“Perfect Location, Perfect Stay...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans

You added The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   921 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #30 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Chicago
“Perfect Location, Perfect Stay...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

I heard that you always book a hotel near the French Quarter, but didn't understand why until my recent visit to the Big Easy. Everything is in walking distance- food, music, bars, retail stores, etc. We stayed at this beautiful hotel when it first opened 10 years ago and it feels brighter and fresher than it did back then, if that's possible.

We checked in for a romantic weekend and even treated ourselves to some spa time. This is the perfect hotel in the perfect city to enjoy a perfect stay. We walked to some of the most famous restaurants in New Orleans, like Galatoire's and Arnaud's and then went out in the French Quarter to some jazz clubs. We didn't have to worry about renting a car or getting a taxi. We walked everywhere. I heard the Garden District and Magazine Street are great, but we were happy just enjoying the French Quarter.

The hotel smells of gardenias and when I asked the lovely girl at the front desk about the scent, she told me that I could buy the candles in the hotel's retail store. I did and when I unpacked my bags, the scent of gardenias reminded me our romantic weekend! What a treat!

We will be back to New Orleans and we will stay at this pristine hotel. It was all that we remembered and more.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

We booked with the Ritz because we wanted the service. It's not the cheapest but we all know that. We booked into the club rooms which had a lounge with drinks and snacks at all hours and a concierge who were so wonderfully helpful. I don't believe you can beat the service offered in America and the Ritz certainly lives up to the expectations of class and luxury.

Beautiful room, large bathroom, they even gave me hair straighteners to borrow when I realised my UK ones wouldn't work.

Best bit for me ... 24hour candy and cookie bar in the club lounge. What more do you want?!

Springfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

This was a leisure trip with another couple; we had adjoining "deluxe" rooms on an upper floor facing Canal St. We were awakened several times each night of our 4-night stay, in the hours after midnight, due to sirens from various emergency vehicles and from what sounded like drag-racing engines or unmuffled Harleys nearby. Service was always excellent, especially in the Davenport lounge/restaurant where the food was excellent, far better than some of the high-end meals we ate at some restaurants in the French Quarter. There was usually a doorman to hold the Canal St. door open, but about 10-20% of the time, he wasn't there. There is no revolving door at this spot. The regular help at the restaurants, the maids, the doormen and bellmen were very friendly and pleasant.

The heating/air conditioning system worked very well in our room. There was a 42 inch (guess at size) LCD tv with several HD channels. The room was attractively decorated (only two quarter-sized black stains on the carpet), but much more light would've been greatly appreciated - the light is from lamps - no overhead lighting in the main section. The bathroom had marble floors and had a bathtub with shower rather than a glass-enclosure shower; water pressure was just adequate. The bathroom itself could've used some lights over the large mirror - it was relatively dark standing at the sink when looking in the mirror. There was also no venting fan in the bathroom which made for some easily heard embarrassing noises and odors! The feather bed was soft and so comfortable - it made our firm mattress at home seem like concrete in comparison. The pillows were comfortable too. Our room was a deluxe as was our friends' room, but their room was a few square feet larger.

There is an ethernet connection for internet; our friends said it cost them to use it. There is a small room near registration with several computers; it costs $7.50 for the first 15 minutes.

Parking is expensive - with tax it's about $42.50 per 24 hour period. I asked for subtotaled bills during our stay and kept getting charged the parking fee (we had NO car and just used taxis). I'd show it to the registration clerks and the fee would get removed (without the clerks saying they were sorry), then added back on for the next day! Our friends did not get charged the parking fee, but were charged for other services they had not used. So check your bill carefully and ask for a subtotal every few days.

The concierge desk offers tips, but doesn't seem to know the good tours. The city tour we got saw mostly things like the outside of a graveyard (not the streets inside it) and areas where already wretched houses in seedy areas had been wiped out by Katrina as we heard diatribes about the gov't handling of the aftermath. The swamp airboat tour ($90 pp) we also booked thru the concierge desk was terrible compared to one we took a few years ago. The boat barely moved as we sat looking at swamp plants. How unexciting. Finally, the concierge recommendation of shopping along Magazine Ave was WAY overrated; I would skip this area entirely (and hire a new concierge staff).

San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

We have stayed at The Ritz Carlton in New Orleans on several occasions. One occasion was for my daughter's wedding. The guest rooms were beautiful and the staff always helpful. We needed a steamer ASAP - no problem. Everyone enjoyed the jazz music and dancing in the main bar. The concierge service went above and beyond. On another occasion we were upgraded to a Club Room. The decor was gorgeous and the club level breakfast, cocktails and late night snacks plentiful. If you are going to stay in New Orleans - The Ritz Carlton is the only hotel I would recommend

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2010

My second visit to the hotel and again we could not fault a single thing. We stayed on the club floors and had a couple of rooms all were different shape/design. The club lounge is staffed by people you'd like to hang out with. Full of knowledge on the city, happy to talk share, recommend and just make u feel happy you're there. In fact one night we didn't even leave the lounge!

We played a noisy game of charades in the library and not one objection... we forgot where we were!

My mom has already started to ask when we can go again. We love this hotel mostly because of the staff... it is a long walk to the club rooms so advice would be to enter on the street where the club rooms have direct elevator.

The hotel is right in the party district but at enough of a distance that you are away from the noise but close enough to walk.

We adore it & will be back.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

Great, classy hotel within walking distance to everything. The only downside? It needs an outdoor pool!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

Having stayed at this hotel numerous times, I am always nervous about which Ritz Carlton I will see upon arrival. Several stays in the past were marred by poor service, staff needing an attitude adjustment, poorly run spa. This time something drastic has changed at the hotel -- everything is perfect.

Friendly greeting by car valet. Extremely friendly welcome at front desk with a very well informed desk clerk who could tell me exactly where the room was located (specifically asked for our Executive One Bedroom Suite not to face Canal Street). Room was extremely large, one full bath, parlor and additional 1/2 bath. Extremely clean, QUIET, well maintained, fresh. Every staff member welcomed us in the hallways and lobby, bell stand and concierge worked as they should -- and have not in the past.

I was extremely pleased to see that the spa is now being run more professionally than I have seen in the past 5 years. The facilities are always well kept but it appears additional training has taken place so the staff understand their tasks. In the past no one would recommend that as soon as you enter there is no cell phone usage and to lower your voice so others can enjoy the facilities. I have had to leave on occasion in the past due to loud conversations both on phones and among staff. I am also excited to see some additions to the massage offerings such as Thai massage. Both my husband and I had excellent masseuses (Angel is very highly trained and I would recommend her to everyone).

I don't know what has happened but the improvements have brought this hotel back where it started - the top hotel in New Orleans. I plan to write Simon Cooper, President & CEO my thoughts so he can be aware that improvements have been made.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans? Share your experiences!