresh air. The staff was wonderful, and I'm looking forward to my next stay!

• Stayed November 2012
Hello MJ-Charleston-SC -

Thank you for being a loyal patron to W French Quarter and for taking the time to share such nice compliments about our property. I'm glad that your guest room suited your needs and offered the comfortable stay you deserve. We can't wait to welcome you back on your next trip to New Orleans!

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Great location but everything else fell short.

There were so many small things wrong with this hotel.

1. The doors slam shut so loud that in the morning and late at night you hear are doors slamming shut. Why don't they fix this? It is so obvious and we can not be the first to complain.

2. Little details were missed in the construction. The toilet paper bar faces the wrong direction so when you pull on the roll it falls off the bar. There were many other little things that made it apparent they really rushed the construction.

3. There is not enough seating in the bar. Every night the bar was full and we had to sit at a large communal table. Unless you flag down a server from the dining room there was no bar server. New Orleans has some of the best friendly service, not here. The bartenders were out to lunch and seemed more into talking with their friends at the bar.

On a positive note the concierge was spectacular. She was one of the best I have ever worked with and went our of her way to make sure we had an amazing time. I think they should promote her to GM.

Go for the location, not much else.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hello RSKI213 -

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay with us and for the kind words you passed along about Staci, our Insider. I agree that she is an asset to our team and consistently makes a positive impression on our guests. I'm sorry for the issues that you faced with your guest room and with the bar. We are always looking for ways to improve not only our service but maintenance issues as well, so I appreciate the comments. If there's anything we can do for you now or in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us at wfqcservice@whotels.com. I hope that you'll consider staying with us again in the future so we can show you exceptional service all around.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

I had the pleasure of staying at the W French Quarter in September 2012. I had previously stayed at the W on Poydras St., and felt the hotel tarnished the W and Starwood name in New Orleans -- it was really the pits. However, the newly renovated French Quarter location is exactly what we loyal SPG guests expect from a W: swanky, minimalist, and unique. The blend of modern W style with historic FQ architecture is very well done.

As an SPG loyalist, I usually favor Westins or LeMeridiens because I don't care for the haughty staff W's are sometimes known for. I can happily report that this is not the case at the FQ W. The staff were very down to earth. In particular, we were impressed with Trey, the restaurant manager. We ran into him in the elevator while he was delivering room service. He struck up a conversation asking about our trip. We thought it was very kind for a room service waiter to be so hospitable. When we discovered he was the restaurant manager, we thought he was down right humble (for W staff) personally delivering some lucky guests' lunch.

The only reason I leave off one star is because the room upgrade for SPG platinum wasn't much to shout about. We were technically moved to a larger room, but that meant we were on the top floor in what felt like the rafters -- not a swanky top floor penthouse by any means. And thought it may have been slightly larger than other rooms, it was not large at all. A nice substitute for that would have been a free welcome cocktail or some other treat. The room upgrade just didn't seem that special.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Kevin R -

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at W French Quarter and that our hotel and our staff met your expectations. I agree that everyone here is very down-to-earth with southern charm including Trey. I apologize that the room upgrade wasn't quite what you were hoping for and I do appreciate your suggestions to accommodate our guests who are looking for a little something more. I hope that we can welcome you back on your next trip to New Orleans.

James Wroblewski

Been to W New Orleans - French Quarter? Share your experiences!