“Could be great, but needs a little more time to mature” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Le Marais

You added Hotel Le Marais to your Saves list
Hotel Le Marais
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   717 Conti Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
10% Off & Free Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Springfield, Massachusetts
“Could be great, but needs a little more time to mature”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

Overall, in terms of quality, we were very happy with Hotel Le Marais. The hotel was very clean, very new, and very comfortable. However, we did have an experience that prevents us from giving the hotel 5 stars. The hotel was overbooked by the time we checked in and half of our party (of 7) had to stay at a hotel four blocks away, and while I give them the benefit of the doubt that it was because we booked on a travel site that oversold the hotel, there were a few details that should have prevented this from happening to our party. First, half of our party, including the one whose name the reservation was under, had spent the previous night at the hotel and informed them that they were there for BOTH room reservations. Next we had tried to check in 2 times prior to check in time, but both times were told that rooms were not yet available. When we finally did get to check in, two hours after check in time, we were told there were no rooms. Given that they CLEARLY had notice we were there, it was utterly frustrating that they didn't have a room for the rest of the group and we had to be split up. However, the hotel acknowledged that they should have reserved a room for us and ended up paying our cab fare to the new hotel (which was very nice) and comping us the one night's stay. Because the hotel was able to acknowledge their mistake and handle the situation very well, and because it was otherwise very nice, we do recommend it.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
druglas, Front Office Manager at Hotel Le Marais, responded to this review, March 23, 2011
Dear lofo16,

Thank you for writing a review for our hotel. I would like to first apologize for the inconvenience we caused you by relocating your reservation to another hotel on your first night. Thank you for understanding and for giving us the opportunity to fix our mistake. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future. Once again, thank you so kindly.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (517)
Baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a visit to NoLa, and a stay at Le Marais. We selected this hotel based on the reviews on this site, and would highly recommend it. It's in a great location for anyone who plans to spend a great deal of time in the French Quarter! Just off of Bourbon, Royal and the other streets where the 'action is' but amazingly quiet considering the craziness closeby. The room was great -- we had a room with a courtyard balcony. In addition, we enjoyed the free continental breakfast each morning and a free cocktail in their bar. Although on the more expensive side, overall we were very pleased that we chose the Le Marais!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

The hotel is awesome! It is half a block away from Bourbon street. We stayed there during the Mardi Gras weekend and it was so close to everything!

When I checked in on Mar 2, the front desk associate, Shaun, informed me that no King rooms were available and the only room they could offer me was the room with 2 beds. It was not a problem since the room was a bit bigger (hopefully) and I have an extra bed to put my stuff on.

The room was very clean and new. Internet was free and they had free breakfast every morning which is even better. All the staff was extrememly helpful with directions. I must commend their manager, Daffne, she was very helpful and she is always on top of things. I work at a hotel and managers don't usually work til 2am and come back at 6am! talk about hard working.

Thank you Hotel Le Marais for making my trip to New orleans a great one :)

College Station, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

I booked this hotel through a prepaid third party agency after the current owner and management company took over the hotel, but prior to last summer's complete hotel renovation. We stayed during the last six nights of Carnival (ending with Mardi Gras [Fat Tuesday]). Through a set of circumstances that probably cannot be replicated, I obtained a rate that was about half that being charged during this particular time of high room demand. Although it required some time and effort on my part to confirm my reservation and obtain credit for the prepaid voucher, both prior and during our stay, the Hotel honored my bargain rate. Considering the rate paid, it was the best hotel value I've ever received.

The Hotel is perfectly located for the typical first time visitor, close to Bourbon St., Jackson Square, and the St. Charles and Canal streetcar stops. We did not experience any outside or hallway noise within in our 5th story courtyard facing room. All of the staff were cheerful and courteous, but a little bit green; several were confused over how to handle my third party booked reservation and payment voucher; one person answering the phone on the day of our arrival said my reservation had been canceled, almost putting me into cardiac arrest.

The rooms and common areas were very clean and tidy. The rooms are appointed with new and attractive furnishings. The shower (no tub) and sink areas are modern, funtional, spacious and attractive. The new white bedding was very comfortable. There is a wide screen high def TV with both analog and digital cable service; this would be much more functional if the rooms had a placard showing a listing of the cable TV channels and the corresponding channel number.

There is one slow hydraulic lift elevator (with a new and attractive interior). Since the hotel has less then 100 rooms (I would guess about 60-80), this didn't really cause us any significant delay, but since we were staying on the 5th floor, towards the end of our 6 night stay it became tiresome. There were no guest lock boxes available at the front desk (desk clerk said the boxes were there but they had not been keyed), and no room safe; this was only important to me because of our stay over Mardi Gras.

The complimentary breakfast was more than adequate, including bacon and/or sausage (appreciated by a carnivore like me), but was not adequately replenished during the rush that occurs during the weekend and holiday half hours preceeding the close of the service (unfortunately typical of many complimentary breakfast serving hotels).

The Hotel's General Manager, Michael Dezura, personally assisted me with reconfirming my room reservation. He was very present on property; one morning he was picking up feathers (it was Carnival) from the uptairs hallway floor; another afternoon he was preparing snacks for those at the bar; he is very pleasant and personable.

Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

A group of us decided to spend our 30th birthdays in New Orleans and discussed different hotels back and forth for awhile before finding this one. Let me say, I am absolutely thrilled we found this place and cannot wait to go back. The location is absolutely amazing, perhaps a half block off of Bourbon and right in the middle of everything. The decor is very modern and everything was very clean and well kept. One thing I found odd was the pool area; the pool is very small, in a brick courtyard without a single lounge chair in site. That really didn't matter much, just found it strange. Also, I cannot say enough nice things about the staff at this hotel. My boyfriend and I had an unfortunate situation where the credit card we brought to hold to room had been compromised and shut down upon check in, so we were facing significant charges to use debit (charges that would be refunded within a week of checkout, but that was still money we couldn't use in New Orleans). The staff was so patient with us and when we got it all figured out, they provided us with a complimentary upgrade to make sure our trip didn't start off on a negative note. The room was great, beds were very comfortable and huge. Bathroom was great, shower was unique in that it had half of a glass partition, rather than a curtain, so it's almost fully exposed. My friends and I want to make this a yearly tradition and will most certainly return to this hotel. Went at the end of February, so we got the Mardis Gras experience without it actually being Mardis Gras- great time overall!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

My husband & I had the pleasure of staying at the Hotel Le Marais for three nights last week for our first trip to New Orleans. I had read multiple reviews here on Trip Advisor recommending the hotel and we were not at all disappointed.
The hotel is located on Conti Street, only a half block from Bourbon and a few blocks from Jackson Square. Staying here puts you within reach of all the beautiful sights, sounds, smells (okay, some of the smells on Bourbon Street wouldn't exactly be described as beautiful, but they are part of the experience), and tastes of the French Quarter.
The staff was incredibly welcoming, helpful, and friendly. Upon check-in we were told about the Continental Breakfast and the warm, saltwater pool in the courtyard. We were given two free tickets for drinks at the hotel bar--a very nice touch!
I believe the hotel recently underwent a major renovation, and all of the hard work that was put into the project definitely shows. The lobby was clean, modern, and trendy (without being intimidating or obnoxious) and our room was equally impressive--clean, with modern decor & furnishings, a super-comfortable bed, and a flat screen tv. For our gadgets, there was an i-pod dock on the alarm clock and FREE Wi-Fi throughout the hotel (rare to be free, but definitely appreciated!) The bathroom was spotless. Our particular room on the third floor had a view of the beautiful courtyard and was amazingly quiet, even with the craziness of Bourbon Street being so close.
The morning we checked out, the front desk arranged to have a cab waiting for us. We hated to leave at all but it was nice to not have to hail down a cab on the street. It might be of interest to note that there were no hidden costs or fees tacked on to our bill (as that does happen, unfortunately, at some hotels.)
I think the Hotel Le Marais is an incredible value--the quality of the hotel, combined with the kind staff and great location will ensure that you have a great stay.
We fell in love with New Orleans and its awesome people. We will be looking forward to coming back and staying at the Hotel Le Marais again!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
druglas, Front Office Manager at Hotel Le Marais, responded to this review, March 26, 2011
Dear peace_love_midwest,

Warm Greetings from Hotel Le Marais. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. It is with great pleasure and satisfaction that we read your comments following your recent stay at hotel Le Marais. Thank you for sharing your experience with details, which will be helpful to future clients. We are glad you appreciated the personal assistance we are offering. We are looking forward to serve you again in the future.
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

I booked our room on the hotel website on 12/5/11, then recommended to our friends who subsequently booked with the hotel website and got the same rate and same room type. This was for arrival on Sat, 2/19/11. On the Wednesday before we received a 2nd confirmation from the hotel. Late on Fri nite the hotel simply left a voicemail less than 24hrs prior to checkin advising they had overbooked by 40 rooms given a computer problem and we were in the lucky 20 who they have made alternative accommodations for the first nite. Our friends, who had booked after us, got no such voicemail. We all arrived together around 7pm and were anxious to get our rooms and enjoy the first parade which had already started. They checked in without issue. Then we were told that was the last room and we could go to the Bourbon Orleans for the same rate and then return the next day for the 2nd and 3rd nite. I asked how it was determined that our room was given up before someone who reserved after us. No good explanation was received. The Bourbon Orleans is a related property which I never would have chosen. They barely were able to get us a room since they were full too. We got a room on the top floor with no room number and it smelled horrible, was dirty and extremely dated, this after having to walk several blocks thru the crowds with our luggage. Hotel Le Marais eventually comped us that room, but only after my repeated complaints and insistence that they do so. Once back at Hotel Le Marais we enjoyed the brand new rooms which is why we reserved there. We received a standard room when I would have thought they would upgrade us for all of the inconvenience. The lesson is that a reservation means nothing with this hotel and they can put you on the street or at a far inferior property and feel no remorse for it.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
druglas, Front Office Manager at Hotel Le Marais, responded to this review, March 15, 2011
Good Evening mk2me,

Thank you so much for writing a review for our hotel.

I am sorry that we weren't able to provide you with better service; however, we try to accommodate our guests the best we can. I would like to apologize that we didn't have a room for you. Having a system failure was unexpected but at least now we are aware of this problem and we will be alert in the future. I want you to know that we value your review and we will take your review as an example to better assist our customers. Once again, I am very sorry for the inconvenience we caused you when we moved your reservation to the Bourbon Orleans. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all our guests. Consequently, it is disappointing to learn that you are unhappy.
Please accept my most sincere apology.
If you need further assistance regarding this matter, do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Once again thank you for taking the time to help us serve you better.

Been to Hotel Le Marais? Share your experiences!