“This place has charachter!” 4 of 5 stars

Nine-O-Five Royal Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   905 Royal St, New Orleans, LA 70116 (French Quarter)   |
Ranked #118 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Cayman Islands
“This place has charachter!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

I booked this hotel because of the incredible location in the French Quarter and because the rest of the city was sold out. At the time of my booking this hotel was #143 out of 151 hotels in New Orleans, so I was expecting a complete dive. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. We arrived in the evening and a gentleman met us as we got out of the taxi with our keys. The room we were in had a door facing Royal street on the 1st floor. Yes, the furniture was old. Yes, the decorations were old. Yes, it smelled a little musty. But it was a great experience. There aren't big frills like Room Service and Mini Bars, but there is a kitchen with a full size refrigerator, coffee maker, adequate shower and bathroom facility, beautiful antique decorations, and most of all a true New Orleans experience. The one staff member that met us was available when we needed him for an iron, directions, and general friendly conversation. I agree that if you're looking for somewhere fancy look elsewhere, but if you're interested in a room with charachter that is literally one block from Bourbon street and walking distance of everything you need, this is the place.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2010

We stayed at the Nine O Five Royal in October 2010 in a 2 bedroom unit that had a balcony that looked out on Royal Street. It is in a great location, easy walking distance to everything. Having a balcony to sit on for morning coffee or evening cocktails, it was a great way to view life in the quarter. Fun also to watch all the carriage drivers go by and spin their tales of the quarter, was great listening to the different stories they told of days gone by. The unit had 2 bedrooms, the front bedroom had a king bed and a small tv, the other bedroom had a queen bed, there was one bathroom off the second bedroom, small shower, but clean and serviceable, then a small kitchen with sink, fridge and microwave. It was not posh by any means, but clean and the maid service daily was prompt and accomodating and if you like old homes and the quirky features have, then this is the place for you. Great value for the accomodations and the location cannot be beat. There is a wonderful restaurant across the street from the hotel called Cafe Amelie, with one of the most beautiful courtyards in the quarter, and wonderful food as well. Definitely worth checking out.
To sum it up, we enjoyed our stay at the Nine O Five and would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

If you're looking for 5 star amenities this is not the place for you. It is an old house converted into a hotel. Everything is basic "no frills" but close to Bourbon St, Riverwalk, French Market , The Art District and all of the best the Frenchquarter has to offer as far as food, drink and entertainment. No car needed here. The room we stayed in was on the first floor with the office as the foyer to the entrance of the room. The room has a small kitchenette, small bathroom with shower only. A very large comfy bed, old televison that needs to be replaced (used only to watch the news). We stayed during the New Years Eve weekend and it was noisy however it seemed to calm down by Saturday our last night. The room was clean, the hotel innkeeper was polite, and New Orleans will forever be memorable and in our hearts. GO SAINTS!!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
mobile, al
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

I stayed in the "nicer" 2 bedroom upstairs with the balcony views....The toilet stayed backed up, the balcony is shared/partitioned with noisey neighbors, the price is was over-rated.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2009

My husband I stayed here last July for my Birthday; it is our 4th time to stay at the 905 (one of which was our honeymoon...) We always reserve room number one, as we love to sit and read on "our" front porch.

Room number one has 14 foot ceilings, an enormous, comfortable bed, a sizable closet, a kitchenette, and a small bathroom with a shower (no tub.) It is large enough to deal with the numerous hatboxes that seem to get involved in our trips to NOLA, plus the anteroom, plus our front porch.

The security is fabulous (as is the location - quiet, but central to everything in the quarter) but what sets the 905 apart are the owners, Miss Jane and Miss Joyce. The property has been functioning as a family hotel for 3 generations; they are professional innkeepers with hearts of gold.

There is no parking, but when we arrived late Friday afternoon, they had "scoped out" a spot around the corner where we could park for free for the weekend, and keep an eye on our car - their food recommendations are always spot on, the rooms are SPOTLESS, and we love it.

My best friend recommended it to me - we are both love fancy schmancy hotels, (which the 905 isn't!) but who needs a fancy hotel when you can have an authentic room in an authentic hotel in an authentically lovely city?

• Liked — Owners, location, staff
  • Disliked — We love it!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Rhode Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2007

Horrible experience. I called the hotel to make the reservation. Since they couldn't do it by phone, I made it on the internet using my credit card. They called the next day to say they didn't accept credit cards and would need a check. After I sent a check, they informed me my reservation could no longer be honored. Take my advise and stay at a real hotel.

• Stayed August 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2007

I have stayed at 905 two times and stayed in two different room classes. We stayed in a two bedroom balcony suite during the first visit, which I highly recommend. The view is wonderful with the Cornstalk Hotel next door and beautiful architecture across the way. The location is fantastic - extremely close to Bourbon Street and a short walk to Cafe du Monde and Jackson Square. The staff allowed us to keep our luggage at the hotel before checking in and after check out time, as well. It is gated, and I always felt safe. The double room is a bit small, but I had no complaints. Unlike reviews I've read of other hotels in the French Quarter, we never saw any roaches or rodents, nor did we smell any odors. The beds were comfortable, but it is not a luxury hotel. I recommend this charming hotel if you really want to experience NOLA.

• Liked — location, dependability
  • Disliked — didn't dislike anything
  • Stayed February 2005, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Nine-O-Five Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!