“Nice place to stay, tough to sleep” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Le Marais

You added Hotel Le Marais to your Saves list
Hotel Le Marais
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   717 Conti Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
10% off our best rates!
Ranked #3 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
“Nice place to stay, tough to sleep”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

At first glance this place seems terrific. Then you start noticing the problems. It's in a good place, but really close to bourbon st. The rooms are nice, but the shower heads are built for a 5'8" individual. The floor gets wet due to an open design which makes everything terribly slippery. The staff is great, breakfast is nice, courtyard is very nice. Pool is basically a very large hot tub. My big gripe however is the noise. Don't get a room anywhere near the elevators!!! You hear every beep, buzz, door closing, and cleaning staff movement. I also stayed at omni royal. That was a much more enjoyable experience.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
Glastonbury, CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

We came for jazz fest and a conference and stayed at the omni royal for the first 5 nights but then I had us booked here for the last 2 because of the awesome trip advisor ratings- big mistake. Our first room was 402 - directly by the elevator and it was a constant stream of guests or extremely loud staff at all hours of the night. We had a great time in New Orleans and made the most of our trip. The first night we stayed here we got back to the hotel around midnight and really just wanted to sleep - unfortunately the walls may just as well have been sheets. In the morning we went down and really had a lovely breakfast and asked to change our room. Daniella was great and accommodated our request without hesitation to room 310- unfortunately instead of elevator noise and traffic we now had the worlds loudest ice machine and and air conditioning unit/freight train to keep us company. We will DEFINITELY be back to this city but we will not stay here again

Point Pleasant, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

This hotel was fine, but nothing special. I had seen that this was the top hotel on TripAdvisor, and I booked it. I booked way in advance because I knew I would be travelling before and during Jazz Fest, and the rate was good. However, service seems to be slipping.

I was there for 9 nights from 4/20 to 4/29. Housekeeping was very hit or miss. Often we got back to our room after a full day of touring and our room was dirty. I went down to the front desk on two separate occasions, because when we returned to the room after 4pm the room was still not serviced. The front desk told us that we "must not have put our housekeeping light on." UMM, no. We very deliberately put our housekeeping light on, but we were still not serviced. I did not appreciate the fact that they tried to blame the lack of service on the client. The new Housekeeping buttons my be knew to YOU, but they are something I have used before. Plus, I am not a dummy, like your front desk staff implied. One day, we got back to our room to relax, and they didn't come to clean our room until 5pm. We were totally spent after a full day, but we had to sit in the lobby until almost 6pm waiting for our room to be cleaned.
In terms of housekeeping, every day was different. Some days we got 3 bath towels, some days 4. Some days we got 7 face towels (Yes, 7 face towels), and no wash cloths. One day we got one wash cloth, and 4 hand towels. There were multiple days when we never received any floor mats for the shower. We had to bundle up old hand towels to replace the floor towels. Ridiculous!!!

We were in room 302, caddy corner to the housekeeping closet, and right across from the elevator. The housekeepers were not subtle, and we often heard the housekeepers slamming their equipment into our door. No respect for the clients on the floor at all.

Breakfast was OK. Ana who worked the breakfast buffet was lovely. Ashley, who worked there at the same time was one of the singly nasty people I met in the entire city.

The front desk staff, with the exception of Daniella, was completely devoid of any personality at all. Bland, boring, and ineffective.

This hotel has been #1 for a long time, but I don't think they will sustain this rating for long, because, obviously things have changed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
druglas, General Manager at Hotel Le Marais, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
I am very stunt to hear that you had so many problems during your stay. I have shared this review with our houskeeping, breakfast and front desk department to prevent such problems from happening again. I have to agree with you as your room should have been cleaned earlier than 5 p.m. and the front desk shouldn't have giving you an excuse and instead send someone to clean your room. I hope that this inconvenience doesn't keep you from giving Hotel le marais another chance. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us.
delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Just returned from New Orleans after spending two nights at Hotel Le Marais. The hotel is in a great location, easy access to the French quarter and French market. Our room was great, very, very comfortable king bed, with courtyard view. The room is modern in appearance and has a large flat screen tv. The bottles of water, drink tickets, wifi, and bathrobe are included. Nice quiet bar to relax at. Our room was quiet at night. The courtyard is beautiful and relaxing. We really enjoyed the heated salt water pool, which felt great on our legs and feet after walking around the city. We only had breakfast During our stay. There were plenty of choices, muffins, bagels, fruit, yogurt, cereal, bacon, hard boiled eggs, coffee, teas, etc. The staff was always friendly and helpful. We loved our stay there.

PROBLEM:
Our flight was scheduled for 6 a.m. We requested a wake up call for 4 a.m. And taxi for 4:30 a.m. When we came down by 4:30 a.m., there was nobody at the desk and no taxi. After a few minutes, the night clerk came in the door, saying our taxi didn't show up and he was out looking for a taxi for us! He ran back out again, and then came back a few minutes later and tried to call the taxi he had ordered, with no answer. He went back out looking again. We tried to call a few taxis, but were put on hold or no answer. Finally at 4:55 a.m., after stopping to talk to the night clerk down the street, a taxi went by slowly and stopped when my husband waved him down. While driving to the airport, he told us the reason the clerk could not get a taxi was that the hotel charges the taxi drivers $5 to pick up a fare from them, so most of the taxis won't come there. (Not sure if that is legal.) He said the only reason he stopped was because my husband waved him down. Fortunately, we made our flight, running to the plane after a long security line, being one of the last ones to board the plane.

Now we aren't sure if we would stay there again. I guess we would have to reserve our own taxi. Also, another concern was that the doors that were supposed to be locked during the night, were open, when we came down to the lobby. That was because the desk clerk was out running around trying to find us a taxi. We have to give him credit for trying hard to get a taxi, but it almost cost us a flight! Not a nice way to start our trip home!

Room Tip: We asked for a courtyard view room away from the elevators. It was very comfortable and quiet. Would...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
QUEENS ,NEW YORK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed with a group of friends. The location is awesome center of everything and near all without the noise. The pool area was terrific. We tanned every morning of our stay. Breakfast in the morning was a great touch. The staff was so helpful and inviting. Pierre at the front desk is fab. He is hysterical and gave us such good advice on places to go. At night we needed tea and the gentleman at the front desk was so accommodating. We couldnt ask for more. Cant wait to go back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed three nights at the Hotel Le Marais and had a wonderful time. Despite being 1/2 block from bourbon street, the hotel was quiet, relaxing, and clean. Service was great throughout our stay, especially the valet service. One definite perk of the hotel is the two free drinks with every stay and free breakfast. A recurring complaint on tripadvisor and overheard while we were there is lack of room housekeeping. One possible explanation for this is the new-to-us system of a pushbutton requesting "Do Not Disturb" or "Housekeeping Needed". If one forgot to turn off the "Do Not Disurb" button, housekeeping would not know to service that room. Would recommend, would return.

WHITBY ONTARIO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

First timers road trip to New Orleans

We decided to drive to New Orleans almost on a whim, I had 2 weeks off at the end of April, my wife just got a new car in December & she said “Let’s go to New Orleans”. In January I started the research (obsessing, DW calls it), mostly here on TA. I read the forums almost daily & soon discovered the Jazz festival would be on while we were in town.

After some initial sticker shock @ hotel prices I decided to treat ourselves to a nice hotel in the French Quarter. I settled on the Le Marais , rated #1 on TA. I had a great deal of difficulty actually making the reservation as the hotel website did not work, the 1-800 # did not work (maybe b/c I was calling from Canada?) and the “contact us “ message box on the website got an acknowledgement of receiving my message, but no reply ever came. I finally gave up & called directly, was put through to reservations & no one answered! A second call got the front desk to answer my queries about price & availability & initially I just booked Weds & Thursday due to price & availability.
I got a confirmatory e-mail, but when I replied with some questions, it bounced with some message about too many forwards & something about an e-mail loop.
A few days later on the TA hotel review page for Le Marais, someone else complained about the difficulties contacting the hotel & Ms Ruglas replied. I got her e-mail & outlined my above difficulties. She was appropriately apologetic & said she would look into the issues. I replied to her that we had been offered a choice of courtyard or street side balcony, & initially I said it didn’t matter, but after speaking with DW, we would prefer a courtyard balcony. She replied that none were available at present, but she would keep an eye on our request if anything came up in the next couple of months.
After continued reading on the forums I decided we needed more than 2 nights in town, esp if we were going to attend jazz fest Fri. I wound up booking Fri night in the Hilton Garden inn by the convention centre as there was little availability elsewhere for < $300.
When we finally arrived, check in was pretty easy, the bellman took our car & brought our luggage in. We were assigned a room on the first floor, up a flight of stairs & I wound up carrying most of the luggage up the stairs as the bellman had a pronounced limp. When we got to the room it was a nice king suite, but the first thing I noticed; no balcony. I phoned the front desk immediately and said we had been promised a balcony room I was told “That was a *request*, you booked a king superior & that’s the only one available, a balcony room should be available tomorrow”

Well, no, it wasn’t a request I was told we were getting a balcony room, the only request was for courtyard vs street side This issue had a bearing on my next sore spot, b/c we had no balcony, I went down to the courtyard @ midnight to smoke a cigar. I opened the closed door to the courtyard & stepped out to light my cigar when the night person on duty came out & told me I couldn’t be there as it was closed after the bar shut down (by midnight?!) When I calmly said I paid a lot of money for my room & why couldn’t I sit in the courtyard & smoke my cigar, I was told in a patronizing tone “because it’s closed”. Nice. So I had to go stand on the street out front next to the big pile of garbage from the restaurant next door.

Normally these issues wouldn’t be such a big deal, but when you drive 4 days to get somewhere & then pay north of $600 with parking & tax for 2 nights, you expect everything to be perfect. It wasn’t.

The next day we were out & about all day &didn’t have time hang around our room dealing with changing rooms, & nobody from the front desk contacted us in any case.

Also, as there was no food or room service available other than the standard steamer dish hotel breakfast, a mini-fridge/ microwave like those we found in virtually every other hotel on the trip would have been handy.
It was a nice place overall, but with the price we paid, these 2 issues left a bad taste, so I would probably stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Le Marais? Share your experiences!