“NOLA 11/12” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #55 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
San Clemente, California
“NOLA 11/12”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

The location and staff were excellent. The staff was friendly and helpful. It was nice having a bar and restaurant,SoBou, in the hotel. The only drawback was the size of the room. Other than the bed, which was excellent. the only other furniture was a desk chair. A special thanks to Halbert his recomendations were spot on.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Hello Lee H -

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to New Orleans. We appreciate your feedback and I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the restaurant. Halbert usually does make great recommendations. We can't wait to welcome you back on your next trip to New Orleans.

363 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Olympia, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

The W's location is perfect for seeing the sites in the French Quarter and surrounding areas. You can walk anywhere safely, and much more easily than driving. All of the staff was super friendly and engaging, and provided us with great referrals for food and music. The pool and courtyard are are very nice. We rate three stars only because the decor was a little too small and "hip" for us and not very traditional. Way too much going on in the room and we couldn't figure out what the theme was supposed to be. The bathroom was very small, without even towel bars. It was a bit awkward to move around. We used our Starwood points for our 2-night stay, and the point rate was very high compared to the other Starwood venues. We felt the cost, even though free for us, was not worth the accomodations, and we will stay somewhere else next time. Otherwise the property was very clean, great staff and location.

Room Tip: Our room faced the street and was fairly quiet, with windows closed, except when the bars closed, wh...
Hello Travbug98501 -

Thank you for choosing to use your Starwood points at W French Quarter and for taking the time to share your feedback about our property and the location. Our new redesign highlights cultural elements important to the city of New Orleans - jazz and voodoo. All of our guest rooms are in either a jazz design or a tarot card design. I'm glad that overall, you enjoyed your experience with us and again, appreciate your thoughts.

Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

My husband and I attended a wedding in October and stayed at the W for 3 days. The hotel was super clean and the rooms were recently updated. The staff was very attentive and polite. I loved the court yard area. It was very relaxing and it was a great spot to hang out with all of our family that was also staying in the hotel. You are right in the middle of everything, too, which was great! I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hello Kelli M -

Thank you for choosing to stay at W French Quarter on your recent trip to New Orleans and for posting a great review of our property. I'm glad that your family enjoyed our hotel and courtyard as well and look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip!

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

A very nice boutique hotel - not too big. It has a beautiful courtyard in the back and after a day of walking and touring, it is a quiet and relaxing place to go. Located in the heart of the French Quarter and we could walk to the SuperDome for the game. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. I agree with other reviewers about the adjoining restaurant, SoBou. We ate there numerous times because it was excellent.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hello TravelTravel07 -

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review of W French Quarter and SoBou. We appreciate the feedback and look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to New Orleans.

New Orleans, LA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Booked a Studio Suite at the W French Quarter for a two night special celebration in mid-November.

The positives:
•The bed was ultra-comfortable, but that is exactly what you should expect from The W’s signature beds.
•The location is great. Easy walk to anywhere in the Quarter you would like to go.
•The room was well appointed and esthetically pleasing, the hotel is hip and modern.
•Valet car service was wonderful and definitely worth the parking fee if you want to be mobile in New Orleans.

The negatives:
•I booked what was billed to be the most premier room in the place, The Studio Suite. Called the hotel directly and was transferred to In-House Reservations. Multiple issues occurred based on this conversation:
o The In-House Reservationist that I talked to is not known to the front desk manager at the hotel. Therefore, she was unable to accommodate any of my requests.
o Directly from the room description, “Take a dip in your personal Jacuzzi, sample the signature W amenities and settle in for a customized stay.” I asked to ensure that I would be getting those things. The In-House Reservationist stated that I surely would, and even told me about how exclusive these rooms are (stated there were only four in the hotel, etc). Room was a second floor walk-up with balcony. No Jacuzzi, and I was told that this request could not be accommodated. In addition, that the Jacuzzi suites are “$100 more a night”.
o I advised the In-House Reservationist that I would be arriving in town rather early, and would like the reservation noted for early check-in if possible (I also noted this on the original reservation, which I know is a request and not a guarantee). Upon arrival was advised that room was not ready, which was okay. They took my cell number to call me when it was, they did but even then, it was after normal check-in time of 3PM before the room was ready.

•The Suite was pretty, but not what I would have expected based on the description and had technical issues that were rather annoying.
o The French doors are classic and probably some type of original to the carriage house, but they are very drafty. In addition, there are three locks on each door, which I found a little tedious and odd. The front set overlooks the pool/ courtyard area, second leads to a private balcony that faces the property on the block behind.
o There was surely no shortage of hot water in the shower, actually quite the opposite. It would appear that the control knob did not work properly, or the cold water supply is not completely on.
o The desk/ work area is nice and shiny white. There is a weird shelf/ cabinet that has a coffee pot in it. There is a magnetic catch on it, but it is not a strong magnet. Any time you sat something on the counter the door popped open and fell. The door is heavy, and the hinges did not support this so the door broke.

•The hotel team that we encountered were not what I would say is Whatever/ Whenever mentality.
o As addressed above, checking into the hotel took a much different turn than what I am accustomed to. Advised upon arrival that room was not ready, which was understandable. The desk agent was polite and courteous, but advised that it was not noted on the reservation.
o After 3PM, we went to our assigned room and I was shocked that it was not what was described or what I had requested. I called the front desk and advised that my reservation was for a Studio Suite, and that I had spoken with the In-House Reservation team concerning my reservation requests. The desk agent stated that she did not see any of the notes and that she did not know the person I had spoken to. This agent then came to my room and got the papers that I had in regards to my reservation.
o This was followed by a call from the front-desk manager who advised that she did not have any of the notes either, and that they could not accommodate my requests as someone had already checked into the only possible suite. I advised her I was not happy with what I had as we could hear children screaming and that this is not what I had requested or would settle for. Her solution was to send loss prevention to stop the kids and a credit of $150.
o Whatever/ Whenever is not really so. After arrival we asked the Whatever/ Whenever team if she could make us a reservation for NOLA for that night. She advised that she could not, but that we could go there and that they opened at 5:30 for dinner and see if they could get us a table. She did not even try Open Table to see if we could get in, and they do not open until 6PM.
o The Acura service provided by the hotel has very limited hours.

•I would not recommend this hotel if you like to sleep past 7:30AM, like peaceful quiet, or are looking for a quiet escape.
o The exhaust fan in the bath is VERY loud. Can’t imagine a smaller room and that sound.
o I love southern rain, but the downspout on the back corner of the suite is not attached or something. Constant rain/ water on metal noise that was not the good kind.
o The noise from the courtyard was pretty constant. People talking, kids in the pool, etc. This probably has something to do with the drafty French doors.
o If you want to sleep past 7:30AM or so make sure you request a room that is NOT above the courtyard. At 7:40AM I could have had a sing-a-long with Florence and Fun.

When we checked out the desk agent asked about our stay, honestly we told her we weren’t impressed. She stated she would have James call, but we still have not heard from anyone.

In conclusion, esthetically the room and hotel are beautiful; however, these positives in no way make up for the staffing and technical issues.

Room Tip: If you are set on staying at this hotel do yourself a favor and book a Wonderful or Spectacular Room...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Hello NOLATraveler9 -

Thank you again for providing so much detail about your recent stay with us. I'm truly sorry for the communication issues during the reservation process and for the inconveniences you faced during your stay as this is not the type of experience we strive to provide to our guests. I apologize the room that you received was not what you were expecting and that the room you wanted was unavailable at the time of your arrival. We appreciate the feedback as it helps us to improve the level of service and identify areas for improvement. If you can email me at wfqcservice@whotels.com, I'd love to follow up with you directly as promised to see how we can make this right.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The location of the hotel is great. My (Fabulous) room was small, but opened up to a charming street and was quiet and comfortable in the evenings. The staff and adjoining restaurant, SoBou, more than made up for the small room. Ariel at the front desk was always pleasant and very helpful. The food at SoBou amazing- Abigail, the bartender is truly fabulous. She makes an amazing sherry cocktail, I'm sure to try again on my next visit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Hello alanyc_12 -

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. I'll pass along the compliments to Ariel and Abigail and we look forward to welcoming you back to W French Quarter and SoBou on your next trip to New Orleans. It's great to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay. We'll make sure to have that sherry cocktail ready for you!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel with my partner. We have stayed in tons of W's and loved them over the years but lately we have had issues. They try too hard to be hip at the expense of functionality. Examples at this hotel: Cool, not fully opaque glass door/wall separates guest room from bathroom. Great if you are staying there alone, but not so great if you are with someone else (we have experienced similar issues at the W Chicago (loop) and the W in London). Who wants to look at someone's clear silhouette on the toilet, or be visible like that when using it or other parts of the bathroom? Also the way the toilet paper holder was designed, trying to get paper off it caused the roll of toilet paper to fall on the floor every time!

Also, there's this strange convex mirror that covers the TV that you have to slide out of the way to watch the TV. When you do that, however, it takes up a large percentage of the desk space! Plus, who wants to sit at a desk with this huge convex mirror in front of you? It also makes you move the lamp and phone to make room for it, which creates other issues. You would have thought these issues would have been apparent to whoever designed the rooms. Also, the tracks that the mirror runs across are an eyesore when it's pushed away from the TV.

All of that said, the location is great. It was pretty quiet given it's two blocks from Bourbon St. We had no service issues; the staff was friendly and helpful. It was comfortable. I'd probably stay here again if I was alone, but not if I was traveling with someone.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
WFrenchQuarter, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Hello dblackdc -

Thank you for staying at W French Quarter and for taking the time to post feedback about your experience. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy the new room design, but am glad that you received great service and enjoyed the location. Next time, you should try out one of our Studio Suites as the bathroom design is a little different and might be a better fit. I hope to welcome you back in the future as we appreciate your business. Let us know if we can do anything for you in the meantime at wfqcservice@whotels.com. We're here 24/7.

James Wroblewski

Been to W New Orleans - French Quarter? Share your experiences!