“Elegant, Excellent Staff. Would stay here again.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans

You added The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   921 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #27 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Tennessee
“Elegant, Excellent Staff. Would stay here again.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

As some of the previous reviews stated, hotel is older, not perfect but very nice, very comfortable. The lobby, indoor public space and courtyard were a pleasant surprise. Restaurant was exceptional, wait staff top notch. High cost for internet service, no coffee maker in room, no pressure in shower could be addressed. Great location, short walk to several very good restaurants and Bourbon Street.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
worldwide
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

I'm a 30-something high end traveler, frequently travelling for work and leisure in the US, Europe, and Middle and Far East. I work hard and love to party, and was excited to take a few days off from a trip to NYC to head to New Orleans for great food, music, and some of the most genuine, friendly people you'll ever meet. The City delivered on all three; it's a wonderful place and my only regret is that I'm not able to return to that wonderful city more often.

The Ritz Carleton brand, has always had a storied reputation among Les Grandes Dames of the hotel world - Ritz Place Vendome is beyond awesome (with a price tag to match). I've stayed at a few other Ritz locations in the US and Middle East though, and they always felt like tarted up 4 stars. The Ritz New Orleans fell to the bottom of the later characterization. She's an old showgirl, tired and worn, the pain from her massive bunions becoming unbearable as her old routine teeters on, turning to progressively down market crowds in her efforts to make a buck.

Enough of the rambling analogies, I know New Orleans is a City where there are no open container laws and even this "sophisticated gentlemen" could be seen bouncing down Bourbon with a 'hand grenade', but in the Ritz I had the pleasure of finding discarded cans of beer in the halls, in the elevators, in the lobby. Not cool guys, this isn't Animal House.

The Hotel that week was hosting a convention of, I believe, Gift Fruit store owners, distributors, and suppliers. Not the crowd I normally hang with but very nice, hard working people who I'm sure contribute to an important part of the American economy. However... but there's something about wading through crowds of half-price conventioners every time I walk through the lobby on my way up from or to my $400/ night hotel room that detracts from the whole experience. I know there's not always going to be a gift fruit convention, but clearly they're working the convention crowd angle, which is fine, if you’re the Holiday Inn.

The concierge and hotel management were terrible. So bad, in fact, that just thinking about my experience with them makes me want to ‘bazooka-puke’ all over my keyboard. Intrusive, disruptive, going so far as to suggest I find another hotel when I strongly objected to being disturbed four times in the course of an hour over a mix-up on check out times. Common' really - just apologize and stop knocking on my door when I'm sleeping; it's that easy. ("Greg, what is the worst fraternity on this campus?")

The room was large, but nondescript, the view was of a parking lot, the entire experience lacked any trace of either elegance of ‘cool factor’. The lobby was nice, but not overwhelming; the marble on the stairs from the front entrance is chipped; the door men were very nice, but seem to be part time employees because they were never there.

The only positive aspect was the location, right on the edge of the French Quarter, close enough to be on top of the action, far enough not to be stuck in it.

Overall, if you get a half-price room, maybe $200 or less a night, then go for it- you can't beat the location. If you're in town for a leisurely trip and looking for a more genuine New Orleans feel, with pleasant staff and real style, then go somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

We stayed on the Club Level. Very nice! Elegant and private, with separate entrance from the rest of the hotel guests. Food was excellent on club level, but, we stayed for a week, and the repeated offering became somewhat tedious. But, food was abundant, and liquor and beverages, and snacks were endless. I really enjoyed the antiques, like the cheese cart, and the excellent gumbo. Our suite was one of the most beautiful I have ever seen, with fireplaces, canopied beds, and marble everywhere. While I do not expect things to always be brand new, I do expect them to be clean and not stained--the Ritz can do better in this department, especially at the rates they collect. We had Thanksgiving Brunch in the Main dining room on Thanksgiving Day--this was the most expensive brunch I have ever been to. I believe the bill was approaching $200 or more for 2. HOWEVER, it was also the very nicest brunch I have ever experienced! There were so many different types of foods that you could not possibly try everything. Nonetheless, it was the absolute most impressive spread I have personally ever seen. We sometimes went down to have breakfast in the dining room. This was my only complaint. The food was sometimes poor. Sometimes the service was even worse. One morning, the waiter took about 45 minutes to bring an order of waffles. His attitude was very sullen and dismissive in the first place. The waffles arrived cold and hard like bricks, like they had been sitting around for awhile. Needless to say, we complained. I was more insulted over the waiters attitude towards us than the poor quality of the food. The Ritz did their best to make it up to us by inviting us to a "special" dinner which we accepted. They pulled out all the RC stops for this dinner, and I must say, I was impressed. Eventhough I am not a big wine drinker, they served a different premium wine with each course of this meal. I simply do not care about wines that much, but, I knew they were going first class with each offering--so I certainly appreciated the jesture. There were probably 10 or 12 courses to the meal, by the way. Frankly, they seerved us so many things, I can't even recall what all we had, except, I do remember the trio of gumbos which was impressive and very good. The manager of the restaurant came over and spent a great deal of time with us, and also apologized for our poor experience in the hotel dining room. We were very happy that they bent over to make things right with us--after all, while not high rollers, we are very regular visitors to the RC hotel chain, and I do EXPECT things to be right. Frankly this level of service and caring is the difference between the Ritz and the Marriott, for example...and we are willing to pay for that. When things aren't right, we EXPECT that the Ritz will fix it, not just say: "too bad". So, things were mostly as expected--excellent. When they weren't, I believe the RC stepped up to fix it. Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Chadds Ford, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

The hotel is beautifully appointed and very well-kept. Our room was immaculate, inviting and restful, though a bit small. Our request for a courtyard room was honored. The public areas are the hotel's strongest point; the lobby (once you find it) is elegant and comfortable and a great place to sit and people watch for a while. Ditto for the pretty courtyard. The Davenport Lounge is everything a hotel bar should be, but rarely is: lots of inviting chairs and sofas, good music, friendly staff and a convivial atmosphere. The peculiar elevators are a bit of a pain, but you get used to them. Certainly not a reason to avoid the hotel.

Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Cape Town, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

Everything was great. The only thing that was less than great was the arrangement of the lobby - on level 3. Became a bit of a pain getting to the street and back to the room (change elevators at level 3)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

My family and I stayed at the Ritz Carlton New Orleans for New Years for three nights. You could tell the hotel was full but this did not affect the service. We stayed in standard rooms, which is the most basic rooms you can get, and we found the decor to be classic. Wood furniture, comfortable beds, beautiful upholstered fabrics. Ritz Carlton's are usually decorated classic vs modern but they still have all the modern amenities, some people may consider this dated but I certainly don't!
The room was always cleaned in a timely manner. Room service was good and had fast service, even on January 1st, you can imagine how many people were choosing to order breakfast in their room after a long night.
The hotel is a block and half away from Bourbon.
The only reason why I give it a four star on service is because the concierge service wasn't the best. I guess the concierge felt we were asking too many questions and after our third question to cut us off she answered a questions and went into a back room, leaving us standing there. Also we took a walking tour at the recommendation of the concierge, we thought we were taking it with a serious company and it turns out the meeting point was on the sidewalk in front of a restaurant and the tour guide took cash only. It was just a little weird...didn't expect that from a concierge recommendation.
Overall great hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

This hotel is in a convenient location near the French Quarter, the building is quite nice, and the staff are uniformly pleasant, friendly and helpful. However, the guest rooms feel very dirty and dated. Carpets, upholstery, wall coverings and curtains in our "executive suite" were grubby and needed replacing, housekeeping tidied but did not seriously clean the rooms daily (i.e., no vacuuming), fresh bedding did not always seem clean, and we were fairly certain that there were bedbugs in our first room (the hotel promptly changed us...but it was very unsettling).

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans? Share your experiences!