“Brilliant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Audubon Insectarium

Audubon Insectarium
423 Canal Street, US Custom House, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)
Website
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

The insectarium was brilliant. The best bit was the cinema .... you sit down to watch a show about insects but the seats move and shake and I was like a little girl screaming. It was soooo cool.

I'm not squeamish so I really liked seeing the spiders although the highlight has to be the butterflies. You can go into an area with huge butterflies, at one point there was one that landed on my sister-in-law so I was able to take great up-close photos.

The insectarium is well set out for children AND adults!!!

Visited December 2012

New Orleans
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Small but Fun for Kids”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

The Insectarium is a little facitily located on Canal Street in the US Customs Building. I think admission is now up to over $15 so I'd suggest the better value of $44 for the Aquarium, Insectarium, and Zoo combined, you at least save a couple dollars.

They have several stations set up with employees to tell you about specific bugs and allow you to touch them if you want, so that's informative - don't be afraid to ask questions! The butterfly exhibit is nice if you haven't been to the one in Key West (which is unbelievably amazing)...I also think it depends on how many butterflies they're able to keep at once. The lifespan of a butterfly is about two weeks so I imagine the population in there fluctuates a lot..there just weren't many when we went this weekend.

There's a fun little movie, too.

It's definitely worth it to go if you go ahead and get it with the zoo and aquarium package.

Pensacola, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Gross fun!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My 6 year old and I loved this museum. Who knew insects were so interesting? The cockroach exhibit was a little disturbing, but the rest was great, particularly the room of pinned butterflies in every color of the rainbow. Absolutely beautiful!

Visited August 2012
Brooklyn
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“A fun place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We had a lot of fun here looking at all the cool inverts they had on display. The highlight was definitely the edible insect demo, we ate some of the bugs and they were pretty tasty! The butterfly section is also pretty cool, you can see butterflies coming out of their chrysalis' and the free flying butterfly room was pretty neat! If you're lucky a butterfly might perch on you if you stand in just the right place.

DeWitt, Michigan
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Something for Everyone”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Although not all in our group were bug lovers, everyone found something they loved at the Insectarium. My 8 year old son was fascinated by the ant colony. He would have sat there all day if we had let him. My 8 year old daughter participated in the "bug" food sampling with a chocolate covered cricket. I loved the butterfly room. This place was fun because we had never experienced anything like it before. We only allowed about 2 hours for the Insectarium and it was not enough.

The movie experience was not very good. The "4D" seemed to be out of synch with the movie. Hours of operation are strictly adhered to. We were essentially "tossed" from the place the minute it closed. Even as we were directed to exit through the gift shop, we were informed that we could not make any purchases because the gift shop was closed as well. Be sure you budget your time so you can see/do everything.