“Home Away from Home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 144 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Belleville, New Jersey
“Home Away from Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Are you looking for a fun night on Bourbon or the more "locals" frequented Frenchman St? Maybe you'd like to stroll through downtown, or the shops on Canal? How about the French Market? You're only a short walk away from Hotel Storyville.

Nestled in the historic French Quarter, Hotel Storyville offers all the comforts of home and makes traveling feel like anything but... Upon my arrival Barbara the Hotel manager, greeted me with a warm smile and gave me a tour of the facility that included a spacious and inviting back yard complete with a patio perfect for lounging. As we made our way upstairs, I was shown the balcony that would prove to be the perfect place to sip my morning cup of "Joe" and people watch.

We opened the door to room which to my delight had been upgraded, free of charge. The room was clean, furnished well, and reminded me of my apartment in the Caribbean with its bright, warm, colors and ceiling fans. The room just begged for anyone walking in to "stay a while." Shortly after, Barbara threw some local knowledge my way and suggested places I might want to give a look during my stay. I would later meet the housekeeper (I regret missing her name) who was equally as friendly and welcoming.

If you're ever in town, Hotel Storyville is your home away from home. Don't forget to take advantage of the unique culinary experience while you're there . We're talking beignets, po boys, gumbo, and oysters like you'll be hard pressed to find anywhere. Come to Hotel Storyville and "stay a while."

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Mandeville, Louisiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

Situated on historic Esplanade Ave. between the French Quarter and Marigny neighborhood, Hotel Storyville delivers a clean, we'll appointed room in a great location, for an affordable price. Innkeeper Barbara Ann Locklear serves as a wonderful hostess and concierge, offering directions and advice on where to find the best food, music, art and entertainment. My wife and I visited for our 20th wedding anniversary and we could not have been more pleased.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I traveled to New Orleans in late October 2013 for a business meeting. Went a day early to goof off prior to the meeting. I stumbled upon Hotel Storyville as I was trying to find a room for a 1 night stay on a Saturday night. I didn't realize until late in my planning that almost the entire city was booked up for a trio of professional conventions. Good thing I found this place.

First, I can't say enough good things about the owner, Barbara. From my initial inquiry until my checkout, she was pretty much always available to help. When I checked in she answered questions, made suggestions and had discount coupons just for hotel guests. Super nice lady and a great resource for NOLA visitors.

The hotel itself has been nicely restored. Very lovely NOLA architecture. Really nice, landscaped backyard and sitting area, too. I stayed in the studio on the first floor. Great space for a solo traveler. Room was plenty big, plus it has a coffee pot, refrigerator, and toaster oven.

I have never stayed in the Esplanade / Treme neighborhood before. If you want to have a real NOLA experience, this is definitely a place for you to stay. Obviously, Treme is where jazz was pretty much created. You are also within walk/bike distance of Frenchmen Street and the Faubourg Marigny. Both Frenchmen and the Marigny have great restaurants, bars, and music venues. These are places where locals hang out. Much preferable to Bourbon Street and other tourist dominated spots. You can also head over to Armstrong Park and Congo Square.

Word of advice: rent a bike. I rented from Crescent City Bike Tours on Rampart Street. This is a great way to get around, especially in the neighborhoods to check out music and bars.

Anyway, Hotel Storyville is a really nice place for you to lay your head while visiting one of my all-time favorite cities. Give Barbara a call. She will set you up for a great visit!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed here with a group of friends recently. The hotel is gorgeous and huge, and it was a perfect stay. Barbara was sooo accommodating to our needs! She went out and got us essentials (beer) and cooked a shrimp boil for us all 1 night. It's close to Bourbon St., and every suite of 2 bedrooms has its own living room, kitchen, and bathroom. The backyard and tiki bar are awesome-- I highly recommend it!

Madisonville, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I don't like giving up this little secret. It may hinder the chances for me getting back there.BY FAR the best guest house hotel experience you'll have in New Orleans. That's all you get out of me and if it's booked next time I want to visit. I may be knocking on your door to sleep on the floor.LOL. Charles Tucker tuckertransmissions.com Madisonville, Louisiana.

Room Tip: Stay out of mine.I like'em all.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I recently organized a bachelor party for 13 people and didn't want to do the traditional splitting-hotel-rooms situation. I found Hotel Storyville through some fortunate googling, and Barbara the innkeeper was so, so sweet and accommodating in helping to plan our trip. The house and backyard are absolutely beautiful and unique. Each room has it's own feel and the backyard is spacious and well suited for outdoor hanging out. We stayed for two days and honestly it didn't feel like enough time. Barbara organized a shrimp boil for my group as well which was perfect. I was a bit concerned beforehand about how far the walk would be to the bars on Bourbon Street, but the walk was far closer than I expected and the experience and space was definitely worth the short walk. Overall, I would highly recommend to people looking for a location for a group event and also for individuals or couples looking for a more local experience in New Orleans. Can't wait to visit again!

New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed here for a bachelor party this past weekend and it was great. Barbara is super accommodating and even cooked dinner for us one night (shrimp boil complete with beers, corn, sausage and more).

Would definitely recommend for a group!

Only drawback was lack of a real common room.