“Excellent Boutique Hotel!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Le Marais

You added Hotel Le Marais to your Saves list
Hotel Le Marais
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   717 Conti Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
10% Off & Free Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Tucson, Arizona
“Excellent Boutique Hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

We loved this place! Clearly they've done a lot of work since November 2010, as reviews dramatically improved after the remodel. The staff was so friendly, the common spaces are cute & hip, the free WiFi was a major perk, as was the location...right next to Bourbon St., but quiet enough to sleep through the night. And the beds--they could sell them to guests like the Westin does. That bed was so comfortable! The room wasn't huge, but who spends all their time in their hotel room? We really loved this place, it's cute back patio by the pool, the small bar inside that is open afternoons/evenings, and the great service. This is a real gem in the French Quarter.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (517)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

Excellent all around! Highlights incl. superb location, super comfortable beds, FREE and tasty continental breakfast, great service, attractive decor, etc...I could keep going on and on! This is a great hotel!!!!!!

I was a little apprehensive if we would have our room according to plan because of some of the reviews as of late. But have no fear all was WONDERFUL and PERFECT during my recent stay.

I called the hotel a couple days ahead to verify my confirmation and that I would in fact have a room, particularly because of some of the reviews that I read that said there were overbooking issues. The hotel staff assured me that my room was secured for the weekend, even during the busy Jazz Fast Weekend!

We arrived on Saturday morning all was great! We got our room and everything was perfect. AMAZINGLY comfortable beds, super clean room. The FREE continental breakfast at the hotel is awesome too! Who doesn't love a good continental breakfast and again it's FREE!!!!

This hotel is located in the heart of it all! Even though you're only a block off of Bourbon St. it's a boutique hotel sanctuary! The evenings were quiet and it was very easy to get to sleep at night. And if you want to go out for a night on the town on Bourbon St. you're just steps away! It's amazing! Or escape to the beauty and art of Royal St. which is only a block away too.

It's simply perfect! I can't imagine not staying here again! I've stayed at two other hotels in the French Quarter and this will now be my GO-TO spot!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Marais for 6 nites on our yearly visit to NO.
The hotel is totally redone - like new. The location can't be beat.
Service was great. Rooms were fine and the price was very reasonable.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay here. Our rooms were fabulous and clean. The guys on front desk, especially Pierre and Baron were extremey helpful. Great continental breakfast. Excellent business Centre. We enjoyed the open courtyard in the evenings when we came in and the drinks were yummy. Try the Plum Martinis! Decor was very arty and tasteful. We went to the live jazz in the hotel across the street at night and it was very good. Bourbon Street was awful, but we still managed to find some little gems. Oceana Restaurant beside the hotel had some of the best food in town.

Room Tip: We had room 508 and it was quiet .
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

After reading all the bad reviews about this hotel, it was apparent that the bad reviews were all based on the hotel's booking system. We were as with any of the previous/future guests would be, a little concerned about this and did not want to be bumped/moved to another hotel, so we rang the hotel and they reassured us that this would not be the case.

When we arrived and we checked in, we were relieved to find that after a 11 hour flight that yes we did have a room. The guy who checked us in - was as laid back as you could imagine - not very welcoming at all (Saturday 16th April 2010). In saying that there was a couple of others there throughout our stay on the front desk which were very friendly and welcoming - esp the guy who organised our taxi to the airport, sorry forget your name.

The hotel itself was very well located especially to all the tourists sites and the facilities were very modern. Other positives for this hotel is the bed - very comfy, big flatscreen tv, free wifi and lovely towels.

Housekeeping was erratic. Meaning that on the Sunday, they did not arrive to do our room until 5pm, which was inconvenient so we told them that we didn't need our room done. When it was done on the Monday - they didn't clean the toilet and provide us with fresh toiletries . The young guy who does the hallway hoovering is very friendly, I hasten to mention. He always had a smile. Which is nice.

Overall, its a new hotel with a great location and I am sure when they sort out all the kinks that come with running a new hotel it will rate higher than it does now.

Room Tip: Rooms furtherest away from lifts
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
druglas, Front Office Manager at Hotel Le Marais, responded to this review, April 27, 2011
Dear NZersabroadLondon,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience to Hotel Le Marais. As we are constantly trying to provide the best in accommodation and service, we were very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon; until then, we remain at your service.
We are pleased to know that Hotel Le Marais exceeded your expectations. Our staff is very happy and grateful for your comments.
Pasadena
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

In January of this year my wife and I made reservations at The Hotel Le Marais in order to insure that we would have a nice place to stay for our 40th anniversary that we planned to celebrate in New Orleans. Expedia confirmed our reservations on two occasions prior to our April departure. On April 6, the night before we were to leave for New Orleans we received an email at 8:00pm (or flight was scheduled to leave at 8:00am the following morning). To quote the email, “ Unfortunately we are unable to accept your reservation for the Hotel Le Marais for your stay (which we had made and was confirmed 4 months prior) . However, the hotel has made alternate accommodations for you.”

In a panic we researched the “alternate accommodations.” The “alternate” hotel was 35 miles outside of New Orleans and had multiple reviews to the effect of “Don’t stay here unless you like bed bugs, cockroaches, and drug deals in the parking lot.” After spending two hours on the phone with Expedia (which we will never use again) it became clear that there were no accommodations available at the last minute in New Orleans due to the popularity of the very festival that we had planned to attend.

That ended our long awaited 40th anniversary celebration. In addition we lost our non-refundable $800.00 airfare. As a result I strongly suggest that if you are planning a trip to New Orleans, avoid The Hotel Le Marais (if you actually want to have a room when you arrive) and stay away from Expedia and hotels.com as they “have no control” as to whether the hotel reservations that you made with them, and that they confirmed, will actually have a room available once you arrive – or as in our case, hours before you leave for the airport.

Dear ldgertz,

We cannot express our apologies and regret enough. We made every effort to relocate guests to the best Hotels around New Orleans in order to minimize the inconvenience. However, as New Orleans was generally all booked up we had to send guests to properties that turned out to be disappointing and for that we are very sorry. We cannot turn time back. What we have done is assure the proper mechanisms are in place to prevent reoccurrence. Please accept my most sincere apology and hope you give Hotel Le Marais a chance to show you how important our guests are at our hotel. We pray that this isolated, single out incident, will not tarnish the otherwise impeccable reputation our Hotel has been enjoying.
Kind Regards,
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

I had read all the reviews before I chose to book this location, the first few were great and than came the bad reviews about overbooking. I contacted the hotel directly and asked if I was confirmed to which I was told yes, and I asked if all the reviews about overbookings were true. I believe the answer I was given was honest, which was, "we are aware of the reviews on trip advisor and we did have to walk people due to overbookings in March and early April. This was due to a computer glitch that we now have in order, and we are happy to report that for future dates there will not be this issue."
I thought to myself that is all well and good, and I hoped it was true but I reserved relief for until we got there and were checked in.

We arrived on a Friday and everything was in order, there were other people being checked in as well with no issues. The hotel was lovely, free breakfast, a great courtyard and a very nice staff. I would stay here in a heart beat. I believe that they have fixed whatever issue was occurring. This is just my two cents but my friends and I really liked this hotel and highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Dear LondonMidnight,

It is with great pleasure and satisfaction that we read your comments following your recent stay in our hotel. Thank you for sharing your experience with details, which will be helpful to future clients. We have read your very kind comments with great appreciation and satisfaction.
We are pleased that we were able to offer you an exceptional experience. Your feedback is a motivation for all our employees to keep up the good work. Thank you once again and we´re looking forward to welcome you again at Hotel Le Marais.

Been to Hotel Le Marais? Share your experiences!