“Great Location and Friendly Staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard New Orleans Downtown Near the French Quarter

Save Saved
You added Courtyard New Orleans Downtown Near the French Quarter to your Saves list
Courtyard New Orleans Downtown Near the French Quarter
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   124 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #86 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
San Diego, California
“Great Location and Friendly Staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed here for four nights and were pleasantly surprised. Although the room is not huge, it is decent size and there was plenty of room for my sister and me. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom was fine.
We never made it to the breakfast that was available but the staff was accomodating in allowing us to get a yogurt at no cost.
The location is great - it is a very easy walk to Bourbon Street, Jackson Square, Harrah's, Superdome, etc. We did not take public transportation at all during our stay here as we were able to walk everywhere.
There was a city wide water treatment problem where you were advised to not use the water to wash your face and brush your teeth. It lasted about 24 hours and the hotel provided plenty of bottled water.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We just returned from a wonderful 4 day visit to New Orleans for a wedding. We were very happy with our hotel choice - it made getting around a dream as it really is right in the middle of everything a visitor could wish for. The hotel is a wonderful surprise as it looks like not much from the outside, amazing on the inside. Very spacious lobby area with a wonderful fireside living room for catching up with friends. Great breakfast dining area that was always filled with guests. The staff was friendly, the advice and help with getting around, doing tours etc was top notch. Our room was comfortable, bed was great, pillows got a gold star. However, I recommend requesting a room on the second floor. We were on the ground floor & our room was on a parking lot with cars pulled up right against our window which was a bit disconcerting. Otherwise, great value in a great city!

Room Tip: Definitely request second floor and up!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
South Kingstown, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed three nights at this Courtyard on St. Charles just blocks from the French Quarter and on the Canal and St. Charles Streetcar lines. We had a beautiful corner room and it was very comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. There is a JW Marriott right next door that charges over a $100 more a night, at least. St. Charles St. become Royal Street in the French Quarter. The hotel is near some of the best restaurants within Walking distance. It is not far to walk to Jackson Square or the Harrah's Casino. One can catch the Hop On Hop Off Tour Bus at Harrah's and also the Riverside Streetcar line. We enjoyed our stay here very much. Dennis of the door staff was very helpful all week.

Room Tip: Parking is valet and it is worth the cost to just leave one's car for the duration.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

My wife and I stayed here while on a stop over on our way to Alabama. This hotel is very conviently located to all the attraction in the French Quarter, everything is an easy walk from this hotel. The rooms are very nice and the hotel in general is very updated and nice. I would reccomend valet parking if you happen to have a car. I would reccomend this hotel and am definately planning to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed here easter weekend and had a great time. I do like the location of the property, as it is close to canal street and the French Quarter. Since the property is on St Charles I stongly suggest that you take the street car and tour St. Charles Ave. It's Lovely! However, for the price, I do not feel that this property will give you the bang for your buck. Thank God I was able to stay for 2 free nites due to a Marriott promotion; it appears that guests had to pay upwards to over $200 a nite! Ouch! The room was quite small but was clean and well appointed. The lobby area has the updated Courtyard vibe and I sat there and watched a Bulls game one afternoon, and met some nice guests. I never ate there, and wouldn't since there are so many better places to eat. Would I stay her again...Yes, but only if I get a promotional rate.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Thomasville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I stayed here for one night on a recent business trip. The hotel was convenient to everything you'd want to do in New Orleans. It was quiet at night and the staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel appeared at all times to be clean and tidy. The bathroom had nice walk-in showers with new, updated tile. Overall a very modern hotel. A previous poster here mentioned bed bugs. I admit I did notice a three bug bites after I had departed, but I am not certain they came from bed bugs (not that I doubt the previous poster). I did an awful lot of walking around the city over the course of time I was there, so they could have come from anything as far as I know. New Orleans is pretty buggy this time of year.

Room Tip: Ask for a floor with a balcony on St. Charles.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

My Girlfriend, her friend and myself all stayed at this Courtyard earlier this year. All three of us slept in the room this evening. When we woke up all of us noticed small bite marks on different parts of our body. After getting a shower and getting into the car I slowly realized just how many bites I had on the drive back home. I was covered in bug bites. The bites were large and swollen on me and little concentrated red ones on my girlfriend. I checked my body when I got home and found 35+ bites on my scalp, eyelid, forehead, arms, legs, back, chest, and so on. Due to the severity of the bites and my swollen eye I went to the doctor who confirmed that these were bites and most likely bed bug bites due to the pattern of the bites and the location where I got them. I brought this to the manager’s attention at the hotel that proceeded to get the room checked for evidence; he called to tell me that they checked the room and did not find any trace of bedbugs. The manager I spoke with kept blaming it on bugs outside in the streets. I explained that we were no where else to get the bites and that when we entered the room no one had any bites and 8 hours later when we woke up all three of us had the same bites. I further explained that they could be fleas or something but something in the room bit all of us in an extreme manner. The manager was no help and was accusatory. I eventually got put in touch with a claims department who’s customer service was even worse than the manager at the hotel. I explained that I am a platinum member and have never filed a claim or made a formal complaint before and I stay in Marriott hotels over 200+ nights a year for 4 years now. I was still treated like a liar. No manager would ever show me proof that the room was checked and cleared of bed bugs. I forwarded the claims department photos of both my bites and my girlfriend’s bites along with a doctors bill and prescription bills for the visit after the hotel stay. I was refused any payment for my belongings that I discarded before getting back to my home. In the end Marriott treated me horrible. The management staff refused to pay for the bag that I had to throw out and the change of clothes that we threw out. I wanted my experience to be heard so that future customers can no what to expect from Marriott regarding their handling of a situation such as this. Keep in mind that I am a high level Platinum Elite member and this is how I was treated. Imagine if how they would treat someone with no status at this company.

Room Tip: Check the mattresses for signs of bugs
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Athena J, Manager at Courtyard New Orleans Downtown Near the French Quarter, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
"Thank you for your review. I am the Assistant General Manager at the Courtyard. We have the greatest concern and respect for every guest’s experience and Marriott takes hotel hygiene and cleanliness very seriously. As a result, Marriott has established very strict standards of cleanliness for all hotels that either meet or exceed public health department regulations, including pest control. On a regular basis we have a licensed laboratory check our hotels for pest control, cleaning, sanitizing and food safety handling to insure the highest levels of cleanliness in our hotels. The latest assessment performed by this third party clears the hotel of pests. I can make it available to you in this special situation.

We strive to have every guest leave with a positive impression of our city and hotel. I apologize that your stay and subsequent treatment did not meet your expectations and I would be happy to speak further with you about the issue. Please provide contact information privately or contact me directly at 504-581-9005 ext 4109.”

Been to Courtyard New Orleans Downtown Near the French Quarter? Share your experiences!