“Overall good, but the breakfast is unbeatable!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Convention Center

Save Saved
You added Hampton Inn & Suites Convention Center to your Saves list
Hampton Inn & Suites Convention Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1201 Convention Center Boulevard, New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Double HHonors Points
Ranked #18 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Columbia
“Overall good, but the breakfast is unbeatable!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I like the location of this place, it's not in a loud area of the city, it's quiet. But, close enough to walk anywhere and right across the streets from the Convention Center which is convenient for business purposes.

The first room we went to smelled like chemicals so they gave us another room. It smelled like mildew but we dealt with it. Opening the window would have had tremendously, but you can't open the windows.

The breakfast is so good! It's my favorite breakfast at any hotel. You can eat healthy or unhealthy and there are plenty of options. The hot food is always hot and fresh.

The staff here is very friendly and greet you. The cookies in the evening are a nice treat. The young man who checked us in noticed we were tired from traveling all day and gave us a bottle of water :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
ATL..Yall
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

A group of 50 of us went to New Orleans for the Falcons vs Saints game.

I read most of the reviews online, so I wasn't shocked to find that this was an older hotel, or as some people say its Historic.

It was within walking distance to the RiverWalk Market Place and the Shops at Canal Place and while some people had no problems with walking to Bourbon Street, I thought that too far of a walk and took a taxi.

When we checked in a two people (well four since it was double occupancy) requested new rooms. They claimed their rooms smelled moldy and wet. These request were honored with no problems.

Just like any other hotel, you don't want to be near the elevator or ice machine or you are bound to hear people walking and talking all night.

Our room had two double beds, and there was a post note on one of the beds that stated that the linen had been changed. Not sure why it was there, but THANKS!! We also had a mini fridge, and a flat screen TV and all the buttons on the remote were still marked.

I left my phone charger home and I called down to the front desk and asked them if they had one I could use, she asked me what type of phone I had and when I answered her, she stated that they only had them for older phones. That was my only interaction with the staff.

I was sorta bummed that there was no restaurant on premise, cause once you leave all that drinking on Bourbon Street, it'd be nice to be able to order up to your room. There were some places that delivered, but when we called them they had wait times over an hour.

They have a okay continental breakfast, the three days we were there, I mostly went with pink grapefruit slices and muffins (saving my calories for New Orleans foods) but they had the standards bagels, eggs, bacon, sausage, grits, etc types of food.

I went down to get juice one day after the breakfast was over, and it was empty and didn't seem to be something they offered throughout the day, but tea bags and hot water were accessible all day.

Not sure how far the SuperDome is because the bus we took down drove us to the dome, but it was about a ten minute bus ride.

Would stay again if I was in New Orleans, but I would prefer to be closer to where the action is.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Charlene M, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Convention Center, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback and we're glad you enjoyed your stay. The next time you're in the area we would be glad to have you again.

Charlene Martinez
Hotel Manager
Washington, D.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I stayed in this hotel over the Thanksgiving holiday. The hotel was nice, comfortable, and clean! The morning breakfast I enjoyed each morning. The hot food selection was changed each day, and there was more than enough danish, cereal, yougurt, fruit, and oatmeal options for those that would prefer somthing a bit more 'on the go'. Each evening, there were very yummy cookies, and no matter what time I came in, coffee was there to warm me up!

The rooms were equipped with mini fridges, and microwaves, and a nice good sized flat screen tv! There was enough linen provided so you didn't need housekeeping to refresh each day.

The ONE thing that is a turn off with this hotel is the VALET PARKING COST! I understand there is no room on the street to park, however, $30/day for parking is starting to get a bit ridiculous especially when the rates for the hotel are a bit high also (even though there was no event at the Convention Center). They know you MUST take advantage of valet parking, so whatever THEY set as the rate is what goes....not a good look Hampton Inn!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Charlene M, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Convention Center, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
I appreciate your review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that parking cost was of concern; we strive to offer our guests a cost-affordable experience by researching parking costs in the area and charging a comparable amount. We will work to inform our guests of all charges on our website or at the front desk upon check in. Thank you for your review and happy Holidays!

Charlene Martinez
Hotel Manager
Jonesborough, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Beautiful building, convenient to Convention Center. Staff was very friendly and helpful, from initial reservations to check in and out (particularly Katie and Christopher). Excellent breakfast buffet, good variety of hot and cold items - even a grab and go breakfast for the early morning sessions. Rooms were spotless. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from elevators - could hear people & elevator noise from the room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

I reserved a room at the hampton just for a night out and was I suprised! Everything was perfect this hampton is fantastic. Its not your average hampton its everything you'd expect from a hampton and so much more. I made a mistake when booking my reservation and staff especially ms. Katie were so helpful and accomodating. A very kind lady made small talk with me in the lobby and asked about my stay boy was I shocked to find out I was speaking to the manager charlene. This hotel really is the finest example of old new orleans charm and southern hospitality. I will return soon.

• Stayed November 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights at the end of a tour of Texas & Louisiana. The reception & breakfast area was very welcoming and there is a small shop selling a variety of snacks & drinks.

Room was clean & comfortable with free wifi. As the layout of the hotel is quite confusing it can be quite a long walk from your room to get out of the hotel. With this in mind it would be helpful to sell bottled water in the vending machines rather than having to trek to reception.

As a previous review has mentioned, Mulate's (a 10 minute walk) is definitely worth a visit and we had a great meal - you should try the blackened alligator! It tastes like chicken!

However the best thing about this hotel are the extremely helpful & friendly staff. Unfortunately I had a medical issue whilst staying and would like to thank the concierge for his help with this and putting me at ease during a worrying time, especially not being used to the US medical system. He recommended a local urgent care clinic and called ahead to ensure I could be seen, before getting a taxi for me. On arriving back at the hotel the reception staff made a point of asking how I was and if there was anything they could do. The next morning the concierge also went out of his way to check on me.

This personal touch was very much appreciated and is what makes the hotel stand out from all the others.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed over a weekend. The price was very reasonable for downtown New Orleans. This is a very nice Hampton in with a lovely courtyard/pool area. We enjoyed a hot breakfast each morning and the attendant was super nice. All of the staff was very friendly and helpful. It was great to have a fridge and microwave in the room. The room was clean and comfortable . We felt safe in this area.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Convention Center? Share your experiences!