“Not exactly what we were looking for” 2 of 5 stars

1261 Esplanade Ave., New Orleans, LA 70116   |
Ranked #29 of 144 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wayne513
“Not exactly what we were looking for”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2008

Booked this Hotel through timeshare trading. Went to New Orleans with another couple and we wanted a Condo type situation with 2 bedrooms and a kitchenette.
First let me say that this place has no business being on a timeshare directory it is old and run down. This traditional New Orleans style house, in it's heyday, must have been magnificent, but now this place, while relatively clean, is neglected and has absolutely no amenites. There is no staff on premises. When you check in the keys are on the desk with a post it note that has the unit number on it and you are on your own for the week. This place has a laundry room with a beat up washer that doesn't always work properly. I saw no evidence of bugs, although there are ultrasonic pest repellers in every room...not a good sign.
If you are just looking for a place to crash for a few days and don't care about frills or amenities, I guess it's OK, but it really wasn't what we wanted. As far as location, It is walking distance to the French Quarter and the neighborhood is nice and safe. We freely walked to and from the quarter at all hours without problems.
Parking is on the street and not always easy to find a spot.

• Liked — Location was convenient
  • Disliked — No anemites or staff
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2008

Let me start by saying that a friend had a timeshare and we decided to use it in New Orleans since Hotel Storyville was available. It was listed on the RCI Resorts and there was one review that was not flattering...I decided to go on the positive side and hope for the best. Unfortunately.....that negative review wasn't too far off. Because of that, I will start with the pros first before digging into the cons.

Pros:
* Decent location. It was about a 10 minute walk to French Quarter but not a walk to do by yourself late at night. A cab ride was $10 and well worth it.

*It was an old building with lots of character and with a little work could be the cutest little place!

* The shower had good water pressure.

* The room itself was a nice size with a small kitchen, living room area, dining room and a bedroom with full size bed and full bath.

* Check in/out was easy and the front office offered plenty of brochures and magazines to help us decide on what to do and where to eat.

Cons:

* We never saw the innkeeper. Our flight arrived late and she told us the code to get in the front door. She also left us a welcome note at the front desk with the key. We were there 4 days and saw no one, thankfully we did not need anything.

* This place needs a DEEP cleaning, bad!!!!! I understand that it is an old building but that is no excuse to see mouse droppings in every corner and roaches. Please note that I did not see an actual mouse while we were there but the evidence was there that a mouse had definitely been in our room and kitchen.

* The room's carpet was very old and stains everywhere. It had been a while since it had been vaccuumed, I did not walk around in bare feet.

* There were mouse droppings in the kitchen cabinets, bathroom cabinets, all floors and on top of some furniture....gross! I was able to find a bottle of 409 to disinfect most of the place.

I grew up in the country so I am not scared of a mouse or roaches but to see something like this in a well known timeshare resort but revolting to me. Unacceptable :-( I do not know, since we never saw the innkeepers, if they are older and unable to maintain this property but it has tons of potention just needs some tlc. Stay at your own risk.

Stayed March 2008

Been to Hotel Storyville? Share your experiences!