“Charming, Lovely B&B!” 5 of 5 stars

1244 Esplanade Ave., New Orleans, LA 70116   |
Ranked #62 of 144 New Orleans B&B and Inns
“Charming, Lovely B&B!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2006

From the moment we walked in the Rathbone Mansion, we were in awe! Beautiful antique furniture, lovely room with vaulted ceiling and kitchenette, and great ambiance. The breakfasts were delicious, and host was very helpful. Close walking distance to the Quarter. We also loved the jacuzzi! We will definitely be staying at the Rathbone next time we visit New Orleans!

• Stayed November 2004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2005

This was the worst two nights vacation that I have spent anywhere!! A friend set this deal up and I was foolish enough to listen to a local who supposedly knew the city. We arrived during a heat wave and found not only a filthy room, but no air conditioning in 100+ heat. I got sick and there was about 2 squares of toilet paper to be had; of course no staff at night to provide any either. I agree with the reviewer who appropriately called this place the Ratbone Inn. Spend a few more dollars and find a clean comfortable place or save your money and sleep on the street. At least it would be cooler.

• Stayed June 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2005

I live in New Orleans less than 3 miles from the Inn and decided to take a weekend vacation in my own city. We had been to a wedding at the Inn in the past and were curious about the rooms for a possible wedding venue of our own. I am very familiar with bed and breakfasts all the way up the Mississippi River and I have to say this was my least favorite. There was another review that this is a place to stay "where the locals go". Speaking as a local "DO NOT GO".

The room had no class. The room was filled with bad reproductions and unattractive linens/curtains/paint color. Not to mention the reproduction bed was missing two posts on a four posture bed. Also, the wayward posts were stored visibly in the room. The bathroom was small, with an even smaller stand up shower. The toilet seat was even too small for the toilet. The room was mis-matched, uninviting, and only superficially clean. The pool was the best feature. Too bad you can't sleep in a pool.

I love my city and know we have much more to offer our lovely visitors. I want people to go home and be overwhelmed with our hospitality and charm. Please do not choose to stay here because you will be cheating yourself.

• Stayed May 2005
Puyallup Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2005

This was my fourth trip to New Orleans and second stay at the Rathbone Inn. Our last trip my group stayed in Rathbone II due to AC problems in #1. While the #2 has been refurbished (finishing work when last there) I found the room to be nice but more like a standard motel room.
However on this visit I really enjoyed the larger apartment like setting that allowed my friend and I have to have our own space. True Rathbone I needs some TLC and Richard remarked it was going to be shut down soon for it (to a hefty amount), but unlike some of the other reviews I've found the staff to be more than helpful and friendly and have not feared for my safety while there.
I think if travelers want to stay in classic Inn's and become part of the city, Rathbone Inn 1 and 2 can be a great deal. If your picky and want t.v. remotes, and hotel services than stay in one on Canal Street or in the quarter and pay the price.

• Stayed May 2005
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2005

My best friend and I stayed at the Rathbone in March of '05 and found it to be pleasant, affordable and really just what we had hoped for and expected.
Our room was in the Rathbone II house (and we have absolutely no connections to the innkeeper as other reviews suggest you have to have to get the desirable rooms! ) Our room was really very large for an older home, featuring floor to ceiling windows that made the room light and airy. It was clean and featured a fridge for us to store sodas and snacks. The beds were comfy with clean sheets and comforters that were tasteful and looked pretty new. The room was on the front of the building, so we enjoyed access to the second floor balcony, a perfect place to rest tired feet, read, and watch the world go by in the afternoons before going out at night. Coming to New Orleans we knew that the Rathbone was a little outside of the French Quarter (which it was). It's about a 12 minute walk to the heart of Bourbon St. This was fine during the day, although during the night we opted for cabs -- which are readily available and each one had a very friendly driver (the best I've seen in all my personal and biz travel.)
We enjoyed tasty breakfasts each morning featuring warm biscuits and fresh fruit. Our host was friendly and accomodating to our needs.
The only drawbacks might be the distance, the somewhat thin walls (but what are you really going to do about that?) and the pool didn't look that tempting. I think it was a plus for the families with kids though.

• Stayed March 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2005

I live in a historic neighborhood, and I understand that old buildings often lack the amenities of a newer hotel. However, the Rathbone Inn lacks a modicum of cleanliness and safety.

All the windows in my suite were nailed shut, pretty much guaranteeing that in case of a fire I'd be smoked alive (Cajun blackened traveler?). And no sense calling for help on the phone in the room because the number to reach the front desk is printed incorrectly on the phone. Housekeeping service consisted of the housekeeper simply depositing a plastic bag of linens on the floor of the room....never mind picking up the dirty linens or even cleaning the room. The floor was so dirty that if I walked just a couple steps barefoot the soles of my feet became black with grime. Oh yeah, and the dried bodily fluids that stained my blanket.....GROSS! There's lots more that I could complain about, but don't get me started.

I appreciated the opportunity to support a small business and experience a beautiful city like New Orleans, but the Rathbone was a big disappointment and a big waste of money.

RathboneGM, General Manager at Rathbone Mansions, responded to this review, November 26, 2010
To all previous guests, I'm the New General Manager of the property as of 10-22-2010, I have replaced all employees, re-keyed the entire property, I have done numerous upgrades on all rooms, such as new bed spreads, complete cleaning of both properties at 1227 Esplanade Rathbone I and Rathbone II at 1224 Esplanade Ave. The Jacuzzi/Pool have both been fixed--The jacuzzi is the only one that is heated, the pool is not heated as it's seasonal. The breakfast person is wonderful and we have completely revamped our breakfast. Their is on-going updates that I'm doing as well as an overhaul of our own website and I will post a blog that will let you know about the updates as I have completed them, once our new website is up and running, which should happen in the next few weeks. One of the major upgrades in process is putting in flat screen tv's in the rooms. The Wireless Internet has been updated so that people have a better signal while in their rooms. I've also added a wireless TV that you can check your email, print out boarding passes, emails ect in the Breakfast/Living Area at 1244 Esplanade Ave where you check in and have breakfast. Breakfast hours are from 8:30am-10:30am CST and then it opens back up at 3pm-5:30pm. Also the reservation hours have been updated to Monday-Friday 9am-5:30pm CST and Friday & Saturdays are from 10am-12pm CSTand Check in is from 3pm-5:30pm Monday-Friday, after hours and on weekends, we must be contacted directly so that we can give you the instructions for self check in. To any guest that wants to give us a try again in the future contact me directly and I will be happy to give you a discount or free night in combination with a 3 night stay or longer, excluding special events/conventions. Also we are pet friendly, but that will require a $50.00 non refundable deposit and the pets can not be left unattended as they get anxiety and they will disturb other guests, other wise we have boarding options available for you. I hope everyone will see this and understand that NEW Management is a good thing and makes everything better when you have someone that has been updating hotels for over 15 years and will take very good care of our guests.

Best Regards,

Kristian Armer
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2004

Stayed at Rathbone I on the north-bound side of the street. What a horrible thing to have happened to a historic home! Cut up into apartments in most likely the mid 80's, I doubt the rooms had even been painted since then. There was a refrigerator left from that time rusting away in the room. The bathroom was water damaged and equipped with the cheapest apartment special fixtures I have ever seen. The heater/ac was partialy dissasembled and non-functional. Furniture was cheap particle board reproduction and was damaged.

It was a horrible excuse for a historic inn. It would apear that those guests "in" with the hosts were given posh rooms across the street at Rathbone II where the hosts live. It seems that Rathbone I is used as an over-priced tourist trap in order to finance the renovations on rathbone II and pad the wallets of the owners. To the owners - you are letting a historic gem waste away for personal profit and esentially ripping off half of your clients by placing them in these rooms.
To those thinking of staying, it is your choice to take the gamble of which home you will get. I think your odds are better and your money better spent elsewhere. I left this "Inn" feeling like a sucker who just fell for the old bait and switch.

• Stayed January 2005

Been to Rathbone Mansions? Share your experiences!