“We will absolutely be back!” 5 of 5 stars

Rathbone Mansions
1244 Esplanade Ave., New Orleans, LA 70116 (Mid-City)   |
Ranked #66 of 145 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Watford, Ontario, Canada
“We will absolutely be back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We just got home from a week long stay at the Rathbone and had a fantastic time! We were there as a group of 9 and booked 5 rooms. Everyone was totally happy with their rooms...no complaints about anything! The covered back patio and swimming pool area made staying as a group even more enjoyable as we had lots of room to all hang out together and have some drinks. The breakfasts in the mornings were way beyond our expectations...just excellent. Pat and the whole staff were friendly, very helpful, and just a lot of fun to be around. It was like being at the cottage with friends, but with Bourbon Street and Frenchman Street both just a short walk away...perfect! We plan to keep visiting New Orleans regularly, and I don't see any reason why we would even think about staying anywhere else from now on.

Room Tip: Pat gave my wife and I the Louis Armstrong Suite for our last night there. Separate bedroom, beautif...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

248 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

This is a great place to stay. Close to Bourbon St and other points in interest in the French Quarter and beyond. Easily walkable if you are able to walk. Pat is a very kind woman, who is full of information, and is willing to provide any information that you may need about your stay in New Orleans. She makes different, tasty breakfasts in the morning, along side the staple foods like toast, cereal, muffins, etc. The room we stayed in was a suite and was wonderful. Very quaint and the building is awesome! The pool in the back is very relaxing, private, and salt water! When we return to New Orleans, we will definitely stay here again! Thanks again Pat for letting us park our car.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
San Antonio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

My wife and I stayed here with two other couples over a long weekend celebrating the recent nuptials of some friends. We drove in late in the day so the office was closed when we arrived but there we clear instructions for us on how to get to our rooms. The first pleasant surprise that we had was that our newlywed couple had their room upgraded for free! That added a wonderful touch to the beginning of our stay. Now neither of the couples that we were traveling with had ever stayed in a BnB before and were doing so on my wife and I's recommendation so it set the tone off quite well to start our stay. The BnB has two properties both of which are on Esplanade and are across the street from each other more or less. The pool is located at one property which also has the breakfast room and parking so if your staying at the other property you'll have to walk across the street to use these things which for us wasn't a big deal. Parking is limited but there is plenty of street parking just don't block a driveway. Besides, the best way to see a city is on foot and New Orleans is no exception. The location of the place is about a 6 block walk(10 minutes) down Esplanade to the quarter so there is no need to drive and the walk is quite safe. It's two blocks north of Port O'Call so I'd suggest stopping by there on the way to the Quarter for a Monsoon to get your trip started of right!The room that we had was on the 3rd floor of the second and there is no elevator so be prepared to climb stairs. Having stayed at BnB's before this was no big deal for me but you may feel differently. The room was very large and furnished very tastefully.Being on the third floor made it very light filled and had a comfortable feel about it. Overall our stay was very pleasant and our friends enjoyed their stay at Rathbone Mansions so they can look to us being repeat offenders at their properties the next time we are in Nola!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

While Rathbone Mansions has that old-time NOLA charm, it definately has a fun, youthful vibe. If you are in your 20s, you'll be right at home. If you are older, you'll remember what life was like when you were young.
Esplande Avenue has been a witness to a long history of good times and hard times. Hurricane Katrina left her mark, and as a consequence there is a lot of rehabbing going on in the neighborhood. The two houses comprising the Rathbone Mansions are on opposite sides of the street. It helps to know that your particular room may be on the other side from where you park, in back at 1244. Check-in is secure, but informal. Pat was there to greet and guide us. She is a gem.
The buildings have a genuine old New Orleans grace on the outside. This is not part of a motel chain. It is different. The building where we stayed was built in 1850, thus much had to be changed to suit various uses over the last 163 years. The first floor hallway is well preserved. There is a long, graceful flight of stairs. There are a couple rooms in the front, and more through the fire exit. Those rooms overlook a courtyard.
Our room was decorated as a celebration of the Saints winning the Superbowl. We had a small bathroom, kingsized bed, an eating area, and a balcony with a table and chairs. We were cool and comfortable. The little window air conditioner worked brilliantly. There were a couple of maintenance issues, but if you have ever worked on an old house, you understand. The issues are minor.
The breakfast area is in the 1244 building, and the ladies will fix you a nice breakfast, served in the dining room, decorated in contemporary New Orleans style. Behind that building is a garden area with a BYOB bar, hot tub and salt water swimming pool. All in all, we found Rathbone Mansions to be charming, and certainly memorable.
Wear your walking shoes. It is a bit of a hike to the shops and restaurants of the French Quarter, but very do-able and interesting along the way. (If you forget, like I did, there is an Aerosoles shoe store in the quarter with bargains for suffering soles.)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

This place is AWESOME! This was my first trip to New Orleans and I'm already planning the next one. The Rathbone was so much more than I expected. If you stay here I promise you will not be disappointed. We arrived later than expected, around 6 pm and the office was already closed. We found our
envelopes ( I was traveling with my husband and another couple) by the door with our names on them. I was a little nervous because I had read some reviews on this site that said that the self check in process was complicated. We opened the envelopes and they contained clear, concise, easy to understand instruction on how to retrieve our keys and get to our room. We easily found parking ( which was another concern due to other reviews) behind the property at 1244 and on the street. We were happily surprised to find out we'd been upgraded to a king free of charge! The room was clean, cool, and and had the most comfortable bed I'd ever slept on. The court yard was lovely and full of plant life. There were plenty of places to sit, relax and enjoy the out doors. Above all I enjoyed the location of the property. It was an easy walk to Boubon street and had none of the noise associated with staying in the French Quarter. I felt completely comfortable in this neighborhood and safe walking to and from everywhere we went. I only encountered one panhandler on Esplande, compared to about 10 on Bourbon street. There are several bus stops handy if your interested , or you can easily hail a cab, we did both during our stay. Breakfast was awesome. I loved the scrambled egg, and the blueberry pancakes were wonderful! Every staff member I met was pleasant and professional. I even got a hug when I checked out! I can't recommend this place enough!

• Stayed June 2013
baker
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

my best friend and I decided to have a girl's weekend1 year ago the reason I'm writing this review is is to stand as a honest witness to the negative reviews I have read about this place ,also it burns me up that the general manager responded to other negative reviews with smug rude remarks instead of professional sincere apologies his/her attitude reflects the very condition of his business STINKS! Upon arriving at the mansion we inspected our room. The room was dirty dingy,musty and contained a hole in the floor. I also identified what I seriously believe was rodent drippings.(I know gross right) my friend and I immediately fled back to our car and got book it on the phone they moved us THANK YOU BOOK IT.COM I don't know the condition of rathbone mansions now as I have never been back but I was very disappointed because I desperately wanted to stay somewhere with a

Room Tip: Inspect your room first!
Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Never having stayed at a bed and breakfast before, I was unsure what to expect. All concerns were dropped as soon as we walked in the front door. Pat, our lovely inkeeper, greeted us with fresh coffee and breakfast as we finished up our paperwork - she had even given us a free upgrade for our room! Every morning consisted of a hot, made-to-order breakfast. Every afternoon we spent in the clean, refreshing salt-water pool. Both of the mansions were classic New Orleans style decorations, but still classy. Our room was across the street from the main building, which included a beautiful courtyard that we spent plenty of time relaxing in between the day's events. Besides the interior, Rathbone is the perfect distance from the French Quarter - an easy ten minute walk. I could go on about how great the stay was, but if you're looking for an affordable option that isn't a cheap musty hotel- look no more! We will definitely be staying there again in future trips to New Orleans.

Room Tip: The main house has the pool, but the second mansion is a bit more peaceful with the courtyard. Ask f...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Rathbone Mansions? Share your experiences!