“Traveler Beware” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #119 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Macedonia, Ohio
“Traveler Beware”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We placed our reservation with the owner. (no refunds)
When we got our confirmation by e-mail, there was an extra amount
of money that was not quoted to us when we placed the reservation.
We called to ask what the amount was for and the person answering gave the call to the owner.
She answered the phone ranting. She was very belligerent and insulted us by calling us trouble.
We asked to cancel our reservation, feeling this was an uncomfortable situation. She stated she would not give us our money back.
As for our stay on the positive side, the place was quaint with a small cute court yard along with a nice porch to sit on in front. (There are many hotels that have this type of setting.)
As for the negative side (besides the treatment we got at the onset.) The price of the nights stay did not match the ammenities.
Of course the room is part of an old home, however it could have been maintained somewhat better, in comparison to the amount of money charged.
The room did not provide extra towels. It did not provide plastic sealed cups for drinking. (The room had a few regular dishes.We did not feel comfortable on how these dishes may or may not have been cleaned.)
The bed although comfortble had a terrible squeak and you did not want to move in fear of waking up your partner.
The bathroom had no place to set anything down. As well the outlet did not work, so you had to be in the kitchenette or by the bed to use what you needed. The shower dripped all night so we had to keep the door closed.
We had a room in the back which was good for blocking some of the street noice.
However overhead there were several large air conditioners that made a lot of rumbing noice and woke us up when they started up.
There was a door to the walk way to the side rooms that had a dead blot on it which was good.
However your room is exposed to at least 3 other rooms. The room had a push button lock that you would find in your home for a bedroom or a bath. (This type of lock can be easily accessed with a credit card.)
The owner and workers lived in the house next door with the shutters locked over the entrances.
There is no access to the management if you need anything.
When they clean your room and if you have anything set out they seem to have the need to touch your things and move them for no apparent reason. ( It did not interfere with any cleaning.) So we had to actually pack our bags every morning before heading out for the day so that they would touch anything. With all of the above, it did not make for the best of stay and did not match the amount charged for the rooms.
Traveler beware there are no refunds, there is not the ammenities that come standard in hotels
and hopefully if you choose to stay here, you will be spoken to with repect and treated with hospitality.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

38 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Kilgore, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

A stay 905 Royal, apart from having a great view and nice room, isn't a pleasant one. The rooms include a balcony view and privacy; unless the maids are cleaning that is. Upon arriving back to our room during our stay, our belongings were shuffled around and there were items missing. Remotes to the hotel's TVs, two of them, were no where in the room. The blonde woman that oversees the hotel had confronted us about them and blamed us for their loss. We were charged $25 dollars after our stay for something we did not do. Aside from being wrongfully accused, the walls in the room were terribly damaged and the hot water in the sinks did not work. Overall, our stay was bittersweet.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Delta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Cute room with a small creaky double bed and nice private patio - Nice, clean and nicely decorated in antique furnishings. Was informed their would be parking available but it is 5 blocks away so do check in first. Nice fellow was there to greet me and helped with my luggage. Showed me how to get through the iron gate, but warned me to be careful not to trip. Showed me how to relock the wooden gate and warned me to ensure relocking it which made me a little wary. hmmm., and described how to find the parking.
Did you know that they are having the Super Bowl in New Orleans -- Be warned that ALL the streets are torn up . After my lovely two night stay it took me over an hour of driving through one way street to get back close enough to the hotel as most of the roads were blocked for paving and no assistance was offered to help get my luggage to the car from the blonde landlady/owner other than you can put it inside until you get back with the car?? A fellow guest actually helped carry my luggage over tarry Royal Street to my rental car....Thank-You again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter and the patio is lovely.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Litchfield, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

First the good : location/balcony is great and the rooms are quaint. However, if you hope to have any type of privacy or room accessibilty on your terms - not good. Our first morning we went out for breakfast and needed to use the room and were denied access by the maid. She said she needed to clean the room and would not leave when we said we don't need anything cleaned just please leave towels and something to clear up shower drain. She refused to leave, had a mop out cleaning the bathroom and made us wait out in courtyard almost 2 hours before "letting us in". We didn't want to be disagreeable so we didn't say anything to management. Two days later I was horribly sick with migraine and came back to room to get medicine and a quick nap. The maid knocked, and I said through the door that I was sleeping and don't need maid service...she knocked again and I repeated the situation very nicely. Next thing I know there is an argument outside the door and keys are in my door and a woman is shouting INSIDE MY ROOM "she needs to clean up in here"! A blonde woman is glaring at me demanding to let the maid clean the room. I was so ill, confused, outraged yet kept my composure by telling her that I was sick and needed to stay in the room and do not want maid service. This woman belligerently asked "when is she supposed to clean this room? She needs to get in this room!" I was flabbergasted by her rudeness and outright invasion of privacy. If I wasn't about to be sick from the migraine I know I would have been shouting back but told her that the maid could "clean the room" the next day once we leave. By the way, we are decent, clean laid back 40 year olds, so the room was pretty much spotless! When we came back the next day after the maid "cleaned", the shower drain still was backed up since day one and all of my toiletries were in our friend's dop kit as well as personal items that were taken out of bags and put in other bags...really can't stress enough how strange and irrational the staff were - what the heck did they want to clean that took 2 hours in a teeny tiny room? Did not feel welcome at all....

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

My previously booked hotel fell through, and I was scrambling for a place to stay. I just ended up at the Nine-O-Five by chance. I had a wonderful stay. All of the staff were super nice, The room was sweet and cozy. The hotel was excellent!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Earle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

For all you nay-sayers out there, stay home, of it's hair you're looking for, order some Rogaine! We loved this place, the location was perfect. We loved the balcony overlooking the street and the accommodations. To best sum it up, charming would do it best! We loved it and will definitely visit again

Los Angeles, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

This place saved me from the scary Andrew Jackson hotel that is next door. I booked a room at the AJ and when I checked in I freaked out- It was a crack den for sure! So I asked if they could move me..and really to make a very long story short I just went outside to the Nine-O-Five and the owner was so sweet she had a room available and let me check in right then. It is so "New Orleans" really charming and feels like you are staying in your aunts house:)
I have since returned there and had just as great of a stay as the first time.
Actually this review is a long time coming because I just started reviewing but I promised I would do this because the owners are so lovely! Trust me you will not be disappointed.

It's not the Ritz so do not expect that. It is old but it is very New Orleans if that is what you are looking for.

Room Tip: I like the very front room with the porch!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Nine-O-Five Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!