“Completely French Quarter experience” 4 of 5 stars

Nine-O-Five Royal Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   905 Royal St, New Orleans, LA 70116 (French Quarter)   |
Ranked #122 of 156 Hotels in New Orleans
Phoenix, Arizona
“Completely French Quarter experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

It's a nice hotel if you like the French Quarter style and antiques, if not is better to find other option, the only problem is that you have to check in before midnight because there is not 24 hrs reception service, an our flight was late, so we were very stressed. Very, very well located walking distance to Jackson Square, Cafe Du Monde, French Market, Natchez Boat, etc. Royal Street has very nice shops along the way to Canal St. Very good experience! I went with my wife for Valentine's but we will return with our daughters...

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Woodbridge, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

At least once a year, for the last 13 years, we stay at 905 Royal. It has the feel of Old New Orleans, vintage furniture, comfortable and clean. We have stayed in almost every room in the hotel, and they are all great! The owners are wonderful, the staff is very pleasant, the rooms are neat & clean. We love the location. It is in the middle of the Quarter so it is easy to get wherever you are going. We love the porch, and the back patio. Highly recommend staying here to all!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We come to NOLA once a year to relax instead of party, so we wondered how raucous it would be this close into the heart of the French Quarter. It was our best stay yet! Our room in the back was very cozy with a lovely courtyard and access to the front porch. The pooorch! We sat outside every night with a glass of wine just watching everyone, saying hello to the other guests, and saying hello back to people passing.

We parked for free several blocks away in Marigny because that's where we usually go (on the other side of Elysian Fields) - it's a beautiful 10 minute walk and you can leave your car there the whole time.

The only thing is that the maid cleans too early (for travellers) and we felt rushed when we got back from breakfast to grab our stuff for the day. Aside from the hour, though, we always came back to a fresh, clean room. The man who is manager on the weekends was great to talk to as well, having grown up there. We will stay again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Blackburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I stayed at this small, quaint and truly New Orleans style boutique hotel in September, My small single room with shower and kitchen had everything I needed as a solo traveller. It was spotlessly clean. The little bed was comfy, the TV and radio worked.
I found the two sisters that own the hotel and their own house next door warm, friendly and always kind and helpful, chatting to one of them one day she shared the story of the history of the house and hotel her family has owned for 3 generations, the hotel is the oldest on Royal Street . She also shared her story of how they all got through the Katrina disaster and how they got back home to see their city almost destroyed.
Whenever I saw the maid or the night staff Leo and Larry I had a chat with them, they were also friendly, kind and helpful.
The situation of this hotel is one of the best in the city, its in the heart of the French Quarter, you step outside of this hotel and do not know which way to turn to hear the music that you can hear there on your doorstep or just down the street or in one of the nearby bars or down the road a few blocks and you are at Frenchmen Street where some of the Music that is played there is phenomenal.
Just to sit on the front balcony of this hotel is in itself wonderful, relax and watch the crazy beautiful world that is New Orleans pass you by.
So all in all, I so obviously rate this hotel to the max.. check it out it is worth it

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Siesta Key, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

After reading the previous reviews and hearing about the horror stories about this place, I booked a room anyway. What a GREAT decision! This place is ALL NOLA. It's furnishings are old-school Victorian(which I'm quite fond of), which give the room a certain flavor that you can't find at the Marriott or the Hilton. If it's the Hilton you want, go to Canal St, and get a room there. This place is more bed and breakfast, without the breakfast! I came fully prepared with suction hooks and hangers to hang my shirts up, because I didn't know what to expect. Imagine my surprise when I entered the room and saw a full-size dresser, AND a small closet with a rod to hang things from. The room even had an iron, and a small ironing board! The bathroom and shower are quite small as I had to turn sideways to use the toilet(make sure when booking to let them know if you are overweight), but it was only myself in the room. Two people would NOT be able to use it at the same time. Water pressure and temps were perfect! A bunch of reviews above complain about the maids. Obviously the owners fixed the maid "problem". I didn't even SEE the maid until my third day, and that was only after I ran into the owner, the afternoon of the second day, where I confirmed that the maid would come by at 10 AM. I heard the maids knocking on the morning of the second day, but when I said I was awake and had to put a t-shirt on, they said they would come back but never did. I hadn't used up too many of the towels(hand, face, and full body towels are provided), to even warrant the maid, but I let it go. The maid cleaned up, mopped, placed new towels and it only took her 20 minutes. I had a room on the back of the building, so noise was at a minimum. The only thing I actually heard was the train whistle as it passed Jackson Square, as well as some goofballs across the street who were yelling at passers-by, as well as the ghost tour groups.
All in all, I will DEFINITELY be staying here when I visit NOLA again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the side are smaller(good for 2 people at most), but MUCH quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Macedonia, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We placed our reservation with the owner. (no refunds)
When we got our confirmation by e-mail, there was an extra amount
of money that was not quoted to us when we placed the reservation.
We called to ask what the amount was for and the person answering gave the call to the owner.
She answered the phone ranting. She was very belligerent and insulted us by calling us trouble.
We asked to cancel our reservation, feeling this was an uncomfortable situation. She stated she would not give us our money back.
As for our stay on the positive side, the place was quaint with a small cute court yard along with a nice porch to sit on in front. (There are many hotels that have this type of setting.)
As for the negative side (besides the treatment we got at the onset.) The price of the nights stay did not match the ammenities.
Of course the room is part of an old home, however it could have been maintained somewhat better, in comparison to the amount of money charged.
The room did not provide extra towels. It did not provide plastic sealed cups for drinking. (The room had a few regular dishes.We did not feel comfortable on how these dishes may or may not have been cleaned.)
The bed although comfortble had a terrible squeak and you did not want to move in fear of waking up your partner.
The bathroom had no place to set anything down. As well the outlet did not work, so you had to be in the kitchenette or by the bed to use what you needed. The shower dripped all night so we had to keep the door closed.
We had a room in the back which was good for blocking some of the street noice.
However overhead there were several large air conditioners that made a lot of rumbing noice and woke us up when they started up.
There was a door to the walk way to the side rooms that had a dead blot on it which was good.
However your room is exposed to at least 3 other rooms. The room had a push button lock that you would find in your home for a bedroom or a bath. (This type of lock can be easily accessed with a credit card.)
The owner and workers lived in the house next door with the shutters locked over the entrances.
There is no access to the management if you need anything.
When they clean your room and if you have anything set out they seem to have the need to touch your things and move them for no apparent reason. ( It did not interfere with any cleaning.) So we had to actually pack our bags every morning before heading out for the day so that they would touch anything. With all of the above, it did not make for the best of stay and did not match the amount charged for the rooms.
Traveler beware there are no refunds, there is not the ammenities that come standard in hotels
and hopefully if you choose to stay here, you will be spoken to with repect and treated with hospitality.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kilgore, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

A stay 905 Royal, apart from having a great view and nice room, isn't a pleasant one. The rooms include a balcony view and privacy; unless the maids are cleaning that is. Upon arriving back to our room during our stay, our belongings were shuffled around and there were items missing. Remotes to the hotel's TVs, two of them, were no where in the room. The blonde woman that oversees the hotel had confronted us about them and blamed us for their loss. We were charged $25 dollars after our stay for something we did not do. Aside from being wrongfully accused, the walls in the room were terribly damaged and the hot water in the sinks did not work. Overall, our stay was bittersweet.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family